Noctua NF-A12x25 for open air case fan or something cheaper? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Noctua NF-A12x25 for open air case fan or something cheaper?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 113)
Noctua NF-A12x25 for open air case fan or something cheaper?

Like a lot of us, I'm looking to keep my PC as quiet as possible while maintaining low temperatures, especially now that I'm working from home all the time. I naturally got a couple of NF-A12s for my radiator but, for "open air" low resistance fan locations, such as the rear exhaust of the case, is it worth it?

I've been considering the be quiet silentwings 3 instead but they are almost as expensive as the NF-A12s so I feel I might as well get the Noctua (despite their color scheme not quite matching the rest).

I've also considered the Arctic P12 PWM but they seemed geared more towards higher static pressure situations. They might still be good, though.

Any other fans I should consider? Should I just get more Noctuas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
I'd get the arctics
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 41)
For open air you want whatever has the highest CFM at the lowest db you can handle. Noctua's likely do have the best CFM/noise ratio but at a very high cost.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
Quote: Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
Like a lot of us, I'm looking to keep my PC as quiet as possible while maintaining low temperatures, especially now that I'm working from home all the time. I naturally got a couple of NF-A12s for my radiator but, for "open air" low resistance fan locations, such as the rear exhaust of the case, is it worth it?

I've been considering the be quiet silentwings 3 instead but they are almost as expensive as the NF-A12s so I feel I might as well get the Noctua (despite their color scheme not quite matching the rest).

I've also considered the Arctic P12 PWM but they seemed geared more towards higher static pressure situations. They might still be good, though.

Any other fans I should consider? Should I just get more Noctuas?
No.
Silent Wings 3 PWM high speed are best fan I know of. They are definitely better with a more pleasant sound when audible than others, even Noctua.

Fans with high CFM and high mm H2O flow about the same as fans with high CFM and low mm H2O in open use. That means no filters or fancy grills.

I believe be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM high speed will have best cfm to noise ratio.

Much depends on where on Earth you are because what I can get is likely not the same as what you can. Some links to where you buy would be helpful.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Depends, I've had Silent Wings 3's, Corsair ML and various other brands and models and the NF-A12x25 has a unique sound signature, very similar to Gentle Typhoons (also known as Nidec Servo fans) meaning they can run full speed at 2000RPM and still won't produce any noticeable wind rumble like for example the ML's do.
Keep in mind they Noctuals will get very, very costly if you'd want to expand and keep the same model.

Threadripper 3960X @ broken PBO EDC=40 | Aorus TRX40 Xtreme | Enermax Liqtech II 360 TR4 + EK Clear flush + 3x Noctua A12x25 | 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3800C14 @ 3733 CL14-15-15-30 CR1 | EVGA Kingpin 2080Ti @ 2115MHz / 8250MHz + Noctua A12-25 | 4x1TB 970 PRO raid0 | Corsair MP600 2TB | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W | In Win D-Frame 2.0 Gold | ASUS PG349Q

Last edited by Martin778; 05-27-2020 at 10:20 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

A lot of good points here. Much appreciated. I'll need to think about it some more.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
No.
Silent Wings 3 PWM high speed are best fan I know of. They are definitely better with a more pleasant sound when audible than others, even Noctua.

Fans with high CFM and high mm H2O flow about the same as fans with high CFM and low mm H2O in open use. That means no filters or fancy grills.

I believe be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM high speed will have best cfm to noise ratio.

Much depends on where on Earth you are because what I can get is likely not the same as what you can. Some links to where you buy would be helpful.
I'm in the US so I'd be buying from Newegg or Amazon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Martin778 View Post
Depends, I've had Silent Wings 3's, Corsair ML and various other brands and models and the NF-A12x25 has a unique sound signature, very similar to Gentle Typhoons (also known as Nidec Servo fans) meaning they can run full speed at 2000RPM and still won't produce any noticeable wind rumble like for example the ML's do.

Keep in mind they Noctuals will get very, very costly if you'd want to expand and keep the same model.
Good old Gentle Typhoons. Good to know about the sound signature.

PS. I don't plan on running these at a high RPM. Most likely under 1400, if that makes any difference to anyone's recommendations. I'm very focused on silence.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I ordered one silentwings 3 PWM high-speed to test out. I don't plan on running it a high RPMs but, it appears there's a big RPM drop-off that occurs with these fans when dropping the PWM from 100% so I decided to go with the high-speed to compensate. I don't know if I'll have that drop-off issue with the Corsair commander pro but, better be safe. I hope the fan has no issues running at low RPMs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
Quote: Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
I ordered one silentwings 3 PWM high-speed to test out. I don't plan on running it a high RPMs but, it appears there's a big RPM drop-off that occurs with these fans when dropping the PWM from 100% so I decided to go with the high-speed to compensate. I don't know if I'll have that drop-off issue with the Corsair commander pro but, better be safe. I hope the fan has no issues running at low RPMs.
The PWM control problem is with only a very few controllers, aquaero being the main one.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by Martin778 View Post

Considering he is asking for no restrictions case fan, probably, he'll never run them past 1000.

OP

Take a look at schyte kaze flex. The 1200 seems to have good numbers, they sound great and they're not bad quality.
In spain i can get my hands on them for 10 bucks each.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in