Advice needed on cooling setup - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Advice needed on cooling setup

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Notbn View Post
If your looking for the best single tower air cooler, the noctua nh-u12a is pretty good. 7 heat pipes in a single tower cools almost as well as a D-15.
thermalright LGMRT and TS140P disagree with you.

Last edited by Shenhua; 01-13-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AliveNoMore View Post
I am most likely not going to run the fans at 100%. That said, is it really certain that a fan moves more air at maximum, will also move more air when its RPM is reduced. Unless I'm mistaken, that is kind of the case with the Noctua NF-A12, i.e. at 100% they are not the best, but their efficiency is very high when not at maximum.

Let me be clear that I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to get a better understanding.
It's the other way around. That's why i was suggesting the sw3. At 2k RPM they're very much better than any other fan. At 600-800 (the RPM mark you should aim for, the difference should not be noticeable)
I didnt check the price on the links you posted tho....

I never said I was looking for the best single tower air cooler. I'm aware that it is a fantastic cooler, and while I am prepared to not buy cheap components, I also do not intend to spend that much money (that thing is freaking expensive) on a cooler that is an overkill for the CPU I'm planning to buy.
Check for the aro m14 on other sites. It will give you similar performance to nh d15.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
I got the Noctua NH-D15 and I have it in an open air bench half a meter next to me on the desk and at idle you hear nothing with both fans spinning via PWN Bios control. On load, you will hear the card never mind any good fans.

I remember turning on the computer for the first time and thinking the fans were broken since I could not hear anything and I had to inspect them visually to make sure. What I do hear is my reference 5700XT's low fan hum on idle right now (it's very faint). The fans on the Noctua and the fan on the PSU are silent. The Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM are as silent running as the Noctuas on idle and I can't tell how loud they get on load since all I hear is the card. I guess with the latest Bios, even the fan on the chipset does not spin. I've only seen it spin on boot. Does not even spin while gaming.

There is no reason to over think it. Any of the recommended fans will serve you well and you won't hear them on idle and even on load since other things will be more audible over and above these fans in the case.
You can't make comparisons on "idle" and "load" speeds..... And good fans with smart configuration, in a bedroom at night, do make a difference. A very noticeable one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Here is a tall order: is there a reliable online shop in Europe that sells Thermalright products, and ships internationally?

For the record, I'm aware Thermalright has solid products. I've been using their True Spirit 120 for seven years now, albeit with a swapped fan in the last couple or so.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:31 AM
A guy

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
thermalright LGMRT and TS140P disagree with you.

You aren't wrong, but the u12a is a 120mm cooler and performs within a few degrees.

This is only one source, but here's the u12a performing better than AIOs on LGA1151 sockets and most AIOs on AM4. Performance is less good on LGA2066 but that's probably due to the smaller cold plate on the u12a.

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/co...u12a-review/2/

My Rig
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard
Asrock X570 Taichi
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo NVME 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM750
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1674 (Unique: 931)
Here is a tall order: is there a reliable online shop in Europe that sells Thermalright products, and ships internationally?

For the record, I'm aware Thermalright has solid products. I've been using their True Spirit 120 for seven years now, albeit with a swapped fan in the last couple or so.
Alternate has websites in many EU countries. I think all orders are shipped from Germany

ALTERNATE-Webshops are available in: alternate.be alternate.at alternate.de alternate.dk alternate.nl
alternate.es alternate.pl alternate.fr alternate.it alternate.ch alternate.lu
Hope that helps.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Notbn View Post
You aren't wrong, but the u12a is a 120mm cooler and performs within a few degrees.

This is only one source, but here's the u12a performing better than AIOs on LGA1151 sockets and most AIOs on AM4. Performance is less good on LGA2066 but that's probably due to the smaller cold plate on the u12a.

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/co...u12a-review/2/
I agree NH-U12A is a very good little cooler (I think NF-A12x25 fan is key), but it's not quite as good as many bigger coolers.

I think our link site test procedure is seriously flawwed because their delta temps are using "ambient temperature at the time of testing." That is most likely air temp in room, not entering cooler.

I don't consider any source that does not monitor and record air temp into cooler at same time CPU temp is recorded. Air temp into cooler / radiator is not the same as elsewhere in room and/or at different times
.. and changes with load and case fan speed.
.. air temp into air coolers effects CPU temp at full load at almost exactly a 1:1 ratio, so if air is 2c warmer so is CPU.
.. radiators not as close to 1:1
.. meaning delta results using air temp from anywhere else at any other time can eaily be off by 2c either way, espcially with air cooling.
.. that means actual CPU delta temps can easily be several degrees more or less than if using air temp into cooler.

.. even under best of conditions CPU delta temps vary a couple of degrees.

ciarlatano, others and I have verfied this in our own testing when using air temp into cooler vs room temp.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 01-14-2020 at 07:57 AM.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Well, so far I'm leaning towards a 2x140 setup for intake, and more specifically the NF-A14. eLoops are only available as 120mm, and the Silent Wings 3 are ~25% more expensive than the NF-A14.
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 AM
A guy

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
I agree NH-U12A is a very good little cooler (I think NF-A12x25 fan is key), but it's not quite as good as many bigger coolers.

I think our link site test procedure is seriously flawwed because their delta temps are using "ambient temperature at the time of testing." That is most likely air temp in room, not entering cooler.

I don't consider any source that does not monitor and record air temp into cooler at same time CPU temp is recorded. Air temp into cooler / radiator is not the same as elsewhere in room and/or at different times
.. and changes with load and case fan speed.
.. air temp into air coolers effects CPU temp at full load at almost exactly a 1:1 ratio, so if air is 2c warmer so is CPU.
.. radiators not as close to 1:1
.. meaning delta results using air temp from anywhere else at any other time can eaily be off by 2c either way, espcially with air cooling.
.. that means actual CPU delta temps can easily be several degrees more or less than if using air temp into cooler.

.. even under best of conditions CPU delta temps vary a couple of degrees.

ciarlatano, others and I have verfied this in our own testing when using air temp into cooler vs room temp.

Re-reading the article I do agree with your points. It's undeniable that the u12a is very good for its size.

As for air temperature into the cooler, in an open air test bench, can't you assume ambient temp in the room is roughly the same as air temp into the cooler? Assuming the room is ventilated?

I understand variations of 1-2deg can change CPU temps by that margin, but this seems to mostly be inconsequential error when looking at the scope of CPU cooler tests.

Not to mention, once you put a cooler in a case everything changes. I bet even two identical systems will perform differently solely based on tolerance stackups.

My Rig
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard
Asrock X570 Taichi
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo NVME 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM750
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Well, so far I'm leaning towards a 2x140 setup for intake, and more specifically the NF-A14. eLoops are only available as 120mm, and the Silent Wings 3 are ~25% more expensive than the NF-A14.
Many of us like PH-F140MP fans. Their specs are kinda deceptive in that they are lower than many others at full speed, but in the 700-1400rpm range they are better.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in