Views:	26
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	312274

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	312264

Stated to be focused on "extreme performance", not accoustics. Finally, some sensible people! Pricing to be around the $130-150, which is alright for me, performance-to-price wise.
Currently for TR4/X sockets, full compatibility range (2011/66, AM4, et al) come launch.
My Mercury S8 is ready.

More info here: https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

Linus already has a video on it:

And this from Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...osiphon-cooler

[Update, 01/16/20] PCWorld coverage:

[Update, 02/07/20] KitGuru coverage:

This is promising because it's something new (well, in the PC air cooling market specifically), because we've really hit a limit with traditional air coolers, because whatever the solution i'd still want reliability and longevity, and because assuming performance and pricing won't be too far off from what's showcased? It's something that other manufacturers could follow up on, with all that entails, competition driving innovation and advancement.

-- am not promoting, am not advising for pre-orders. I'll wait for reviews of the final product, assuming it does come out. Just happy a well-known tech is finally been applied to our corner of the market --

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 02-07-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 44 (Unique: 27)
By the way the irony's not lost on me, actually linking a Linus Tech Tips video, in a post i've made.. yeah, i know..

Thing is, some time back i was looking at a specific unit from Noctua's custom designs and was thinking how nice it would be if anyone went that way but commercially, air, two/three fans in a row, 90 degrees turn on the mounting. Niche due to the crap they sell for "PC cases" today, wouldn't fit most of them, but for those that had the space and intake.. and now not only is there someone actually intent on introducing just that, they're actually doing it with an application we know has legs, but for reasons mainly related to greed no one had bothered with; not really, not yet anyway.
Could be something.

post #3 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 21)
That is impressive. I wonder if its using Doyll's oscillating heatpipes? It's not outrageously expensive either.

Would it only work well on large die HEDT CPU's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Would it only work well on large die HEDT CPU's?
Principle's the same, so i cannot think how it'd be limited to them. Assuming all else was equal, surface is a major factor in dissipation, but a universal one, applying everywhere.
Not exactly my forte thermodynamics, but, they do seem to think likewise, they've mentioned all sockets will be supported come launch.

post #5 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
When you look at Tom's test with the fans at 50% you can see there isn't much difference between the noctua and the ice-giant.
post #6 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:02 AM
Meep

Rep: 316 (Unique: 227)
It's an interesting product for sure, first of its kind that actually seems to have potential to be better than the current high end air coolers.

The increased fin density on the production version is a bit concerning tho, I really hope that doesn't kill low rpm performance.
post #7 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:11 AM
Have you seen my Baseball

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Looks pretty awesome. A horizontal mount case would be a must. And only $150, I'd consider this if it performs.
post #8 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
with the fans at 50% you can see there isn't much difference between the noctua and the ice-giant.
This is a product that is advertised as "focused on extreme performance, not acoustics".
This is a product that will be shipping with Delta fans. Or at the least, is currently mounted with.

And you post to inform us about how it performs at half of its potential. I mean sure, i'm certain it will perform even worse at 20%, but way i see it, if it matches the 'Performance King' at barely 50%, why, we might be on to something, who knows!
Was there a point in your post that i'm missing?

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
The increased fin density on the production version is a bit concerning tho, I really hope that doesn't kill low rpm performance.
Almost certain it will affect it, yeah; but again, not their audience. For what they advertise it as, it's a welcome move, obvious reasons.

Quote: Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
A horizontal mount case would be a must
Or a Silverstone chassis (the CPU stand), or even a self-made one. Be it with 3d printing, a dremel in the back yard, or even a trip to a CnC shop.
An extra step for most, granted, but then again, if they were fine with GPU sag? And if they weren't, solutions existed. Well, until recently sadly. Am not trying to be picky/snobbish either, i just honestly never understood how folks felt fine wasting 4 or even 5digit numbers on a single build, but had no issue housing it on a $150ish plastic piece of 'case'.
Again no offense, kudos if it worked for them, to each their own; but if i can now have my toys please, i for one did invest where it matters.

Last edited by Aenra; 12-16-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #9 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
oh dear did you forget to take your lithium this morning.

They are going to supply fans based on fan speed, noise level and airflow.

those delta fans make a lot of noise and there is only 4C difference in temps between the ice giant and the noctua.

its ******* massive to the point to too big.

the delta fans at 50% are as loud as the noctua's at 100%.

so its more expensive, way way bigger, much louder and only 4C cooler which makes bugger all difference.

so why are you getting your pants in a twist?

Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
This is a product that is advertised as "focused on extreme performance, not acoustics".
This is a product that will be shipping with Delta fans. Or at the least, is currently mounted with.

And you post to inform us about how it performs at half of its potential. I mean sure, i'm certain it will perform even worse at 20%, but way i see it, if it matches the 'Performance King' at barely 50%, why, we might be on to something, who knows!
Was there a point in your post that i'm missing?
post #10 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
Quick glance; pics are not of same cooler / same condenser size as in dimensional drawings are. Seems there is quite a difference between 2019 & 2020 models.
2020 looks almost the same as Captherm MP-1140 shown at CES 2015
https://www.legitreviews.com/ces-2015-captherm_157114

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 12-21-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in