Help choose a cooler (FUMA 2 vs Ninja 5) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Help choose a cooler (FUMA 2 vs Ninja 5)

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)
Help choose a cooler (FUMA 2 vs Ninja 5)

Good day! My girlfriend wanted a PC really bad, and as such I've decided to help her build one.

So far I have ordered the following components:

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
EVGA 2060 XC (found at a very good price)
Geil EVO II AMD Edition 3600

Personally I haven't been into air cooling ever since I've tried out water (custom loops all the way! lots of rads! MOAR RADS!), but since I am doing a "budget build" here, I am trying to figure out which cooler to grab.
I have narrowed down to FUMA 2 and Ninja 5.

My main concern about Ninja 5 - Ninja 5 has 5.5cm clearance for ram (as far as I have been able to find out on the web), while EVO II stands 5.1cm tall. This means that one of the fans for Ninja 5 will have to be mounted higher to get the necessary clearance for ram. No clue how much that will affect Ninja 5's performance. In addition to that it will cover slot 2, and RGBs. Personally I couldn't care less, but my girlfriend likes RGBs.
My main concern about Fuma 2 - loud than Ninja 5, performs slightly worse, from what I have read.

Looking for input (especially if anyone used both coolers).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Linux Gamer

Rep: 63 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kriant View Post
Good day! My girlfriend wanted a PC really bad, and as such I've decided to help her build one.

So far I have ordered the following components:

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
EVGA 2060 XC (found at a very good price)
Geil EVO II AMD Edition 3600

Personally I haven't been into air cooling ever since I've tried out water (custom loops all the way! lots of rads! MOAR RADS!), but since I am doing a "budget build" here, I am trying to figure out which cooler to grab.
I have narrowed down to FUMA 2 and Ninja 5.
Have you looked at the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power? It's a top performer and usually cheap.

My main concern about Ninja 5 - Ninja 5 has 5.5cm clearance for ram (as far as I have been able to find out on the web), while EVO II stands 5.1cm tall. This means that one of the fans for Ninja 5 will have to be mounted higher to get the necessary clearance for ram. No clue how much that will affect Ninja 5's performance. In addition to that it will cover slot 2, and RGBs. Personally I couldn't care less, but my girlfriend likes RGBs.

My main concern about Fuma 2 - loud than Ninja 5, performs slightly worse, from what I have read.

Looking for input (especially if anyone used both coolers).
I thought most reviews had the Fuma II outperforming the Ninja 5.

I would hesitate to run a cooler with a very convex base like the Fuma/Fuma II on Ryzen. In theory coolers with a highly convex base don't perform as well with the chiplet layout. I haven't seen any thermal benchmarks on Ryzen to back that up, but such data could be worth seeking out.

If you're not overclocking, perhaps the convexity is not a huge concern, but a matter worthy of consideration at least. It may cause the less convex Ninja 5 to outperform the Fuma II. Then there's the matter of how the CPU IHS can deform/dent due to a highly convex base; not much of an issue if you always use the same cooler, but if you were to switch to a flatter cooler later, it would make poor contact and cause thermals to be worse, albeit you could always lap it, if it becomes an issue.

FWIW mounting the fan higher on the heatsink had no noticeable effect with my Ninja 4; IMO it's a non-issue, especially with push/pull.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 08:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
The reviews I saw had the Ninja 5 outperforming the Fuma 2 when you take noise into account. If you're talking outright performance, then I believe the Fuma 2 wins, but that is likely due to having higher RPM fans. I'm not sure if you watched Ponchato's review, but his methodology seemed quite sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
The reviews I saw had the Ninja 5 outperforming the Fuma 2 when you take noise into account. If you're talking outright performance, then I believe the Fuma 2 wins, but that is likely due to having higher RPM fans. I'm not sure if you watched Ponchato's review, but his methodology seemed quite sound.

Never saw that reviewer before. But he did sway me in the direction of FUMA 2, so I went ahead and ordered it.

