Simple SATA/PWM question - everybody is telling me something different, what is correct?! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Simple SATA/PWM question - everybody is telling me something different, what is correct?!

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Emiliano85

Rep: 0
Simple SATA/PWM question - everybody is telling me something different, what is correct?!

Hi guys.

I'm new to building, and am just about to finish up my first rig. I'm using the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, with the Ryzen 3950x.

My board has 9 headers meant for AIO/waterpump/fans in total - 5 of these are dedicated for fans: CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3 and finally H_AMP. All are 1amp, minus the H_AMP which is 3amp.

I plan to use CHA_FAN3 with a SATA powered three-way 4-pin (both motherboard and fans end of cable) PWM splitter (not to be confused with a controller just to clarify my question), connecting 3 Noctua 0.15amp fans to it.

And yes i know individual fan control off one single header will not be possible, and that i have to be carefull not to overload one single header with too many fans (which is not the case here anyway = 0.45amp of fans into 1amp header).

So to my question, which nobody seems to be able to give me a straigh forward answer to is:

When SATA power is at play (specifically in a splitter - we are NOT TALKING about controllers) is it then overriding PWM control in every usecase?

Simple as that. One person tells me yes, SATA will always run fans at full speed, regardless of having a 4-pin connection between mobo. and fans in the same loop - while others tell me it's perfectly working - what else would the 4-pin cable going into the mobo. in that splitter be for?

So which one is it? There are so many much more complicated things out there in regards of building and hardware, you can quickly learn by Googling/asking people questions, but this one above, seems to be some kind of Bermuda Triangle when one try to get more knowledge.....

Last edited by Emil Debski; 01-17-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by Emil Debski View Post
Hi guys.

I'm new to building, and am just about to finish up my first rig. I'm using the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, with the Ryzen 3950x.

My board has 9 headers meant for AIO/waterpump/fans in total - 5 of these are dedicated for fans: CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3 and finally H_AMP. All are 1amp, minus the H_AMP which is 3amp.

I plan to use CHA_FAN3 with a SATA powered three-way 4-pin (both motherboard and fans end of cable) PWM splitter (not to be confused with a controller just to clarify my question), connecting 3 Noctua 0.15amp fans to it.

And yes i know individual fan control off one single header will not be possible, and that i have to be carefull not to overload one single header with too many fans (which is not the case here anyway = 0.45amp of fans into 1amp header).

So to my question, which nobody seems to be able to give me a straigh forward answer to is:

When SATA power is at play (specifically in a splitter - we are NOT TALKING about controllers) is it then overriding PWM control in every usecase?

Simple as that. One person tells me yes, SATA will always run fans at full speed, regardless of having a 4-pin connection between mobo. and fans in the same loop - while others tell me it's perfectly working - what else would the 4-pin cable going into the mobo. in that splitter be for?

So which one is it? There are so many much more complicated things out there in regards of building and hardware, you can quickly learn by Googling/asking people questions, but this one above, seems to be some kind of Bermuda Triangle when one try to get more knowledge.....

If your plugging fans into the MB why would you need SATA power too?

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
GPU
MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Thermaltake Commander F6 Fan Controller
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 31)
A SATA powered three-way 4-pin is just powering the fans via the SATA connector, it has no PWM control so yes your fans will run full speed or not at all.

What you need is something like this https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-s...n-pwm-extended or something like this https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3830

Where the fans will be powered by the SATA or Molex and still has a PWM cable you can connect to the MB header. This will allow you to connect as many fans as the power connector can handle. If it's SATA then you can control up to 4.5 Amps or 54 Watts.

You won't overload your MB since it's not powering anything, it's only receiving the PWM signal

Show us the cable you want and we'll tell you what it will do

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
Quote: Originally Posted by Emil Debski View Post

Simple answer - if you are using a SATA powered PWM splitter (not a simple y-connector), it is exactly as the desciption makes it sound. The fans will be powered by the SATA input, and controlled by the MB PWM. If you look at the splitter, it will have only two wires on the 4-pin header that connects to the MB, one is for the PWM control signal, the other is to read the speed of the fans. There will also be two wires going to the SATA connector, and these are for power. Those four wires are the same four that are on a 4-pin PWM fan, but in this case you are connecting the two used for speed control to the MB, and the two used for power to the SATA connector.

In your case using a PWM splitter as you stated, the fans will be entirely speed controlled by the MB's PWM signal, but will not draw power from the MB.

If you are using a Y-connector, and not a PWM splitter, the fans will all run at full speed.

So......which are you using?

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Last edited by ciarlatano; 01-17-2020 at 09:40 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Yup, or something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-P.../dp/B00IF6R4C8 or this https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-T...dp/B07N3HP8S5/

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
As already answered.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in