3950x + Noctua 15 + Fraktal R6 (no OC). How do I set up the case fans? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

3950x + Noctua 15 + Fraktal R6 (no OC). How do I set up the case fans?

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
3950x + Noctua 15 + Fraktal R6 (no OC). How do I set up the case fans?

I want a new computer and I like this setup. I like the dampening features of R6 because I hate noise, I got the R4 and its really silent.

However, with the 3950x I was consdering if it's worth it that I replace the stock fans. If so, which fans should I buy, and how do I place them?

Also should I use 2 fans at the front of 140mm, or 3 of 120mm? I was told with 3 its better airflow.

I will not do any OC. I will be making music, editing video and gaming. I dont consider Aira64 and Prime95 as realistic real life use cases so I dont consider the high temps achieved by those benchmarks as a problem in terms of not having AIO with the 3950x so I went the Noctua 15 route. I just want to improve the case airflow because I was told the Define R6 is a solid case but the stock fans are rather crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:08 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1324 (Unique: 703)
tooling on the R6 is the same as the S2, no? if so you can run 3 140mm even though the spec page says 2.

you don't need an AIO even if you were OCing, the temp differences on a D15 and a 280/360 AIO aren't that significant anyway.

fans on the bottom are useless, don't bother with those. 2-3 front and one rear is enough, maybe add a second rear exhaust in the top back but you don't need to.

if you want cheap, buy Arctic P14s (they come in a 5 back for $25) and fill 3 in the front as intake and two in the back as exhaust and job done. Set them all on the fan controller and set a curve that sounds nice and call it a day.

the Phanteks MP/XP are worth a look too, they fairly often go on sale for ~$10 and they're a steal at that price. Just avoid the SP, they're not PWM.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (Blues)
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S (Browns)
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
tooling on the R6 is the same as the S2, no? if so you can run 3 140mm even though the spec page says 2.

you don't need an AIO even if you were OCing, the temp differences on a D15 and a 280/360 AIO aren't that significant anyway.

fans on the bottom are useless, don't bother with those. 2-3 front and one rear is enough, maybe add a second rear exhaust in the top back but you don't need to.

if you want cheap, buy Arctic P14s (they come in a 5 back for $25) and fill 3 in the front as intake and two in the back as exhaust and job done. Set them all on the fan controller and set a curve that sounds nice and call it a day.

the Phanteks MP/XP are worth a look too, they fairly often go on sale for ~$10 and they're a steal at that price. Just avoid the SP, they're not PWM.

Do you mean the front? on the pic you can see you can run x3 120mm but only x2 140mm.. im not sure x3 140mm would fit by looking at the pics

maybe there is a way to sacrifice the 5.25 bay but I would like to have a blueray reader there, sometimes it can be handy to be able to read cds.

Would x3 120mm make a difference from x3 140mm ?

Any other alternatives u wanna mention? I dont mind spending money on this, I gotta keep the 3950x cold even if im not doing OC, just for sanity. My current build is an old ass 12 year old quadcore, i plan to extend this cpu for a good 10 years again, so with decent cooling and no OC I hope I can do it.

Last edited by WMOman; 02-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 11:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by WMOman View Post

I will not do any OC. I will be making music, editing video and gaming. I dont consider Aira64 and Prime95 as realistic real life use cases so I dont consider the high temps achieved by those benchmarks as a problem in terms of not having AIO with the 3950x so I went the Noctua 15 route. I just want to improve the case airflow because I was told the Define R6 is a solid case but the stock fans are rather crap.
better the cooling the slower the fans you can run. Nothing to do with OCing. I don't run PBO with my 3900x and its water cooled.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I want a new computer and I like this setup. I like the dampening features of R6 because I hate noise, I got the R4 and its really silent.

However, with the 3950x I was consdering if it's worth it that I replace the stock fans. If so, which fans should I buy, and how do I place them?