Thanks for your input guys! =)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 43)
Never saw that reviewer before. But he did sway me in the direction of FUMA 2, so I went ahead and ordered it.

Thanks for your input guys! =)
Awesome! His reviews really should be getting a lot more views. Videos are straight and to the point.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
Any review that doesn't have a detailed discription of test station and a detailed test procedure is suspect. The test procedure needs to be written, not told like a story by a talking head.

GamerNexus has a very good detailed explaination of why most cooler testing is flawed:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...sts-are-flawed

They also have a good test station and do accurate cooler testing:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...-nh-d15-others

Another site with very in-depth reviews is TheLab, It's a Greek site so need to use translater. Their testing includes 3 cooler orientations:
https://www.thelab.gr/reviews/heatsi...oling-reviews/

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Any review that doesn't have a detailed discription of test station and a detailed test procedure is suspect. The test procedure needs to be written, not told like a story by a talking head.

GamerNexus has a very good detailed explaination of why most cooler testing is flawed:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...sts-are-flawed

They also have a good test station and do accurate cooler testing:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...-nh-d15-others

Another site with very in-depth reviews is TheLab, It's a Greek site so need to use translater. Their testing includes 3 cooler orientations:
https://www.thelab.gr/reviews/heatsi...oling-reviews/

Thanks for the input!

I've installed FUMA 2. Temps slightly higher than expected, maybe I put too much paste, but overall seems decent. 3600 under prime95 blend, after 14h maximum registered temp was 81.5 (probably during small fft). Hovers at 4.075ghz all cores under load on average.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
Thanks for the input!

I've installed FUMA 2. Temps slightly higher than expected, maybe I put too much paste, but overall seems decent. 3600 under prime95 blend, after 14h maximum registered temp was 81.5 (probably during small fft). Hovers at 4.075ghz all cores under load on average.
Have you checked the air temp entering cooler during a long test? It is very possible the air inside of case is warmer than room when system is working hard. Every degree warmer air is make component (CPU same degree hotter. If room is 22c and air into coole ris 35c with 81.5c and case airflow is improved so air into cooler is 25c, then CPU would be 71.5c instead of 81.5c. This is why when a system seems to be running hot one of the first things I check is air temp entering cooler.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post
Have you looked at the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power? It's a top performer and usually cheap.

I thought most reviews had the Fuma II outperforming the Ninja 5.

I would hesitate to run a cooler with a very convex base like the Fuma/Fuma II on Ryzen. In theory coolers with a highly convex base don't perform as well with the chiplet layout. I haven't seen any thermal benchmarks on Ryzen to back that up, but such data could be worth seeking out.

If you're not overclocking, perhaps the convexity is not a huge concern, but a matter worthy of consideration at least. It may cause the less convex Ninja 5 to outperform the Fuma II. Then there's the matter of how the CPU IHS can deform/dent due to a highly convex base; not much of an issue if you always use the same cooler, but if you were to switch to a flatter cooler later, it would make poor contact and cause thermals to be worse, albeit you could always lap it, if it becomes an issue.

FWIW mounting the fan higher on the heatsink had no noticeable effect with my Ninja 4; IMO it's a non-issue, especially with push/pull.
You would strip your mounting screws long before you could permanently deform an I.h.s. Also the yield strength of copper is basically unchanged at that temp: http://www-ferp.ucsd.edu/LIB/PROPS/PANOS/cu.html and creep generally doesn't become a concern on the timescale of a lifetime until you get over half of the melting point of a metal. The I.h.s. won't hit a third of its.
But I'm just being nitpicky, I didn't know the Fuma was convex and it does sound worse for broad coverage because of that.

L5
(16 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
Team 16GB [email protected]
Hard Drive
1Tb Team sata+1TB Team sata+1TB 42mm msata
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design C (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, M1060, DT990pro, Fidelio2
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB Samsung cheap
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in