Printing a ring to close the gap between the fan blades and frame - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Printing a ring to close the gap between the fan blades and frame

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 14)
Printing a ring to close the gap between the fan blades and frame

Hi all,

I got new Case Sharkoon Pure Steel RGB and the included fans have ~2.5mm gap so the static pressure is poor.
I have decided to design a ring to attach on the fan to close the gap to improve the static pressure and I do see a great improvement- did any one else tried it too?
Ring OD:105.5mm
Ring ID:102.5
Fan frame ID is 106mm!.

link to 3d part:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4271830
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IsoView.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	337934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PrintHeadPlacment.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	337936  

Last edited by Hwgeek; 04-09-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1692 (Unique: 937)
Interesting idea. Often the reason there is as much impeller to shroud clearance is because impeller enlarges as rpm increase .. also get larger over time, especially if fans run at higher speeds.

Please let us know how they work out for you.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 458 (Unique: 389)
How did you measure the improvement? And did you also increase the noise? It's just that all these manufacturers can choose any "gap" size they please - I'm wondering why they've deliberately made them worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
i mean, can we see the improvement too?

as for why some manufacturers don't fine tune/ do something similar. you're applying logic where none exists. Just bottom lines, a e s t h e t i c, and deadlines.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I build a PC for Folding, GTX 1070 + Silverstone 1200W platinum with stupid fan curve that can make you go crazy.
Before the mod- the PSU fan would Kick in at 100% for ~30 sec every ~10 min and after the mod it maybe kick in for ~5 sec once in 1~2 hours, even adding 2nd GTX 1070 its not kicking in so hard any more.
Also they maybe leave such big gap sometimes for economy reasons (using same blade on other frames?).
it's low RPM fan also it has almost 1 mm gap after mod for long term expansion, I tried 102mm ID and it also fits.
Case has 4 fans at stock placement, 3 at bottom sucking air in thru dense dust filter and 1 at back to exhaust the hot air[positive pressure inside case].
Fan Spec's:
Fan Speed: 1200 rpm ± 10%
Bearing Type: Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Max. Airflow: 94.8 m³/h
Max. Air Pressure: 1.16 mm-H²0
Noise Level: 18.2 dBA
MTBF: Min. 50,000 Hours

Quote:
Noctua-News: What’s the point of using such a small tip clearance? Is it really worth the extra effort?
Lars Strömbäck (Noctua CTO): *laughs* Well, it has taken us more than one year just to sort out the manufacturing issues, so there were times when we were wondering if it’s actually worth the extra effort, but at Noctua, we always strive to push the boundaries and deliver the best solution that’s technically possible. We’re confident that our customers appreciate this and that’s what’s justifying the effort for us in the end. Technically speaking, the reason why you want to go for such a tight tip clearance is that when the fan operates against back pressure, such as on a heatsink or radiator, some air will flow back through the gap between the blades and the frame. The smaller the gap, the less of this type of leak flow you have, so narrowing down the gap helps a great deal in achieving superior performance on heatsinks and radiators.
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback

Look at the gap on Noctua:
Attached Images

Last edited by Hwgeek; 04-09-2020 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1692 (Unique: 937)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hwgeek View Post
I build a PC for Folding, GTX 1070 + Silverstone 1200W platinum with stupid fan curve that can make you go crazy.
Before the mod- the PSU fan would Kick in at 100% for ~30 sec every ~10 min and after the mod it maybe kick in for ~5 sec once in 1~2 hours, even adding 2nd GTX 1070 its not kicking in so hard any more.
Also they maybe leave such big gap sometimes for economy reasons (using same blade on other frames?).
it's low RPM fan also it has almost 1 mm gap after mod for long term expansion, I tried 102mm ID and it also fits.
Case has 4 fans at stock placement, 3 at bottom sucking air in thru dense dust filter and 1 at back to exhaust the hot air[positive pressure inside case].
Fan Spec's:
Fan Speed: 1200 rpm ± 10%
Bearing Type: Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Max. Airflow: 94.8 m³/h
Max. Air Pressure: 1.16 mm-H²0
Noise Level: 18.2 dBA
MTBF: Min. 50,000 Hours

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback

Look at the gap on Noctua:
You are comparing apple to oranges mate. NF-A12x25 impeller was years in development because of impeller expansion as speeds increase .. so much so the impeller is made of a special material to help control expansion.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
I understand your logic.

It's just that... you're comparing a fan designed to light up, and a fan designed to cool. of course the one designed to light up isn't going to be as good.

it is however quite nice that you found an inexpensive way to hone the performance. They either never even thought about it, OR the QC is so bad, that it needs that much room due to variance

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
You are comparing apple to oranges mate. NF-A12x25 impeller was years in development because of impeller expansion as speeds increase .. so much so the impeller is made of a special material to help control expansion.
and this is why you don't paint your noctua fans.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was never comparing those cheap bling bling RGB fans to this noctua fan :-), I just brought the explanation why it's expensive and how it's improves the fan.
it's just easy/cheap way[for 3d printer owners] to improve those cheap stock fans and I thought I should share.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 03:20 PM
dontworkSundysormedaysoff

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Whether you can scientifically prove the benefit or not its still pretty cool that we can spend hours designing (I'm still learning) bits and pieces to modify existing or build stuff from scratch in our own home, cool!
Some people don't know how to do encouragement...lol

AIRBOURNE
(10 items)
buellersbox
(17 items)
CPU
i7 7700k
Motherboard
asus maximus viii hero
GPU
msi 1080ti gaming x
RAM
corsair 3200mhz
Hard Drive
samsung 950 nvme
Power Supply
corair rm850x
Cooling
cryorig r1 universal
Case
TT modified
Operating System
win10
Monitor
acer predator x34
CPU
i7 6700k
Motherboard
Asus maximus VIII Hero
GPU
Msi gtx 980ti
RAM
Corsair
Hard Drive
samsung 950 pro m.2
Hard Drive
samsung ssd
Hard Drive
2tb spinner
Optical Drive
blu-ray rw
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
custom EKWB
Case
Phanteks
Operating System
windoze 10
Monitor
Acer X34 gsync
Keyboard
Logi Orion G910
Mouse
Logi G502
Mouse
Logi 440
Audio
Kingston Hyperx cloud II + Edifier R1280T
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I can build a test platform using jewelry scale to measure the static pressure delta, maybe later for fan :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in