Why doesn't the Scythe Ninja 5 get more love here? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why doesn't the Scythe Ninja 5 get more love here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SlvrDragon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,422
Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
I just swapped my 1800X's cooling from a 480mm custom loop to the Scythe Ninja 5.

It's quiet but worlds away from the loop in cooling ability.

I'm a little disappointed, was hoping to be able to run 4.1 ghz all core , which is why I did the test on the loop at that speed for comparison's sake. I was running 4175 mhz at 1.525+V on the loop for a daily.

The custom loop hadn't been cleaned in 8 years of operation - fluid was fine, but the rad was completely plugged...lol. I'll post a pic later if i get time.
Hah, I would love to see that rad! The comparison of the Ninja 5 against a 480mm is pretty neat. I would never expect the Ninja 5 to compare against the 480mm loop, but it seems like it still does quite well, no?

This is ponchato's test of the Ninja 5, shows it doing very well.

SlvrDragon50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Food Editor
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 24,511
Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
Hahahah. That is a very acceptable answer.
I grabbed a box of 50 when the grapevine first started rumbling about non-renewals and what not.

I almost became a dedicated vendor when the supply line originally dried up. we quickly found you could order bulk without scythe's name just fine. Seems that's what FrozenCPU/PPC do now.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
skupples is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 05:06 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
cssorkinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,959
Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
Hah, I would love to see that rad! The comparison of the Ninja 5 against a 480mm is pretty neat. I would never expect the Ninja 5 to compare against the 480mm loop, but it seems like it still does quite well, no?

This is ponchato's test of the Ninja 5, shows it doing very well.
I was hoping it would be able to run all core at the boost clock of 4.1ghz, but that was a little too ambitious. It just takes a lot of volts to run that speed.

@Slaughtahouse

It's not a fair comparison by any means . The loop cost about $260 and took about 4 hours to get up and running , whereas the Scythe Ninja was $65 and took only about 45 minutes to get mounted etc. Which I should mention that it was a strong point - easy install - BUT you need the factory AM4 motherboard backplate so keep that in mind if ordering one.

I don't think you'll see much degradation as long as you keep it cool - I've been running 1.52+ Volts to the 1800X continuously sinche May of 17 and it would still prime at the same volts @ 4.0ghz it did when new and under the loop. It did need a little bump in volts to be stable on the Ninja 1.360 vs 1.4 V.

Is it worth the extra volts etc for the performance gained? Though it's well past the point of diminishing returns for V invested, in my situation I think it is honestly . It hasn't hurt the chip and only uses the extra watts when it's actually being worked. The 4175 mhz clocking makes up for some of the single core shortfalls it has , I don't know that it would be worth doing on the 3XXX chips though.


8 years worth of dust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1262.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	342840  



cssorkinman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SlvrDragon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,422
Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
I was hoping it would be able to run all core at the boost clock of 4.1ghz, but that was a little too ambitious. It just takes a lot of volts to run that speed.

@Slaughtahouse

It's not a fair comparison by any means . The loop cost about $260 and took about 4 hours to get up and running , whereas the Scythe Ninja was $65 and took only about 45 minutes to get mounted etc. Which I should mention that it was a strong point - easy install - BUT you need the factory AM4 motherboard backplate so keep that in mind if ordering one.

I don't think you'll see much degradation as long as you keep it cool - I've been running 1.52+ Volts to the 1800X continuously sinche May of 17 and it would still prime at the same volts @ 4.0ghz it did when new and under the loop. It did need a little bump in volts to be stable on the Ninja 1.360 vs 1.4 V.

Is it worth the extra volts etc for the performance gained? Though it's well past the point of diminishing returns for V invested, in my situation I think it is honestly . It hasn't hurt the chip and only uses the extra watts when it's actually being worked. The 4175 mhz clocking makes up for some of the single core shortfalls it has , I don't know that it would be worth doing on the 3XXX chips though.


8 years worth of dust
Geeeeeeeeeez. I can't believe you let it get that bad! That's insane.

I have a new mobo/cpu so I should be good on the backplate front. I'll probably just run my Hyper 212 though since I've spent a lot more on this system than I expected. I think if I want to go for a quiet system, I'd be better off replacing my Scythe S-Flex 120mm with some Arctic P14s so they can run at a lower RPM w/ the same amount of air moved.

Is there a reason why you went with the Ninja 5 instead of the Fuma 2? Or did you see the same reviews I did?
SlvrDragon50 is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
cssorkinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,959
Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
Geeeeeeeeeez. I can't believe you let it get that bad! That's insane.

I have a new mobo/cpu so I should be good on the backplate front. I'll probably just run my Hyper 212 though since I've spent a lot more on this system than I expected. I think if I want to go for a quiet system, I'd be better off replacing my Scythe S-Flex 120mm with some Arctic P14s so they can run at a lower RPM w/ the same amount of air moved.

Is there a reason why you went with the Ninja 5 instead of the Fuma 2? Or did you see the same reviews I did?
I had the radiator attached to my desk, kind of a weird mount - not easy to take apart etc, it was cooling fine - from the FX 8350 in march of 2012 till now - just didnt need to mess with it.

