VRM Fan replacement - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

VRM Fan replacement

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
80c still isn't dangerous territory for a VRM. Most of the components in the VRM are spec'd for at least 105c @ 10K hours.

True enough, but like I said...eventually it's going to get much hotter. If I'm going through the trouble of water-cooling everything, may as well be preemptive when it comes to the vrm. I'm good if it hits 70-80c, that is a normal operating temp. But was more concerned whether or not it would be more effective to buy a $15 fan or re-work the air flow through the case. I know it doesn't need much "flow" to take heat with it. But considering there isn't much flow in the entire case anyway, well a 60mm fan would do the job. Said before it wasn't critical, just wanted to keep it all to reasonable temps if/when I do get the chance to really push the system. Hence the research on a fan, quality, cfm, etc. and not a big push to get it all done now. Believe me have far bigger fish on the line right now. Oh, here's a good one...what in the world is a "rep" on here? I wanted to post a WTB and according to the forum I need 35 'reps'. It doesn't say what they are and the administrators I've contacted haven't replied. Wasn't looking for much, just some dupont cimp on pins and some connectors. Figured if somebody would sell some leftovers and send them in an envelope for a couple bucks vs. spending a buck for the parts and 6 for shipping lol Anyway, thought at first a rep was in relation to posting. ex: 100 posts = 1 rep or something like that. But I've seen people on here with 300 posts and 40 reps, and people with 3 thousand posts and 10 reps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 479 (Unique: 325)
That "rep" is supposed to mean "reputation". If you look on the left of a post written by someone, there's a rectangular area with their user name and some details. There's a "Rep: ..." line there. At the bottom of that area, you see two icons that you can click for giving +1 reputation and for reporting someone. The icon with the flame look is the one for +1 reputation.

You basically need to help other people or write some interesting post. There's then always the chance that someone will click the +1 rep button on a post you made.

Those 35 rep you need can take a super long time because most people do not know about that whole rep stuff. The idea to click on the rep button will then never pop up in their mind and they will never click it.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
80c still isn't dangerous territory for a VRM. Most of the components in the VRM are spec'd for at least 105c @ 10K hours.
Damn...my VR VCC temp hits 98C when running P95 all on stock clocks and auto voltage! wth?

Core i9-9900k 4.8GHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | 8x4 Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz 16, 18, 18, 36 | GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WaterForce WB | Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus 2TB | EVGA Supernova 1000p2 | Heatkiller IV Basic | Custom loop | Swiftech MCP655 | Alphacool Rads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
That "rep" is supposed to mean "reputation". If you look on the left of a post written by someone, there's a rectangular area with their user name and some details. There's a "Rep: ..." line there. At the bottom of that area, you see two icons that you can click for giving +1 reputation and for reporting someone. The icon with the flame look is the one for +1 reputation.

You basically need to help other people or write some interesting post. There's then always the chance that someone will click the +1 rep button on a post you made.

Those 35 rep you need can take a super long time because most people do not know about that whole rep stuff. The idea to click on the rep button will then never pop up in their mind and they will never click it.

Ahhhhh, appreciate that. That was the only thing I could think as well. That you help somebody or offer information and you get one from an admin or something. Like I ask questions, you give me an answer that solves the problem and I tell the admin what a great help you were. But that makes sense, much easier leaving it up to each other. LOL guess I won't be getting to post the WTB then. No biggie, had some other stuff to order and remembered to add the connectors/pins to it. Last time I forgot and like I said, really didn't want to pay the $6 shipping for $1 worth of parts. Unfortunately where we moved to I don't have an electronics store to pickup things locally. Used to have an amazing one near Detroit that I shopped at for almost 20 years. Anything you could imagine and a few things you'd never think of, this guy had it. We live in Al now and it's hard finding the simplest of things locally. So the internet has been the greatest source of parts.

Anyway, appreciate the help from everybody. Ultimately was just looking for a simple fix, so at least it was figured out. I'll try a few things once the new fans come in and maybe use some acrylic sheet to create some air channels. But need to get a couple other projects done first. Going to post pics in the liquid cool section once they are completed.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 05:26 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1248 (Unique: 682)
Quote: Originally Posted by memery.uag View Post
Damn...my VR VCC temp hits 98C when running P95 all on stock clocks and auto voltage! wth?

do you know that's your VRM temp sensor? a lot of boards don't have a sensor for the VRM. mine doesn't.

