New cooler recomm - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New cooler recomm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Baerny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Rep: 0
New cooler recomm

Looking for new cooler for am4, more powerfull one that thermalright macho 120 SBM. <-- currently using and i'll retire it to my second pc.

I've been considering Scythe fuma 2 and ninja 4. Which one would win if these two fought it out?
They are priced quite similarly considering ninja 4 needs additional purchase of 4eur am4 kit.
Thermalright frost spirit is also intersting at similar price but the availability still poor in EU.

Open to other recommendations too, but no taller than 161mm (pref. price under 60eur).
Baerny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Linux Gamer
 
Almost Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 919
Rep: 60 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baerny View Post
Looking for new cooler for am4, more powerfull one that thermalright macho 120 SBM. <-- currently using and i'll retire it to my second pc.

I've been considering Scythe fuma 2 and ninja 4. Which one would win if these two fought it out?
They are priced quite similarly considering ninja 4 needs additional purchase of 4eur am4 kit.
Thermalright frost spirit is also intersting at similar price but the availability still poor in EU.

Open to other recommendations too, but no taller than 161mm (pref. price under 60eur).
The top air coolers were mentioned in the previous thread you posted in, namely the D14/D15, Cryrig R1 Ultimate, Thermalright LGMRT, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Phanteks TC14PE, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power, Silver Arrow, Silver Arrow SB-E, Silver Arrow IB, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, DeepCool Assassin II and Assassin III, Scythe Fuma II.

As doyll stated there, the top air coolers perform similarly. So if you're on a budget, I'd get whichever is cheapest. If you're not on a budget, Noctua's D15 shines in it's simple mounting system, excellent quality and customer service.

FWIW I'm very happy with my Ninja 4. Performance is amazing and at $50 it was much less than the D15 (as a bonus, it's beautiful as well). The things I don't like: the mounting system is more difficult than it needs to be (which is compounded by poor instructions), and it doesn't support 140mm fans (I wound up tieing a 140mm to it with wire).

Ed Hume's review had it performing much better than a D15, esp. with low speed fans. His testing methodology seems impeccable (unlike most reviewers), but the chip he used has fairly low power consumption, so take from that what you will. FWIW the Ninja 4 keeps my (non-AVX capable) W3680 very cool at low fan speeds. Prime 95 testing at 4GHz 200w CPU power use (190w limit will TDP/power throttle), in a 26C room (it was July), peaked at ~65C, absolute max temp when gaming was a mere ~55C. My daily driver overclock of 3.9GHz at 150w CPU power use (140w limit will TDP/power throttle) peaked at ~60C Prime load during a ~30 hour test, 50C max during actual use. Fans (San Ace 140x38mm) were set at starting voltage and left there, likely 800-1000RPM (no tach wire). Hardly scientific, but maybe my results will be useful.

The Fuma seems to perform even better, the Fuma 2 better still. Yet, if I understand Ed Hume's review correctly, the Fuma's excellent performance is partly due to a more convex base, which can make an impression on the IHS over time. I'm assuming the Fuma 2 is highly convex as well. After which, if you mount a flat cooler, it will not perform as well due to poor contact. If you don't plan on ever using a different heatsink on your chip, it's a non issue, but something to consider.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 02-14-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: proof
Almost Heathen is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Baerny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Rep: 0
The original fuma has too poor availability to be considered. Rev.b may be found it's not as good as original.
Mainly looking at the fuma 2 of the fuma line, which seems to be good performer too. It's also smaller than the top dual towers which is a plus for me.
Ninja 4 looks good, not overly large and likely better performer than macho 120 sbm. It's using the older mounting system which may give it some performancer advantage, higher mounting force speculated.

I'm not on overly tight budjet but looking for more mid sized "bang for buck" thing here, not the top models.
I have two cases which can house ~ 161mm maybe 162mm tall coolers, so assasin 3, dark rock pro 4, PH-TC14PE, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, Silver Arrow SB-E, Silver Arrow IB, Cryrig R1 Ultimate are too risky in that regard.