Finally thought it was time to mount it to the p5 and do a proper job of configuring the loop. We'll see how far I get with it.

I bought a Mugen 5 a while back and it was doing a fine job with the 2600K so I thought I would try the Ninja. It's just a temp while I get the loop done.


cssorkinman is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SlvrDragon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,422
Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
I had the radiator attached to my desk, kind of a weird mount - not easy to take apart etc, it was cooling fine - from the FX 8350 in march of 2012 till now - just didnt need to mess with it.

Finally thought it was time to mount it to the p5 and do a proper job of configuring the loop. We'll see how far I get with it.

I bought a Mugen 5 a while back and it was doing a fine job with the 2600K so I thought I would try the Ninja. It's just a temp while I get the loop done.
Ahh, I just take a vacuum to my radiator to get the dust out. Also, the filters on my case are fantastic so most of it is on there.

That's brilliant. I don't know why I never thought of keeping a CPU cooler to still use the computer while the loop is being rebuilt. I've always rushed to disassemble and reassemble in a day hah.
SlvrDragon50 is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,820
Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
Been looking for an air cooler for my server build. Honestly, I could get by with my Hyper 212, but I like to waste money. Anyways, in my search the Scythe Ninja 5 popped up, and it seems to be absolutely killing in terms of noiseerformance. It does seem not perform as well in overclock situations, but that seems to be due to the low fan speed as they aren't being performed with reference fans.

I see LGMRT is extremely popular, and it definitely tested well, but the Scythe Ninja 5 is cheaper and quieter than all of the other towers. Is the Ninja's worse OC performance the main reason it doesn't get recommended as much as the LGMRT?
*cough* Noctua fans.

That's why. There are plenty similarly performing coolers, some cheaper, some not, some better, some worse, some with better mounting some with worse.
It also depends on your region/market what is even available at all.
Such as Thermalright can be difficult to buy and it probably still is in my country at times. Yep still is, can see plenty of the weird rare use TR coolers but CPU coolers? Nah, almost none.

Considering NINJA 5 is 120mm, why bother, I prefer 140mm coolers, but it may be OK. Price wise... costs more than my 140mm TR cooler did, so no thanks there.
Fuma 2 could be better as far as I know but again costs even more.
JackCY is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SlvrDragon50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,422
Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
*cough* Noctua fans.

That's why. There are plenty similarly performing coolers, some cheaper, some not, some better, some worse, some with better mounting some with worse.
It also depends on your region/market what is even available at all.
Such as Thermalright can be difficult to buy and it probably still is in my country at times. Yep still is, can see plenty of the weird rare use TR coolers but CPU coolers? Nah, almost none.

Considering NINJA 5 is 120mm, why bother, I prefer 140mm coolers, but it may be OK. Price wise... costs more than my 140mm TR cooler did, so no thanks there.
Fuma 2 could be better as far as I know but again costs even more.
Oh if I could get a LGMRT for the same price as a Ninja 5 or Fuma 2, I would 100% go for the LGMRT. I agree 140mm is better than 120mm if you're going for silence, especially if the fans are already coming on the cooler. It is just odd to see Thermalright get suggested all the time when it is not as easy to obtain as the Scythe coolers, and the Scythe coolers have formidable performance all while being cheaper.
SlvrDragon50 is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,820
Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
It really depends where you are, what is sold on your market in your country or where you can buy from. I had to get my TR cooler from a Germany based shop as they get stuff from their distribution channels and in my country I think no one still distributes TR so shops/eshops don't sell their products. It's not just a continent thing but a country to country it varies based on distribution, this applies to any product and brand. The big brands often sell everywhere while smaller brands don't care as much to do so.

Considering the similar performance of similar design coolers it comes down to what you can buy and at what value, that will determine what cooler is the best value for you in your shopping are at that time.

I didn't see a single seller on Geizhals.eu for LGMRT so no idea where anyone in EU is buying those. Must hunt around to find them for sure. Caseking has no TR Macho, mindfactory either and only has a TR plastic tunnel/duct haha. Maybe the human virus has put a stop to shipping TR to EU for now, who knows. Or one has to get them from US or Asia... :/
JackCY is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 04:06 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 26,448
Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
It really depends where you are, what is sold on your market in your country or where you can buy from. I had to get my TR cooler from a Germany based shop as they get stuff from their distribution channels and in my country I think no one still distributes TR so shops/eshops don't sell their products. It's not just a continent thing but a country to country it varies based on distribution, this applies to any product and brand. The big brands often sell everywhere while smaller brands don't care as much to do so.

Considering the similar performance of similar design coolers it comes down to what you can buy and at what value, that will determine what cooler is the best value for you in your shopping are at that time.

I didn't see a single seller on Geizhals.eu for LGMRT so no idea where anyone in EU is buying those. Must hunt around to find them for sure. Caseking has no TR Macho, mindfactory either and only has a TR plastic tunnel/duct haha. Maybe the human virus has put a stop to shipping TR to EU for now, who knows. Or one has to get them from US or Asia... :/
Thermalright products have become progressively harder to find. In Europe I ued to go to www.thermalright.de/ and look at "where to buy", but just now it gives an error and no list.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off