i7 5820k on a Noctua NH-D15 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

i7 5820k on a Noctua NH-D15

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Madonion.com

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
The harder the test is to pass, the better it is as a stress test.

I usually start with LINPACK to get an idea if the cooling solution can handle a worst case load, then go on to OCCT large data set, as it tends to fail sooner than just about anything. After that I work my way down through the synthetics and then mop up with some real-world testing to make sure there aren't any bizarre outliers.

Trying to validate a part with just real-world loads is usually going to mean problems down the line as longer jobs can easily reveal issues as test run missed, or other real-world applications can turn out to be more stressful than the tests employed. Over the long run it's a recipe for disaster if any important work is done, or data stored or manipulated, on such a system.

Certainly, some uses can get by with sloppy validation, but recommending a decidedly less than worst case load without knowing that the system won't be used for something non-trivial strikes me as reckless. I suppose one could say the same thing about overclocking, but I'd trust a properly validated overclocked setup over an untested bone stock setup any day.
Nonsense. Used to run a 5930k at 4.5Ghz at 1.3V on X99 Classy for a couple of years rock solid and never run prime or linpack or whatever, not once. Never had stability issues. Prime is the quickest way to deteriorate a chip. You'll be chasing that stability not realizing that the longer you're stressing it, the less o/cable it becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Disagree with what? Obviously system must perform error free 100% of the time so whatever test procedure is used has to test system a little above that and still have no error/failures.
That the best load test is automatically what the system will normally be used for. That's not to say it's should be used to test, but even if one works in a margin based on that test, one could still miss relevant issues that other tests could find.

Different tests can isolate specific areas of weakness, so that rather than relying on broad reductions, one can increase margin where it's most likely to be needed. No matter what sort of loads one expects to run, or what sort of margin one is comfortable with, knowing more is only going to help.

Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Nonsense. Used to run a 5930k at 4.5Ghz at 1.3V on X99 Classy for a couple of years rock solid and never run prime or linpack or whatever, not once. Never had stability issues.
How do you know? The idea that instability is always obvious is a fallacy.

More importantly, how do you know your use case is analogous to anyone else's?

You can't have too much stability, but you can have too little.

Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Prime is the quickest way to deteriorate a chip. You'll be chasing that stability not realizing that the longer you're stressing it, the less o/cable it becomes.
Pushing a combination of too much current and/or current through a chip at too high a temperature; too much thermal cycling; or dirty power can all degrade parts. However, if these factors are kept constrained, you can run any arbitrary piece of software for any arbitrary length of time and expect a long service life without issue.

Anyway, I have a five year old 5820K and a similarly aged E5-1660v3 here that has seen quite a bit of very demanding stress testing and are still in service with little to no degradation, because I set limits, and in normal use they were way below them. I have certainly killed chips as well, but I consider it better to weed out weak samples early on than baby them to be disappointed later.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blameless; 04-23-2020 at 09:36 AM.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Fix it till its broke

Rep: 7 (Unique: 4)
Prime 95 is a waste of time, I’ve seen it fail after 24 hours, I’ve seen it pass 24 hours only to fail in game. Waste of time. Want to know if your cpu is stable, and test your cooling? Linpack Xtreme. If you can run those numbers, you can run anything. It’s not a power virus. But it will kick the snot out of your cpu.

X5690 E.S. @ 4200MHz 1.35v/Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT/TF8/TY-143
Asus Rampage III Formula @ 200/3600/3600 Bios 0702/Intel 545S 256GB x2
16GB G.Skill + Super Talent Mix @ 800MHz 9-9-9-24 2T 1.6v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified 3988 @ 1490/1900|Asus Xonar Essence ST/KEF M500
CM Silent Pro M2 850|Fractal Design Meshify C/Panaflo NMB x3/ZM-MFC2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Iconoclast

Quote: Originally Posted by Owterspace View Post
I’ve seen it fail after 24 hours, I’ve seen it pass 24 hours only to fail in game.
So have I.

Waste of time.
Any tool used improperly is a waste of time.

The advantage Prime95 has is how tunable the test parameters are and how predictable some failure modes can be. You can often test/isolate very specific issues with core, memory controller, or memory settings by choosing the right FFT sizes, or switching from standard to in-place tests, for the hardware in question. Certain errors also occur far more often due to specific components.

For example, on my Haswell-E parts, I can usually tell the difference between a problem that can be fixed with more vcore, one that needs more or less input voltage, and one that will be resolved with more vring/VL tuning.

While such interpretations neither wholly objective or completely reliable, they do usually point in the right direction and can save a hell of a lot of time when one wants to squeeze as much performance as possible out of a setup that must also be as stable as possible. Even if there are better combinations of tests for falsifying final stability, I consider Prime95 invaluable for dialing in those settings.

Want to know if your cpu is stable, and test your cooling? Linpack Xtreme. If you can run those numbers, you can run anything.
I've also seen configurations that will pass 24-hour/thousand loop runs of LINPACK, but also fail real world tests, Prime95, or OCCT.

