Budget LGA1150 HSF <£25? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Budget LGA1150 HSF <£25?

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 26)
All these fat arse coolers make me just want to get a Hyper 212 and forget about getting something that just barely fits for a few degrees better temps/lower noise. Wish they'd just standardize the spacings for cases/mobos for medium and XL and divide coolers into the too, too much pain in the bum checking each cooler to see if they fit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT. Not sure about your local price. I bought it for approx £16.

Main Rig
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 6500 @ 4256MHz
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6
GPU
Palit JetStream GTX1070
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 2x4GB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Kingston UV400 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB HDD
Optical Drive
LiteOn DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Cooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP case fan
Cooling
Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 case fan
Case
Fractal Define R5
Operating System
Win10 Education Edition 64-bit
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 100
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK mini
Audio
HiVi Swan M50W
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 PM
New to OCN?

Rep: 1545 (Unique: 927)
Quote: Originally Posted by Buttnose View Post
All these fat arse coolers make me just want to get a Hyper 212 and forget about getting something that just barely fits for a few degrees better temps/lower noise. Wish they'd just standardize the spacings for cases/mobos for medium and XL and divide coolers into the too, too much pain in the bum checking each cooler to see if they fit!
Mugen 5 for sure fits but it is going to be on the 50gbp range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 26)
The ID-Cooling SE-224-XT doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Think I'd rather go for one of the cheaper smaller coolers than the Mugen at that price.

Also @doyll I gave the wrong mobo model before, I'm actually using a Maximus Gene VI:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...x16)-hdmi-matx

Hope that doesn't bugger up which coolers would fit too much

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote: Originally Posted by Buttnose View Post
The ID-Cooling SE-224-XT doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Think I'd rather go for one of the cheaper smaller coolers than the Mugen at that price.

Also @doyll I gave the wrong mobo model before, I'm actually using a Maximus Gene VI:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...x16)-hdmi-matx

Hope that doesn't bugger up which coolers would fit too much
That changes things a lot. There are now more coolers that will fit.

Asus Maximus Gene VI center CPU to near side of PCIe socket is about 72.5mm and to near side of RAM socket is about 52.5mm with RAM only in front of CPU / cooler. Now we can use cooler with back offset to clear RAM.

Because larger coolers with more heatipipes cool better then can cool a lower wattage CPU with much less noise. I always use big coolers because of this. My systems like i7 6700K are inaudible unless working extremely hard like rendering graphics and even then just loud enough to audible. Same goes for i5 8500 65w TDP under Macho and even older i7-920 @ 4.2GHZ under TRUE Spirit 140 Power & i7 980 under PH-TC14PE systems.

Did more looking and seems there is kinda a shortage of 4x 6mm heatpipe 120mm fan coolers in the £20-30 range right now. Same is true of decent 6x 6mm /4x 8mm heatpipe coolers in the £30-40 range are also thin supply at the moment. Some sites are saying they expect some new stock end of the month, but that could be pie in the sky. A used Hyper 212 sold for £24.60 on ebay.

Your case accpets coolers up to 165mm tall.

I think with a little shopping around for a few days, maybe a week and you can find a good cooler for £30-35. That is what I would be looking for if it was me. But if you really want a small 4x 6mm heatpipe 120mm fan cooler it will do the job, just not as quietly as a better cooler will. To me paying morefor a better cooler is an investment for future builds. So instead of spending £30 now and £30 when you build next system I would spend £35-45 now and use it for a couple or more builds.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in