total power draw - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

total power draw

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 5)
total power draw

Did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I know the fan terminals on the board are 1 amp supply. I have three corsair ML120 I was thinking about using off of one terminal. On the box they are listed as .219 amp power usage. For a 3x total of .657 amp draw and is well under the 1 amp supply. But what I want to know is that max amp required for each fan, or just an average 50% usage? I'm likely putting to much into this but I've learned that assuming can get pretty costly. They are pwm fans and I'd likely be running them about 50-60% power. Or should I just buy a powered hub and do that? My system is liquid cooled and the rad fans are running off powered hub since they draw more than an amp when connected 3 to a terminal. Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Appreciate any perspective. Like i said, likely reading too much into it and it's likely max draw listed. But better safe than the alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
I would not run 3x 0.219amp rated fans on a fan header. That 0.219amp is run rating. At startup fans can draw about 3-5 times more for fraction of a second .. much longer if something gets stuck in impeller while motor has power. If you have ever heard of someone frying their fan headers or fan controller, it always happens when starting system.
Below is Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon run and startup load ratings so you can see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentle Typhon 12v -Nidec fan spec.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	348928  

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
I would not run 3x 0.219amp rated fans on a fan header. That 0.219amp is run rating. At startup fans can draw about 3-5 times more for fraction of a second .. much longer if something gets stuck in impeller while motor has power. If you have ever heard of someone frying their fan headers or fan controller, it always happens when starting system.
Below is Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon run and startup load ratings so you can see what I mean.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. That running it may only be .657 total amps, but the initial draw could be quite higher. Easy enough to correct. I'll pickup a fan hub and call it good. That way there's no doubt as to what could happen in the long run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in