Also should I use 2 fans at the front of 140mm, or 3 of 120mm? I was told with 3 its better airflow.

Go for phanteks enthoo pro M if you want 5.25 bay.
If you want silence, you want a case that impedes airflow as little as possible, the minimum number of fans and speed to get good airflow and manually tune their rpm curves.
Also, choose a GPU model with a good radiator.
In the case of a ryzen you want to manually tune the frecuency and voltage, and/or tune up the RPM on the cooler fans, one, because of its boost, and 2 because of its thermal density. You don't want the cooler ramp up and down everytime you load a website.

For example, something like this:
Phanteks enthoo pro M
3x120mm sw3 mounted on the front and the case fan mounted in the rear
And then treat the front fans as a group and use same speed on all of them, and the rear fan make it ramp up a bit later.

For example 0-35°C 400 RPM on all fans and cooler, 55°C 700rpm for front fans and cooler, 65°C 1000rpm front fans and cooler, 700rpm rear. Next point should be set up considering your preference and tolerances.

That should keep your PC almost dead at low loads, and very manageable under heavy loads.

For even better results, you can still add another level of configuration/difficulty. Manually tune up the CPU, and after you find the point where "it hits the wall", drop 150mhz, and as much voltage as you can, then set up the fans accordingly. You should be able to drop a ton of voltage, and thus temps/noise. GPU can be modded with case fans attached with zipties like in the picture, and the improvement in noise is awesome.

Last edited by Shenhua; 02-11-2020 at 02:20 AM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1682 (Unique: 933)

Below link is to a basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html
What model fans do you plan to use in this case?

Basically, remove all PCie back slot covers (even vented ones block 50-60% of airflow) to increase rear vent area around GPU, remove HDD cages so they don't block front intake airflow, add 2x good pressure rated 140mm front intakes and maybe a bottom intake if needed. Block any opening in fan mounting panel not covered by intake fans because we don't want the air the fans are pushing into case to leak back in front of them. Do not use the top vents, especially the front 2/3rds!! Using them as exhaust draws cool front intake air up and out of case before it reaches CPU and is replaced by heated air from GPU!! As intake they disrupt front to back airflow mixing heated GPU exhaust with cool intake air. I rarely (almost never) use exhaust fans because using them is like using push/pull on radiator or cooler .. maybe a few degrees cooler at full speed, but at same noise level just intakes cool the same. How many intake fans / how much intake airflow is needed depends on how many and how much air your CPU and GPU coolers use.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 02-11-2020 at 08:22 AM.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Below link is to a basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html
What model fans do you plan to use in this case?

Basically, remove all PCie back slot covers (even vented ones block 50-60% of airflow) to increase rear vent area around GPU, remove HDD cages so they don't block front intake airflow, add 2x good pressure rated 140mm front intakes and maybe a bottom intake if needed. Block any opening in fan mounting panel not covered by intake fans because we don't want the air the fans are pushing into case to leak back in front of them. Do not use the top vents, especially the front 2/3rds!! Using them as exhaust draws cool front intake air up and out of case before it reaches CPU and is replaced by heated air from GPU!! As intake they disrupt front to back airflow mixing heated GPU exhaust with cool intake air. I rarely (almost never) use exhaust fans because using them is like using push/pull on radiator or cooler .. maybe a few degrees cooler at full speed, but at same noise level just intakes cool the same. How many intake fans / how much intake airflow is needed depends on how many and how much air your CPU and GPU coolers use.
I don't which fans to buy, that is what im asking. Could you give me links of fans to buy for the R6?

Something like this:

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification x3 at the front
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification at the back
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification x2 bottom to push fresh air into the GPU and HDD's??

See here better:

How do you rate this?

