i7 5820k on a Noctua NH-D15 - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

i7 5820k on a Noctua NH-D15

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 170 (Unique: 103)
Hi,
Interesting
Uncore/ max cache 41 ? what voltage/ offset did that take ?

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM copper-plexi water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper-plexi Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
D5 pump reservoir combo/ GTX280/ VRM block/ GTX280/ D5 top/ CPU block/ GPU block/ Mora 360/ repeat.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
D5 reservior combo/ 240GTX/ Koolance VRM block/ 240GTX/ D5 Top/ CPU block/ Gpu block/ Mora 360LT/ back to reservoir
Cooling
Mora 360LT black 25000
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo 500gb
Power Supply
EVGA 1000P2
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:51 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Looks good!
Is it loud? Have you tried slowing case fans down a few hundred rpm, maybe even 400rpm? I've found as often as not I can lower fan speeds some without temps rising .. but obviously with much less noise.
At peak load (about 220-230w dissipated by the CPU, with ~250w going into the VRM) it's extremely loud.

However, I have the P14s all attached to the case's built-in fan controller and normally run them at 7v, which is about ~1000rpm; I only crank them up to 12v if I expect to be running heavy combined CPU and GPU loads for protracted periods of time (or the most demanding of stress tests). The TY-143s are both PWM controlled and sit around 900-1200 rpm through most loads, only reaching 100% past 80C on the CPU.

I like having that extra RPM range to handle outlier loads and ambient conditions, but for most uses the system is more than quiet enough to sleep next to or listen to music with, without headphones.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Uncore/ max cache 41 ? what voltage/ offset did that take ?
Only 1.2v cache/ring, or a 150mV offset. I'm using fixed voltages though. Nothing undervolts or downclocks, ever, as the system is normally loaded, or off entirely.

This board has Gigabyte's version of the OC socket, which helps uncore clocking considerably, as well as memory clocking to a lesser extent.

The six reserve VLs revealed are set as follows:

VL1 - 1.39v
VL2 - 1.2v
VL3 - 1.37v
VL4 - 1.44v
VL5 - 1.43v
VL6 - 1.44v

Most people only set VL6, but I found the auto voltages on the rest to be excessive and, after much trial and error, settled on these.

With the OC socket disabled via the switch on the motherboard, or the VLs all manually set to minimum (0.01v for the first three, and 0.9v for the rest) max stable uncore clock is closer to 3.6GHz at 1.2v ring, or 3.8GHz with 1.25v.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blameless; 04-26-2020 at 03:00 PM.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
At peak load (about 220-230w dissipated by the CPU, with ~250w going into the VRM) it's extremely loud.

However, I have the P14s all attached to the case's built-in fan controller and normally run them at 7v, which is about ~1000rpm; I only crank them up to 12v if I expect to be running heavy combined CPU and GPU loads for protracted periods of time (or the most demanding of stress tests). The TY-143s are both PWM controlled and sit around 900-1200 rpm through most loads, only reaching 100% past 80C on the CPU.

I like having that extra RPM range to handle outlier loads and ambient conditions, but for most uses the system is more than quiet enough to sleep next to or listen to music with, without headphones.
Sounds like my systems except I use temp sensors to monitor temp for automatic control of fan curves reaching 1000-1100rpm @ 65-70c then ramping rapidly to full speed at about 80c on rare occasions.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 441 (Unique: 306)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Nonsense. Used to run a 5930k at 4.5Ghz at 1.3V on X99 Classy for a couple of years rock solid and never run prime or linpack or whatever, not once. Never had stability issues. Prime is the quickest way to deteriorate a chip. You'll be chasing that stability not realizing that the longer you're stressing it, the less o/cable it becomes.
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
That the best load test is automatically what the system will normally be used for. That's not to say it's should be used to test, but even if one works in a margin based on that test, one could still miss relevant issues that other tests could find.

Different tests can isolate specific areas of weakness, so that rather than relying on broad reductions, one can increase margin where it's most likely to be needed. No matter what sort of loads one expects to run, or what sort of margin one is comfortable with, knowing more is only going to help.

How do you know? The idea that instability is always obvious is a fallacy.

More importantly, how do you know your use case is analogous to anyone else's?

You can't have too much stability, but you can have too little.

Pushing a combination of too much current and/or current through a chip at too high a temperature; too much thermal cycling; or dirty power can all degrade parts. However, if these factors are kept constrained, you can run any arbitrary piece of software for any arbitrary length of time and expect a long service life without issue.

Anyway, I have a five year old 5820K and a similarly aged E5-1660v3 here that has seen quite a bit of very demanding stress testing and are still in service with little to no degradation, because I set limits, and in normal use they were way below them. I have certainly killed chips as well, but I consider it better to weed out weak samples early on than baby them to be disappointed later.
The problem here is this.
BOTH of you are correct.

The root cause of the problem is that NO ONE ever discusses what the safe volts/amps points are. I'm probably one of the first people on this forum (or any forum) to raise a huge stink about it. Back during Core 2/Yorkfield/Nehalem/Sandy Bridge, even Haswell, not a single post actually discussed this. All there were were voltage "estimates" with absolutely NO mention of current load. Anywhere. And absolutely zero people knew how Loadline Calibration affected safe current (Amps) load V points with respect to vdroop. The infamous chart on Anandtech years ago was 100% completely wrong--oh, the graph was right (you can't mess up an oscillioscope graprh), but everything they said about it was for the wrong reasons. Why? Because NO ONE mentioned AMPS limits anywhere.
I challenge any of you. Go back five years on this forum, anand, toms, reddit, anywhere and search for anything regarding amps limits in CPU's with respect to voltage. I guarantee you will find absolutely nothing, besides a few random "ICCMAX" posts, with NO explanations from what they mean (unless they come from an Intel poster).