98C isn't really a worrying temperature while running Prime95 on a 9900K though, I'd be worried if you were hitting 98c when idle on the desktop but not under a 100% all core load.

it would take you over a year running Prime95 24/7 to hit 10K hours.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
do you know that's your VRM temp sensor? a lot of boards don't have a sensor for the VRM. mine doesn't.

98C isn't really a worrying temperature while running Prime95 on a 9900K though, I'd be worried if you were hitting 98c when idle on the desktop but not under a 100% all core load.

it would take you over a year running Prime95 24/7 to hit 10K hours.
My board has a VRM temp but I thought the VR VCC reading off the CPU [#0]: Intel Core i9-9900K Enhanced was the important one to watch but now that you mention it the actual voltage regulator is on the MB PCB surround the socket not in the CPU so I guess that's good. BUT now I'm terrified that my CPU is reporting ANY temp that high running on stock where the hell is that reading coming from my chip is under a waterblock? The core readings are all pretty cool, that VR VCC reading is the highest one in the whole sensor panel! Am I freeking out for nothing? I'll post a screenshot here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.7GHz_All_Auto_Secure_P95_20Plus_Minutes.png
Views:	11
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	318476  

Core i9-9900k 4.8GHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | 8x4 Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz 16, 18, 18, 36 | GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WaterForce WB | Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus 2TB | EVGA Supernova 1000p2 | Heatkiller IV Basic | Custom loop | Swiftech MCP655 | Alphacool Rads
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
how about u put mono block on that thing and not worry about vrm temps at all anymore? i guess money wont be an issue, and you can sell ur cpu block as well.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 479 (Unique: 325)
@memery.uag :

The HWINFO developer has a thread here on overclock.net. Maybe ask there and see what he says.

I'm wondering if those 90°C are a wrong reading somehow. I'm guessing your actual VRM temperatures are more around the 70°C or the 75°C that are reported in the section with the board's main sensor chip or in that first VR section on the right of your screenshot.

The thread I mean is here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-b...64-thread.html
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
If the fan is blowing across the shield, get rid of the blasted shield so the air can reach the VRM. If you want a shield and are pretty handy, then make one that the fan blows under to help cool that VRM. Seriously though, pull that junk shield or tweak it so the air flow goes where it should

One Drive to Rule them All
In the Darkness, One Drive to Bind them All
One Drive to Fail and Loose them All
Hydra
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryze 5 1600
Motherboard
AsRock B450M Pro
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060
RAM
Team Elite
Hard Drive
Crucial Sata M2
Hard Drive
Team Group
Hard Drive
Team Group
Power Supply
EVGA B3
Operating System
Win7-64 Ultimate
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 PM
OG AMD

Rep: 591 (Unique: 462)
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulpatch View Post
Ahhhhh, appreciate that. That was the only thing I could think as well. That you help somebody or offer information and you get one from an admin or something. Like I ask questions, you give me an answer that solves the problem and I tell the admin what a great help you were. But that makes sense, much easier leaving it up to each other. LOL guess I won't be getting to post the WTB then. No biggie, had some other stuff to order and remembered to add the connectors/pins to it. Last time I forgot and like I said, really didn't want to pay the $6 shipping for $1 worth of parts. Unfortunately where we moved to I don't have an electronics store to pickup things locally. Used to have an amazing one near Detroit that I shopped at for almost 20 years. Anything you could imagine and a few things you'd never think of, this guy had it. We live in Al now and it's hard finding the simplest of things locally. So the internet has been the greatest source of parts.

Anyway, appreciate the help from everybody. Ultimately was just looking for a simple fix, so at least it was figured out. I'll try a few things once the new fans come in and maybe use some acrylic sheet to create some air channels. But need to get a couple other projects done first. Going to post pics in the liquid cool section once they are completed.

No one uses those small fans in such anymore, have not used any to give you a solid rec. except noctua always makes solid products.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in