Why doesn't the Scythe Ninja 5 get more love here? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why doesn't the Scythe Ninja 5 get more love here?

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 03:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
It really depends where you are, what is sold on your market in your country or where you can buy from. I had to get my TR cooler from a Germany based shop as they get stuff from their distribution channels and in my country I think no one still distributes TR so shops/eshops don't sell their products. It's not just a continent thing but a country to country it varies based on distribution, this applies to any product and brand. The big brands often sell everywhere while smaller brands don't care as much to do so.

Considering the similar performance of similar design coolers it comes down to what you can buy and at what value, that will determine what cooler is the best value for you in your shopping are at that time.

I didn't see a single seller on Geizhals.eu for LGMRT so no idea where anyone in EU is buying those. Must hunt around to find them for sure. Caseking has no TR Macho, mindfactory either and only has a TR plastic tunnel/duct haha. Maybe the human virus has put a stop to shipping TR to EU for now, who knows. Or one has to get them from US or Asia... :/
soooooo much this. Scythe products are basically non existent in canada. At one point last year, scythe started selling their products on amazon which is when i got the fuma 2 for $40 less then a NH-D15 (95 vs 135 all in). At the time, the ninja 5 was also available for 10 dollars less but i figure i'd jump on the fuma instead. Months later, both products aren't sold by amazon/fulfilled by amazon anymore. Even if you go to newegg, there are no scythe coolers sold by newegg.ca. Other sites i've checked was canadacomputers, memeoryexpress and mikescomputershop and none of them even carry scythe products.

it's too bad though. I have some scythe case fans for over a decade and they are still going strong which is why i went with the fuma 2 in the first place. I guess they are just a niche brand.

Ryzen 5 2600x (stock)
ASRock Taichi x470
G.SKILL Ripjaws V (2 x 8GB) 3200 @ 14-14-14-34
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 (stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 05:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)
Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
"Case" is a thermaltake P5 - sans the tempered glass intake to radiator and heatsink is pretty much ambient. Room temp would be within a degree or two F depending on Hvac cycling for both setups.

I'm flushing the loop, getting new tubing, some new fittings and going mount everything to the p-5 . Just needed a cooler to get by with while I'm working on the liquid setup.

I see you have Gskill memory. what is the clearance between the memory and the fan mounted on Ninja 5? I am trying to debate between FUMA 2 and Ninja 5 for my girlfriend's build. Ordered Geil EVO II ram kit, but those are tall. So I am trying to eye the clearance.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 07:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kriant View Post
I see you have Gskill memory. what is the clearance between the memory and the fan mounted on Ninja 5? I am trying to debate between FUMA 2 and Ninja 5 for my girlfriend's build. Ordered Geil EVO II ram kit, but those are tall. So I am trying to eye the clearance.
In my OCF I have Trident X which is 55mm from the bottom of the pcb on the edge to the top. I took photo so you can see what it looks like. Also I have my Fuma 2 on my X99 Godlike so you can compare, I didn't measure to see if the memory slots are spaced the same though.

The biggest failure part of the Ninja 5 is that if you have tall ram you have to jack up the fans so the bottom fins with the cutouts for memory don't get any airflow and the top of the fans just blow over nothing. The Fuma 2 doesn't have this issue but on my Apex 11 the ram slots are very close so it is a really tight fit with the 15mm included fan so even the Fuma 2 has problems sometimes. In the picture without the fan with the Fuma 2 I moved the memory stick into the first slot and the included fan would still fit fine with that slot occupied.

https://imgur.com/a/pb4k77K

Kanna
(13 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by D-EJ915; 05-02-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kriant View Post

The fans are resting on the ram and this makes it necessary to allow for a little more height on the cooler in your case as well.

As the other poster mentioned, it also renders the bottom few rows of fins passive.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
The fans are resting on the ram and this makes it necessary to allow for a little more height on the cooler in your case as well.

As the other poster mentioned, it also renders the bottom few rows of fins passive.
Maybe this will help.
Case CPU cooler clearance + 5mm ≤ 120mm or 140mm fan + RAM height
Case specified CPU cooler clearance plus 5mm is equal to or greater than fan size plus height of RAM measure measured out of socket.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 499 (Unique: 279)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Maybe this will help.
Case CPU cooler clearance + 5mm ≤ 120mm or 140mm fan + RAM height
Case specified CPU cooler clearance plus 5mm is equal to or greater than fan size plus height of RAM measure measured out of socket.
Yes, helpful.

This is what mine looks like from the top down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolermeasurement2.png
Views:	3
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	343434  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in