Lets also compare the default fans of R6 which if my research is correct then they are the Dynamic X2 GP 14. Specs from their site:

Now the noctuas:

Noctua lists their airflow in m3/h... lets make conversions:

A14:

Airflow
140,2 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.
115,5 m³/h

in CFM:

82,51 CFM
67,98 CFM with L.N.A (whatever this is)

S12A:

Airflow
107,5 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.
83,2 m³/h

in CFM:

63,27 CFM
48,96 CFM

The fraktal one is 68 CFM.... so I don't see how those would push more air than the default ones. Doing the numbers comparing the Noctua ones with the fraktal one seems dissapointing..??? unless im missing something it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Artic p14 one was recommended here too:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-Va.../dp/B07HCKWF2X

They say 72.8 CFM.. from 68 isn't that much?

This Phantek one:

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140XP.html

Max Airflow

40.9 - 85.19 CFM

The 120 version:

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120XP.html

Max Airflow

23.0-61.6 CFM

So im confused. 68 CFM default ones is better than all noctuas? and I dont see big difference in other ones. The Max Airflor in 140 Pantek is 85 CFM, so I see bigger difference from Fraktal, but the 120 ones are less CFM... but I assume since I would put 3 at the front, the sum is better airflow? Then we have the L.N.A thing on the Noctuas which I dont know what that is. Maybe im missing something.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
and add up the cost of those fans and compare them to the arctic P12/P14
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1682 (Unique: 933)
I don't which fans to buy, that is what im asking. Could you give me links of fans to buy for the R6?

Something like this:

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification x3 at the front
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification at the back
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf.../specification x2 bottom to push fresh air into the GPU and HDD's??

See here better:

How do you rate this?

Lets also compare the default fans of R6 which if my research is correct then they are the Dynamic X2 GP 14. Specs from their site:

Now the noctuas:

Noctua lists their airflow in m3/h... lets make conversions:

A14:

Airflow
140,2 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.
115,5 m³/h

in CFM:

82,51 CFM
67,98 CFM with L.N.A (whatever this is)

S12A:

Airflow
107,5 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A.
83,2 m³/h

in CFM:

63,27 CFM
48,96 CFM

The fraktal one is 68 CFM.... so I don't see how those would push more air than the default ones. Doing the numbers comparing the Noctua ones with the fraktal one seems dissapointing..??? unless im missing something it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Artic p14 one was recommended here too:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-Va.../dp/B07HCKWF2X

They say 72.8 CFM.. from 68 isn't that much?

This Phantek one:

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140XP.html

Max Airflow

40.9 - 85.19 CFM

The 120 version:

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120XP.html

Max Airflow

23.0-61.6 CFM

So im confused. 68 CFM default ones is better than all noctuas? and I dont see big difference in other ones. The Max Airflor in 140 Pantek is 85 CFM, so I see bigger difference from Fraktal, but the 120 ones are less CFM... but I assume since I would put 3 at the front, the sum is better airflow? Then we have the L.N.A thing on the Noctuas which I dont know what that is. Maybe im missing something.
First thing, take anything Poah's posts with lots of salt. Some times his posts are helpful but often they are not.

Second, we don't need you to post the spec of fans you are considering. Some of us know how the fans actually work not based on specs but based on actual use and comparisons with other top tier fans.

As for what fans to get depends on what is available to you and their prices. Can you post some links to online sites you can buy from? That way we can compare prices of serveral know good fans and suggest a couple that are the most cost effective.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 02-11-2020 at 03:59 PM.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
First thing, take anything Poah's posts with lots of salt. Some times his posts are helpful but often they are not.

Second, we don't need you to post the spec of fans you are considering. Some of us know how the fans actually work not based on specs but based on actual use and comparisons with other top tier fans.

As for what fans to get depends on what is available to you and their prices. Can you post some links to online sites you can buy from? That way we can compare prices of serveral know good fans and suggest a couple that are the most cost effective.
On this shop for instance:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/ventil...suplementarios

Honestly I dont care about the money, I want the best stuff, I only update once every 10 years anyway. However looking at the specs I don't see huge differences in airflow compared to default R6 fans so im confused.

Tags
3950x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in