Corsair H60 install - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Corsair H60 install

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by MythTFLfan29 View Post
Temps can get higher on them than they used to under older sockets but performance has also increased greatly too. My 2700 with the stock cooler would sometimes hit 40C and the fan would ramp up a bit, and I didn't care for the noise it made so I too went about a different cooler for quieter/cooler performance. I just saw the 2 piece design (my older H60 still had the single piece one) and that does look like a pain. Do the points on each of the 2 clips groove in under the CPU cooler top plate/pump area to at least keep it mounted down while you wiggle the little square clips under the black motherboard standoff brackets? I'd hope Corsair designed it well enough to hold it down but maybe not with what you're saying....

Edit: Meant 40C under basically idle settings, not load just for clarification

OK just watched a video here
. He seems to get the 2 pieces slid into the pump in what looks like slotted cutouts to hold them in place and then attaches the little -[] piece into the bottom of the screw and hooks it over the corner of the black motherboard standoff/brackets. Then tigtens them afterwards. The screw should only be tightening that funny little piece that looks like a box with a gear shift out of it lol and not actually going into any screw holes.
Pic of it here https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...t/p/CW-8960011
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks man. I really appreciate you helping me out. I saw that video, I'll look at it again. What doesnt gel is the screws. I put 2 of them on top of the hook type piece. Problem is there is only two left to tighten the amd backplate on bottom of board. I'm not missing any pieces. I'm looking at all sorts of pictures. It just doesnt add up to me. Sometimes you need to visualize. I have a shortcoming in that area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I watched that video a few times. What he doesnt show is what holds the pump from sliding back and forth on the processor. He has it basically in between the stock black clips, or whatever AMD calls them. So those don't have to come off. But if those don't come off, you have to use the AMD backplate. Remember, the plate that comes with the pump is removed to put the plate where those 2 hooks go. Ive tried multiple times to do it the way the video and instructions say. But everytime I attempt to keep the pump from moving, it keeps sliding. I'm sure I am missing something so simple. It's probably right in front of me. I am not at my computer right now. I ran out of thermal compound. I will get it and try again tomorrow.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 31)
No problem man, I think I get what you're saying. The stock backplate (kind of a murky unpolished clear look right?) that sits behind the motherboard should have 4 screws going into it. 2 from the top back clip and 2 from the bottom back clip. Those 2 black back clips have to stay on to mount the cooler to them. There shouldn't be any screws that go into them from the pump mounting plate. The 2 mounting screws (1 each for for the two separate slide in pieces that slide into the pump block) that hold the pump cooler in place should have one of those little square clips with the handle inserted into each one so it kind of hangs from them. It's hard to freeze frame it but between 8:53 and 9:00 in the video you can kind of see the screws dangling off each of the two clips. Those little square clips should "clip" over the middle of the backplate brackets (freeze a 8:31 of the video and you can see the tab sticking out in the middle of the two screws) maybe try clipping the top square piece over the top middle black tab and then clip the bottom tab over the bottom middle tab and then as long as you can kind of hold the pump cooler in place, steadily tighten the 2 screws down each little by little and it should snug up holding the pump in place. I would think with no side brackets attached it might wiggle ever so slightly but it should snug up at some point and hold pretty tight. If you're already doing all this and it's still not working then disregard lol. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page as far as parts/pieces and what's being said while having that video as sort of a baseline.

Last edited by MythTFLfan29; 02-13-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No problem man, I think I get what you're saying. The stock backplate (kind of a murky unpolished clear look right?) that sits behind the motherboard should have 4 screws going into it. 2 from the top back clip and 2 from the bottom back clip. Those 2 black back clips have to stay on to mount the cooler to them. There shouldn't be any screws that go into them from the pump mounting plate. The 2 mounting screws (1 each for for the two separate slide in pieces that slide into the pump block) that hold the pump cooler in place should have one of those little square clips with the handle inserted into each one so it kind of hangs from them. It's hard to freeze frame it but between 8:53 and 9:00 in the video you can kind of see the screws dangling off each of the two clips. Those little square clips should "clip" over the middle of the backplate brackets (freeze a 8:31 of the video and you can see the tab sticking out in the middle of the two screws) maybe try clipping the top square piece over the top middle black tab and then clip the bottom tab over the bottom middle tab and then as long as you can kind of hold the pump cooler in place, steadily tighten the 2 screws down each little by little and it should snug up holding the pump in place. I would think with no side brackets attached it might wiggle ever so slightly but it should snug up at some point and hold pretty tight. If you're already doing all this and it's still not working then disregard lol. Just trying to make sure we're on the same page as far as parts/pieces and what's being said while having that video as sort of a baseline.
Finally got it working. Temps still aren't great, I get 70 at full load, that's probably because the thermal compound dried up a little from all the attempts. I think I'll leave it alone for now. I used the AMD backplate, left the black pieces where they were. Then mounted pump by hooking those 2 clips onto them. It's actually a fairly simple process. It's the final step that can be a pain in the butt. Getting those clips onto the bracket takes some fidgeting. Again, thanks for all your help. One final question. How long is the pump good for? Do you need to get a new one every couple of years?

