3900x / 3950x. Want to improve cooling. Help? - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

3900x / 3950x. Want to improve cooling. Help?

post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I use a D15S myself and it performs like a champ on my 3950X. I’m also using the industrial PPC fans on it, however they didn’t make a massive difference. It was more to have stronger fans in the case and the option to take them to 3K RPM if I wanted to. My CPU normally stays in the upper 60’s and lower 70’s when under a heavy load.

Quote: Originally Posted by GoldCartGamer View Post
Long time lurker, recently signed up on the site. I have spent A LOT of time reading through doyll's posts and threads among other places on the internet. Very insightful, but I still had some questions for my particular config / environment.

I currently have the following configuration: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/goldca...r/saved/HnsxGX with a soon to be 3950x that is staring at me as I type this, lol.

I did have to remove a panel to make room for the USB 3.0 cable on the mobo. I have attached a stock photo with a red circle around that panel.

I am looking at case fans and proper air flow on this case. I know the stock case fans are junk. Based on what I have read, it seems it is a good idea to remove the PCIe slots, no exhaust fan, and having 2 to 3 strong intake fans will be plenty.

I was thinking I would have 3 to 4 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans, but my research seems to show that is not necessarily the best route.

I have been down so many rabbit holes tonight on case fans I am a bit cross eyed. Budget and sound are not a concern. I am concerned about performance only. I started out looking at Noctua NF-A14 PWM then read about the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM. I believe the front of this case blocks part of the air flow of a 140mm fan as well.

I have been happy with my CPU cooler choice, but now worried I picked wrong based on threads on here.

I am just now getting to worry about temps because outside temps will soon go up in my area. It gets pretty hot and humid in my summers. We keep the thermostat set to 68F (20C) during the summer.

I hope I didn't miss anything to get this conversation started. I hope to learn more and perhaps provide a place for others to learn as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kainhander View Post
Here's my current setup, I've got a 3900X and a 2080 Super OC in a Fractal Design Define R6, and they provide enough heat similar to your setup.

I'm cooling with a Fractal Design Celsius 36, with 3 Noctua NF-A12x25 fans in a pull arrangement. I've got a NF-A14 on the back, but I've not tested if it helps or not. My CPU temps tops about 69C at full synthetic load, with about 33 dB noise. With the GPU going full bore too it'll top out at 35 dB.

I also used to have a Thermaltake Le Grande Macho RT (a favorite of @doyll ), which is comparable to the Noctua D-15S. It would run the same load at about the same temperatures / noise.
HOWEVER, if you go above ~150W on the CPU, the AIO will win, below that they're tied or air cooled is better/quieter. On my old 2700 I could get it to do thermal runaway at ~173W where it would just slowly get hotter, use more voltage to keep the clock speed up, get hotter, etc until thermal shutdown on the Le Grande Macho. On my AIO it would hold it to 67C.

I'd second Doyll's recommendation to get higher pressure front intake fans, the NF-A12x25's have been fabulous in this case and my old Meshify C. They push more air at a lower noise level than anything else. I'd also run some electrical tape up the 140mm rails to close those air gaps so you don't lose pressure out the front.

EDIT: Also if you're interested, I have a Le Grande Macho I could part with for a decent price...
Thermalright makes Le Grand Macho RT, not Thermalfake.
I dissagree. CLCs are not better than top tier air cooling on high wattage CPUs. I'm guessing your old system getting hotter and hotter was because airflow to cooler was getting warmer and warmer. If air into cooler get warmer so does CPU on an almost exactly 1:1 ratio.
Testing of best CLCs including Enermax Liqtech which a pump rated 450 L/h compared to most CLCs with pump rated 40-60 L/h on overclocked AMD 2990WX & 2950X didn't cool any better than Silver Arrow TR4 which cooled a little better than NH-U14S. To get better cooling requires very high cost custom H2O loop with very best H2O components.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

I still have heat issues on my 3950x and Scythe Mugen 5. I ended up lowering the stream settings further and it put it down to 70c range. It's getting warmer now, but I'm pretty sure it's not a airflow problem at this point.

I wish all cooler reviews tested high wattage. I just haven't had the time or money to try to change it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by ShogoXT View Post
I still have heat issues on my 3950x and Scythe Mugen 5. I ended up lowering the stream settings further and it put it down to 70c range. It's getting warmer now, but I'm pretty sure it's not a airflow problem at this point.

I wish all cooler reviews tested high wattage. I just haven't had the time or money to try to change it again.
What is temperature of air entering your Mugen 5? It your case airflow is not supplying cooler with air at or near room temp then your CPU temps will be higher. There is basically a 1:1 ratio of air temp into cooler to CPU temp. If air is 10c warmer than room instead of room temp then CPU will also be 10c hotter. Lower air temp into cooler to 2-3c above room temp and CPU will be 7-8c cooler as well. Link below to basic case airflow guide can be helpful if you follow it and find your case airflow is the problem:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...-fan-data.html

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

While waiting on my fans to arrive. I found this video. Have these results ever been discussed on here? Seems his favorite "all-arounder" is the P14, but Noctua seems consistently higher than the Dark Rock SW3 High Speed fans. Debating cancelling my order for Noctua fans now.

3950x, Gigabyte X570 Xtreme, Team Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB), MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.
Build list

Last edited by GoldCartGamer; 04-17-2020 at 11:05 AM.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldCartGamer View Post
While waiting on my fans to arrive. I found this video. Have these results ever been discussed on here? Seems his favorite "all-arounder" is the P14, but Noctua seems consistently higher than the Dark Rock SW3 High Speed fans. Debating cancelling my order for Noctua fans now.

Given the cost difference and tiny difference in performance I’m surprised you didn’t get the arctic fans to start with.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
Given the cost difference and tiny difference in performance I’m surprised you didn’t get the arctic fans to start with.

Due to prior research showing Noctua fans having better performance than the P14 fans. Price and looks are not factors for me when picking out PC parts.

3950x, Gigabyte X570 Xtreme, Team Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB), MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.
Build list
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Regarding exhaust fans, I've had plenty of builds without them, but unless noise is an issue, I generally have one or two, especially if I cannot mount as many intakes as I'd like...they still increase total airflow through a case, and help the intakes overcome filter resistance.

Most CLCs are garbage, but I use them where convenient. For example, I have a big pile of OEM Asetek Gen4 120mm CLCs (the OEM version of a Corsair H55, but with better fans) that cost me less than $25 each. I use them for test beds, SFFs, and video cards. When they crap out I throw them in a parts box and put a new one on. They'll cool even a high-end GPU better than any air cooler that costs less than $80 and are easier to get on and off a test bench than a large air cooler. I even have one tied to a K6-III+ with a piece of wire.

One issue with Noctua coolers on Zen2 parts is that Noctua deliberately mills their bases into a convex shape. This works fine on my Intel setups, but it means my Noctuas have poor contact with the CPU dies on my 3900X. Lapping my NH-U12A lowered peak core and package temps by 5-6C on my 3900X when at the same manual all core OC, and allowed another 50MHz with PBO.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Slight update. Got tired of waiting on my Be Quiet fans to arrive so ordered and installed P14 PWM fans along with my 3950x and the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360. So far, seems to be running well and GPU is happier with the new air flow.

Build list
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Did you improve your temps on the 3950x with the liquid freezer 360 vs the air cooler ? I have the Noctua C14s with a very low rmp fan struggling on the 3900x cant be bothered going back to watercooling just to get decent clocks on the cpu.

Tags
3900x , 3950x , Air Cooling , meshify s2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in