Yet Intel publishes these specs in their data specification sheets. Too bad it takes someone used to reading engineering sheets to understand half the stuff written.

I can't even explain simple stuff like "loadline" and "Amps" and even give a simple *Pre-algebra* math formula to people without them getting all pear-brained. And I'm talking about grown adults here. Even if you type a math formula it's like their brain dropped out of their head into their rectum...

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.

Last edited by Falkentyne; 04-26-2020 at 04:49 PM.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 441 (Unique: 306)
Quote: Originally Posted by Owterspace View Post
Prime 95 is a waste of time, I’ve seen it fail after 24 hours, I’ve seen it pass 24 hours only to fail in game. Waste of time. Want to know if your cpu is stable, and test your cooling? Linpack Xtreme. If you can run those numbers, you can run anything. It’s not a power virus. But it will kick the snot out of your cpu.
Haha. This is true actually.
If you can get all fully matching residuals with 35000 sample size in Linpack Extreme 1.1.2 or LinX 0.9.6, nothing CPU related will crash your CPU. But good luck cooling your CPU with it Now I do not know how relevant LinX testing is for memory overclocking...Not touching that, period.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
The problem here is this.
BOTH of you are correct.
I've never disputed that running more demanding loads will degrade a chip faster, but if one has rational limits, a short period of extreme load (and correspondingly higher rate of degradation) will be well worth the extra piece of mind when it comes to stability...at least if one values stability. The lower clocks, voltages, and temperatures that I settle on will also likely result in greater long-term longevity as well, despite short periods of extreme load.

Take this 5820K for example. I reevaluate the OC I settled on the first year I had it about once a year, usually after changing some other element of the system. After it's initial break in period, I haven't noticed any measurable degradation and the part is five years old, with tens of thousands of hours of load on it. A few hundred of those hours being stress tests isn't going be any great hardship for the limits I've set, and most other OCers would be using a solid 200-300MHz higher OC with 100-150mv more core voltage, all other things being equal.

The root cause of the problem is that NO ONE ever discusses what the safe volts/amps points are.
It's difficult to talk about what current, voltage, and temperatures are safe in isolation because if you reduce one, you get more headroom for the others, within reason.

I challenge any of you. Go back five years on this forum, anand, toms, reddit, anywhere and search for anything regarding amps limits in CPU's with respect to voltage. I guarantee you will find absolutely nothing, besides a few random "ICCMAX" posts, with NO explanations from what they mean (unless they come from an Intel poster).

Yet Intel publishes these specs in their data specification sheets. Too bad it takes someone used to reading engineering sheets to understand half the stuff written.

I can't even explain simple stuff like "loadline" and "Amps" and even give a simple *Pre-algebra* math formula to people without them getting all pear-brained. And I'm talking about grown adults here. Even if you type a math formula it's like their brain dropped out of their head into their rectum...
I've mentioned current limits in these arguments since I joined this forum, back when I was running S939 Opterons and Core 2s.

OCN's search function is garbage, but I was able to quickly find a few posts where I mention current draw:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...l#post12020416
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...l#post25173829
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...l#post21234022
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ml#post8614082
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...l#post22385729
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...l#post22546004
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...l#post25173829

We're certainly not the only one who has mentioned current and it's relationships/limits.

There is a reason I'm not referencing IccMax...I can dramatically exceed spec IccMax on almost any part, and have parts that have been run nearly 24/7 for a decade-plus that have been past IccMax the whole time. However, I rarely get anywhere near anything like absolute max voltage ratings, or even the VID range limits on parts. Both the voltage ranges and current limits in the whitepapers are only useful as very rough guidelines. IccMax in particular is extremely arbitrary; it varies with TDP, which in turn can be wildly different between parts of the same architecture and die flavor...even parts that could well have been cut from the same wafer and assigned to an SKU randomly. Collected anecdotes about what's killed or degraded what are more relevant figures.

Anyway, I've been reading the datasheets on my parts and have been aware of loadlines and stated current maximums since before I was a member of this forum.

Ultimately, cooling limits dictate voltage and current limits for me.

Haha. This is true actually.
If you can get all fully matching residuals with 35000 sample size in Linpack Extreme 1.1.2 or LinX 0.9.6, nothing CPU related will crash your CPU.
I can demonstrate otherwise fairly easily, on some platforms, including Haswell-E.

OCCT, for example, will almost always crash very quickly at the minimum core voltage it takes to be stable in LINPACK, or even a few notches higher. Sometimes even certain Prime95 FFTs will. Even enormous runs of it aren't a great indicator of CPU stability. I can do 500 loops of 35000 problem size in Linpack Xtreme 1.1.2 with all matching residuals, and then fail in a few minutes of OCCT large data set, and this is readily repeatable.

I mostly save LINPACK for testing thermals and power delivery because of this.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Yup forgot about this thread alright
Just got my D15 chromax today and installed it, bumped the 5820k to 4.5ghz and now idles around 29-30c with 18c ambient and somewhere at 55-60c full load.
This cooler is amazing, now my laptop is louder than my desktop.
To be fair the paste under the H90 was all but dried up so I could have definitely gotten the temps down but I did notice some corrosion on the fins of the rad (almost like something seeped out) so it went straight into the bin.
Will wait for intel's next chip but might also try AMD since apparently they are not as bad as 5 years ago - let the flamming begin hahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in