There is no single test, nor number of independently run tests, that are particularly good at ruling out most potential instabilities. If I'm focused on ensuring a system is as broadly stable as possible, the only way I'm going to be confident in this is with several workloads for each given component, run both individually, and in a variety of combinations.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 06:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 33)
I am using a Hyper 212+ and lost the lottery but she still hits 70s even under 1.1v

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
When i had 5820k with D15 in Corsair 460x Case ,i was running it @ 4,5 ghz without any problem for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezzz.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	341014  

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 03:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by dVeLoPe View Post
I am using a Hyper 212+ and lost the lottery but she still hits 70s even under 1.1v
212 is not all that good a cooler. Not that I believe thermal design ratings in cooler specs, but 4x 6mm heatpipe coolers like Hyper 212 have a thermal design power rating of about 160w (40w per 6mm heatpipe / 60w per 8mm heatpipe). Top tier cooler with 6x 8mm heatpipes and 8x 6mm heatpipes have thermal design ratings frm about 320w up to 360w .. twice or more what Hyper 212 has.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 06:10 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 169 (Unique: 102)
Hi,
lol op has left the building

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM copper-plexi water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper-plexi Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
D5 pump reservoir combo/ GTX280/ VRM block/ GTX280/ D5 top/ CPU block/ GPU block/ Mora 360/ repeat.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
D5 reservior combo/ 240GTX/ Koolance VRM block/ 240GTX/ D5 Top/ CPU block/ Gpu block/ Mora 360LT/ back to reservoir
Cooling
Mora 360LT black 25000
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo 500gb
Power Supply
EVGA 1000P2
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 11:50 PM
Iconoclast

OP was active yesterday, so I'm assuming they are aware of the posts in this thread.

Anyway, got around to doing some updated test on my 5820K/X99 SOC Champion/NH-D15S setup, with the hottest test I know of for this platform:

22C ambients; Fractal Design Define R5 with three Arctic P14s at full ~1700 rpm as intakes, with clean filters; no case exhaust fans; NHD-15S with NT-H1 TIM and two Thermalright TY-143 at full ~2500 rpm on the CPU during this test. All power saving features disabled.

1GHz OC on the core (3.3 to 4.3GHz), 1.1GHz OC on the uncore (3GHz to 4.1GHz), and 16GiB (4x4 single rank micron) DDR4-2667 12-11-12-27-T1 with extremely tight secondary/tertiary timings. 1.91v input (medium LLC, 500kHz VRM PWM), 1.225v core, 1.2v ring, +100mv VCSSA, 1.06 VCCIO.

OS is Server 2016 (effectively identical to Windows 10 1607 LTSC), fully updated, and well stripped down.

This is no longer my primary system (no personal information on it), so I've got it running the last pre-mitigation microcode for Haswell-E (3A). The most recent microcode with all available patches for spectre and meltdown related exploits requires about 20mV more vcore for the same clocks, and pushes temperatures to throttle points in AVX2 LINPACK.

More real-world loads are obviously considerably cooler, and even with the stock fan on the D15 and case fans at very quiet levels, most anything short of OCCT, Prime95, LINPACK, or AIDA64 FPU will stay at very comfortable temperatures at 4.3GHz core.

YMMV, some chips will run hotter, some will run cooler, while ambient temperatures and air flow obviously play a big part. My particular 5820K sample is a relatively low voltage and high leakage part that runs a bit warmer than most, volt for volt, but needs lower vcore for most OCs.

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 07:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
OP was active yesterday, so I'm assuming they are aware of the posts in this thread.

Anyway, got around to doing some updated test on my 5820K/X99 SOC Champion/NH-D15S setup, with the hottest test I know of for this platform:

22C ambients; Fractal Design Define R5 with three Arctic P14s at full ~1700 rpm as intakes, with clean filters; no case exhaust fans; NHD-15S with NT-H1 TIM and two Thermalright TY-143 at full ~2500 rpm on the CPU during this test. All power saving features disabled.

1GHz OC on the core (3.3 to 4.3GHz), 1.1GHz OC on the uncore (3GHz to 4.1GHz), and 16GiB (4x4 single rank micron) DDR4-2667 12-11-12-27-T1 with extremely tight secondary/tertiary timings. 1.91v input (medium LLC, 500kHz VRM PWM), 1.225v core, 1.2v ring, +100mv VCSSA, 1.06 VCCIO.

OS is Server 2016 (effectively identical to Windows 10 1607 LTSC), fully updated, and well stripped down.

This is no longer my primary system (no personal information on it), so I've got it running the last pre-mitigation microcode for Haswell-E (3A). The most recent microcode with all available patches for spectre and meltdown related exploits requires about 20mV more vcore for the same clocks, and pushes temperatures to throttle points in AVX2 LINPACK.

More real-world loads are obviously considerably cooler, and even with the stock fan on the D15 and case fans at very quiet levels, most anything short of OCCT, Prime95, LINPACK, or AIDA64 FPU will stay at very comfortable temperatures at 4.3GHz core.

YMMV, some chips will run hotter, some will run cooler, while ambient temperatures and air flow obviously play a big part. My particular 5820K sample is a relatively low voltage and high leakage part that runs a bit warmer than most, volt for volt, but needs lower vcore for most OCs.
Looks good!
Is it loud? Have you tried slowing case fans down a few hundred rpm, maybe even 400rpm? I've found as often as not I can lower fan speeds some without temps rising .. but obviously with much less noise.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in