Noctua D15s would fit & is around 78€. Fuma 2 58€. Ninja 4 with mounting kit 55€.
Preference would be to use something smaller than D15s, but it seems to be top performer at 160mm height along with grand macho RT. I actually bought the grand macho when it was cheap on amazon but returned it, it seemed to have some manucaturing defect. Atm it has higher price and poor availability in EU.
Baerny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:42 PM
Linux Gamer
 
Almost Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 919
Rep: 60 (Unique: 42)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baerny View Post
The original fuma has too poor availability to be considered. Rev.b may be found it's not as good as original.
Mainly looking at the fuma 2 of the fuma line, which seems to be good performer too. It's also smaller than the top dual towers which is a plus for me.
Ninja 4 looks good, not overly large and likely better performer than macho 120 sbm. It's using the older mounting system which may give it some performancer advantage, higher mounting force speculated.

I'm not on overly tight budjet but looking for more mid sized "bang for buck" thing here, not the top models.
I have two cases which can house ~ 161mm maybe 162mm tall coolers, so assasin 3, dark rock pro 4, PH-TC14PE, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, Silver Arrow SB-E, Silver Arrow IB, Cryrig R1 Ultimate are too risky in that regard.

Noctua D15s would fit & is around 78€. Fuma 2 58€. Ninja 4 with mounting kit 55€.
Preference would be to use something smaller than D15s, but it seems to be top performer at 160mm height along with grand macho RT. I actually bought the grand macho when it was cheap on amazon but returned it, it seemed to have some manucaturing defect. Atm it has higher price and poor availability in EU.
The D15s makes sense if you want to stretch the budget a bit, depends if the painless mounting system and support etc is worth it to you. Edit: I re-read your post, and I see the D15s is taller than you'd like. The Fuma 2 is an excellent heatsink and the mounting process looks a bit more simple than the Ninja 4. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything significantly better for the money.

55 total (with bracket) seems pricey for the Ninja 4. I mean it will perform well, but as much as I like my Ninja 4, the Fuma 2 looks like a better option. The mounting force is high indeed, but the Fuma 2 (and Fuma/rev B, all revisions really) more than make up for that with their dual tower design and convex base. Ninja 4 is significantly bigger as well, so that is a negative aspect when limited space is considered.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 02-14-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Almost Heathen is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
D-EJ915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 315
Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Fuma 2 is better than the Ninja 5 so I'd not bother with the Ninja 4 unless you want to get it for aesthetic reasons. I compared them both with AP15 running full speed. The ninja is also enormous and has bad ram/fan compatibility due to that.

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
D-EJ915 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:11 PM
Tetrapyloctomist
 
Aenra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,662
Rep: 44 (Unique: 27)
The real question is how much did you pay for whatever chassis you currently own; or put differently, how much are you willing to allow it to set you back for.

That 161 clearance.. why? And for a gain of what? One assumes said compromise for a reason.
Mentioning this because, just a personal opinion here, there's only so much point changing stuff you shouldn't have to change every odd build. I'd get a proper chassis (because if someone tells me 161 then i know they weren't really doing it right) and get me a D15s.
Fits the most motherboards (no first slot issues), can scale a lot with different fans if you ever wish it to, has lifetime bracket support, you'll never have to buy another cooler unless you want to and great (top actually if you don't mind some noise [TY-143 fans]) performance. You get it all and you get it permanently. For about, what? 15 bucks over your current budget? Again, this is for life; literally.

Is it worth losing all that, plus the cost of all your coolers combined over the years for the sake of that one chassis?
If yes, by all means continue; just worthy of consideration i think. Most folks don't start from the beginning i've come to find

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 02-14-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Aenra is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Baerny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
The real question is how much did you pay for whatever chassis you currently own; or put differently, how much are you willing to allow it to set you back for.