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
Quote: Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post
Finally got it working. Temps still aren't great, I get 70 at full load, that's probably because the thermal compound dried up a little from all the attempts. I think I'll leave it alone for now. I used the AMD backplate, left the black pieces where they were. Then mounted pump by hooking those 2 clips onto them. It's actually a fairly simple process. It's the final step that can be a pain in the butt. Getting those clips onto the bracket takes some fidgeting. Again, thanks for all your help. One final question. How long is the pump good for? Do you need to get a new one every couple of years?
Your temps are typical of CLC. They cool no better if as good as a good air cooler that will last forever and almost always costs less too.

CLCs are the very lowest quality of water cooler made. Pumps last from a few minutes to several years.

I suggest you keep some sort of air cooler around so if pump does die you have something to put on, because when pump dies you have no cooling so cannot use computer until cooler is replaced.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

[QUOTE=doyll;28328800]
Your temps are typical of CLC. They cool no better if as good as a good air cooler that will last forever and almost always costs less too.

CLCs are the very lowest quality of water cooler made. Pumps last from a few minutes to several years.

I suggest you keep some sort of air cooler around so if pump does die you have something to put on, because when pump dies you have no cooling so cannot use computer until cooler is replaced.[/QUO

Other than the temps falling, how will I know the pump is dying.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
[quote=mooch49;28329062]
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I suggest you keep some sort of air cooler around so if pump does die you have something to put on, because when pump dies you have no cooling so cannot use computer until cooler is replaced.[/QUO

Other than the temps falling, how will I know the pump is dying.
You might hear a rattle, but really if temps are starting to go up for no apparent reason its probalby pump failure.

I don't use CLCs at all. All but one of my rigs are air cooled and that one is be quiet! Silent Loop 280 and I'm thinking of adding a second radiator .. just because I have it setting around. It's on an old i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz and runs very cool and quiet.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Glad you got it sorted out! As Doyll alluded to CLC's can fail at any time. I've heard of people have them die or possibly leak (which can obviously cause system damage but Corsair has usually taken care of the people that happens to from what I've seen/read) but I've had my H60 running since 2016 almost everyday (sometimes gone for vacation/work) for a few hours on an older Z77-3770K system and it's never given me any trouble so far and the noise isn't terrible to me. Most of Corsair's H-series have a 5 year warranty on them so I'd say if you use one for more than 5 years just consider the risks knowing if some coolant evaporates/leaks, it'll deteriorate performance and possibly leave you without a way to remedy things without out of pocket cost. Just my 2 cents, but either way glad you got it working for you.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Glad you got it sorted out! As Doyll alluded to CLC's can fail at any time. I've heard of people have them die or possibly leak (which can obviously cause system damage but Corsair has usually taken care of the people that happens to from what I've seen/read) but I've had my H60 running since 2016 almost everyday (sometimes gone for vacation/work) for a few hours on an older Z77-3770K system and it's never given me any trouble so far and the noise isn't terrible to me. Most of Corsair's H-series have a 5 year warranty on them so I'd say if you use one for more than 5 years just consider the risks knowing if some coolant evaporates/leaks, it'll deteriorate performance and possibly leave you without a way to remedy things without out of pocket cost. Just my 2 cents, but either way glad you got it working for you.

What temps should I be getting on an AMD Ryzen 3600 using the H60? I did a stress test on cpu-z. At highest usage, I'm getting between 68-71 degrees. Before with air cooler, I was getting mid 80's. So obviously it's doing its job. I am still not really satisfied. I am considering remounting and reapplying thermal compound. But I really don't because how much a pain it was putting on. I'm sure temps could be better, but what is typical for most users.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

I think those temps are probably within reason for the cooler if you're running it with standard motherboard OC settings (assuming you're just running the PBO auto overclock/voltage through the chip). If you don't think you had a good thermal paste application before you could clean it up really well with and try remounting it if you have enough thermal paste on hand as at least you now know what the mount should hold like. But I'm honestly not sure how much better it could get than those temps, maybe a few *C difference? I've never tested an H60 on AMD's newer chips just on my old 3770K which hits around 78-80* on a 4.4 oc (can't remember the voltage off hand) which isn't great but not terrible in my eyes either especially with it being 5 years old. YMMV but I'd say you're probably pretty close to normal performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in