Are there any 'go-to' fan curves for 3950x on MSI Unify? Constant fluctuation. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Are there any 'go-to' fan curves for 3950x on MSI Unify? Constant fluctuation.

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Are there any 'go-to' fan curves for 3950x on MSI Unify? Constant fluctuation.

Hey all,

I have built the new system with the 3950X and MSI Unify.

Got Windows installed etc...

I went into BIOS and enabled PWM mode and Smart Fan Mode.

The thing is, it is quiet but at idle, the temperature fluctuates so much that the fans are always ramping up and down with it.

Is there recommended curve?

At idle, just on Chrome, it's literally min 36 and max 63 degreesC.

Is it ok to set a custom curve to literally be on a extremely low RPM and then ramp up after 70?

Maybe I have them all set to go with the CPU temp atm and should change that to.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

EDIT

In the BIOS, I’ve fiddled with the curves and it’s dead quiet. I can actually hear a slight electrical sound coming from the motherboard now. Put my ear up to the IO of the motherboard and it’s coming from there. Is this generally normal?

EDIT EDIT

Seems to be the Arctic Freezer II pump noise I can hear.

My Rig
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon 5670 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard
Asus P6tD Deluxe
GPU
GTX 1080 TI
RAM
12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
1TB + 500GB HDD
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 650w
Cooling
Noctua u12p
Case
Coolermaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 64Bit
Monitor
Dell u2711
Keyboard
Blackwidow Ultimate
Mouse
Deathadder 3500dpi
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by 8564dan; 04-24-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Hey all,

The thing is, it is quiet but at idle, the temperature fluctuates so much that the fans are always ramping up and down with it.

Is it ok to set a custom curve to literally be on a extremely low RPM and then ramp up after 70?

Maybe I have them all set to go with the CPU temp atm and should change that to.

Thanks!

EDIT

In the BIOS, I’ve fiddled with the curves and it’s dead quiet. I can actually hear a slight electrical sound coming from the motherboard now. Put my ear up to the IO of the motherboard and it’s coming from there. Is this generally normal?
There's no predefined curve that will fit your build perfectly. The fan curve it's dependent on the case, fans, cooler and their configuration, aswell as the hardware, CPU and GPU.

Just make a curve and test. There's no good or bad, it all depends on your builds, the temps and noise level you are comfortable with.
That being said, on ryzen because of the thermal density and the consequential temp. spikes, it's recommended to use a custom curve with with a very mild RPM change between 30 and 60°C.

Try to use set something like this and check temps 0-40°C 500rpm, 60°C 800rpm, 65°C 1000rpm, 70°C 1200rpm and 75°C max RPM (or 1500).

If your CPU consistently spike with cooler and case fans above 70°C with the curve i gave you, you either endure the noise, or improve cooling.

Last edited by Shenhua; 04-24-2020 at 12:31 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Set a flat spot in the curve. Say 32-55 at a set RPM and for the most part with a decent cooler the CPU hopefully stays there. Then ramp up from there with it maxing out at 70C and set the ramp delays up a hair so it steps up and down and does not bounce around. And for the 3950x this is most likely why AMD recommends water cooling so you do not hear this little issue since they like to bounce temps up/down in 10C swings when doing very little.

MSI MEG X570 Ace
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Corsair H115i Platinum, Corsair Crystal 570x RGB Case
32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3600 @3800
MSI Geforce RTX 2080 Super Ventus SX OC w/ Acer Predator X34P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 07:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!

EDIT

EDIT EDIT
Seems to be the Arctic Freezer II pump noise I can hear.
I assume you changed the curve so fans stayed at idle speed to higher temp before ramping to higher speed? Motherboard (unless they have internal fans) make no noise.

CLC pump noise is very common. Part of the reason I will never use CLCs. Even AIOs like Swiftech Drive X3, be quiet! Silent Loop and Aqua Cool Aisbaer usually make a little more noise at idle than air cooling. All have water pumps that can often be heard by good ears sometimes even a meter away in very quiet room.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in