That 161 clearance.. why? And for a gain of what? One assumes said compromise for a reason.
Mentioning this because, just a personal opinion here, there's only so much point changing stuff you shouldn't have to change every odd build. I'd get a proper chassis (because if someone tells me 161 then i know they weren't really doing it right) and get me a D15s.
Fits the most motherboards (no first slot issues), can scale a lot with different fans if you ever wish it to, has lifetime bracket support, you'll never have to buy another cooler unless you want to and great (top actually if you don't mind some noise [TY-143 fans]) performance. You get it all and you get it permanently. For about, what? 15 bucks over your current budget? Again, this is for life; literally.

Is it worth losing all that, plus the cost of all your coolers combined over the years for the sake of that one chassis?
If yes, by all means continue; just worthy of consideration i think. Most folks don't start from the beginning i've come to find
Using silverstone ft05 and not planning to buy new case. Just cheched the specs and the limit is 162mm. I recalled it was either 161 or 162mm, said 161mm to be on the safe side.
D15s makes sense and it's 160mm, so it will fit.
It was 70eur plus shipping back then. 160mm cpu cooler limit is pretty common on bit smaller atx cases, so it makes sense in that regard. Preference is mid sized cases, which may have cooler size restrictions. For fuma 2 I would be supprised if they wouldn't offer am5 kit in future. Not sure they will for ninja 4, the fuma may be better buy.

D-EJ915 about the ninja 4 size.. it's not that enormous. 130x130x155mm plus fan. The ran clearance was something like 40mm if i remember right. Ram kit that using Crucial Ballistix fits there Ok. I was considering this cooler because it did so well in reviews. The reason may be that the earlier scythe mounting system has bit higher mounting force, which makes the original fuma and ninja 4 have good performance even compared to large dual towers like D15s.
Baerny is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 03:21 AM
Meep
 
Gilles3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,254
Rep: 316 (Unique: 227)
Quote: Originally Posted by Baerny View Post
Looking for new cooler for am4, more powerfull one that thermalright macho 120 SBM. <-- currently using and i'll retire it to my second pc.

I've been considering Scythe fuma 2 and ninja 4. Which one would win if these two fought it out?
They are priced quite similarly considering ninja 4 needs additional purchase of 4eur am4 kit.
Thermalright frost spirit is also intersting at similar price but the availability still poor in EU.

Open to other recommendations too, but no taller than 161mm (pref. price under 60eur).
The Thermalright ARO-M14 is only €45 and has an AM4 optimized mount, they do seem to be having a bit of a supply issue, but if you can find one in stock its great. (technically 162mm tall, so double check if your max height really is 161mm, usually there's some margin)
Gilles3000 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:27 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 26,077
Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
Phanteks PH-TC14PE is actually 160mm tall. The reason Phanteks specs say 171mm is because there is a tall thumbscrew on top of cooler base holding the crossbar onto it. Middle fan setting on top of that thumbscrew is 171mm tall. But thumbscrew serves no function except to keep crossbar in place while installing cooler. In fact the crossbar sets over a protrusion on base so stays in place with gravity just fine anyway. So just remove the thumbscrew and top of fan is 160mm, same as cooler (see attached drawing). PH-TC14PE is very good cooler, so if you can get one at reasonable price it would be a good choice .. assuming it will clear your RAM. It has 47mm from top of CPU to bottom of fins. This means RAM up to 52mm will fit under fins. They cost about 64 Euro.

Thermalright ARO-M14 (grey or orange top) is also good and a little lower priced. TRUE Spirit 140 Direct is good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PH-TC14PE meas.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	326812  


Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Baerny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 18
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
The Thermalright ARO-M14 is only €45 and has an AM4 optimized mount, they do seem to be having a bit of a supply issue, but if you can find one in stock its great. (technically 162mm tall, so double check if your max height really is 161mm, usually there's some margin)
That will fit in ft05 and @ that price it would be good. I don't know what happened but for while now Thermalright availability has been poor in eu area where I've looked at, buying finnish and sometimes german (amazon.de) shops.
Baerny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off