top intake fan seem to help my cooling on 3900x - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

top intake fan seem to help my cooling on 3900x

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
top intake fan seem to help my cooling on 3900x

so I have a few fan in my case, I decided to have nearly all of them as intake.
I think having top fan as intake help cooling one ccd

in the video;

handheld showing heatsink temperature (hint, top of heatsink is cooler)
thumbnail showing hwinfo temperature (hint, difference between ccd1 and ccd2 seem to match top and bottom of handheld temperature)

see video for result and see thumbnail for the temperature in hwinfo

(hwinfo does show the same behaviour with the case closed)
(whole setup is pretty silent too)
(this was while running prime95)
(room temperature is about 24c-25c)

Current
(6 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Sapphire Pulse 5700
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo - F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Define R6
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 02:33 PM
High IQ Person

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Did you used 2 exaust fan on top? If so probably you were removing cold air before it was reaching the cooler

Yeetus
(10 items)
Brother's heater
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X (10x -0.8125 LLC1)
Motherboard
Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi)
GPU
Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+ SE
RAM
G.Skill 3466 C14
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
XFX XTR P1-750B-BEFX
Cooling
NH-D15 AM4
Case
Dark Base 900 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 2600X (10x -0.05 LLC1)
Motherboard
ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
GPU
XFX RX480 GTR (580 BIOS) 1400/2010
RAM
Vengeance LPX 3466 c16
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
ANTEC HCG-750-GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H100i
Case
NZXT H510i
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes they were both (top one) at the same place (over the heatsink) outtake before

Current
(6 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Sapphire Pulse 5700
RAM
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Define R6
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Fix it till its broke

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
In my Meshify I have my 3 blowing from the front, the top front is an intake as well, but is positioned in front of the cpu fan, and is also there to keep the air from the fronts in the case rather than being pulled right out before it touches the cpu. The top rear is an exhaust and the rear is also an exhaust, as normal. For me it works well. I also have a psychotic 92x34 3900rpm screamer on a controller running just under 1800rpm under my 980 pushing out of the pci area. That little fan at full chuff puts my TY-143 to shame lol.

3770K @ 4700MHz 1.35v/Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power TY-143 Push/Pull
ASRock Z77 OC Formula|8GB G.Skill Mix @ 1100MHz 9-11-9-28-2T 1.68v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified 3988 @ 1497/2001|Intel 545S 256 Striped
CM Silent Pro M2 850|Fractal Define R4/5x 120x38 1x 92x38|ZM-MFC2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1702 (Unique: 941)
The stock Fractal case fans are garbage with such low pressure ratings they need to run full speed to move as much air as a decent pressure rated fan moves at a little above idle speed. Your rear exhaust would probably move as much air into as front intake as the 2 stock fans do. You would need to block all openings not cover or the air fan is pushing into case will turn and move right back in front. What model are your top fans?

1x fans is 0db
2x fans is 3.0db louder than 1 fan making same amount of noise
3x fans is 4.8dB louder than 1 fan making same amount of noise
4x fans is 6.0db louder than 1 fan making same amount of noise
5x fans is 7.0db louder than 1 fan making same amount of noise 6x fans is 7.8db louder than 1 fan making same amount of noise
Above is just the increase in volume of multiple sound sources of same sound. In our cases we have additional noise created when mounted on grill, as well as filter if intake.

Have you removed PCIe back slot covers? Doing this increases rear vent area around and below GPU for better front to back airflow so usually lower temps.

2x high pressure rated front intakes and maybe a bottom intake should supply all the airflow you need to have similar temps with less noise. You will need to block any openings in front and bottom that are not covered by fans so the air they push into case has to move through case, not leak back around fans and go in circles.

You might find below link to basics of airflow and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Have you removed PCIe back slot covers? Doing this increases rear vent area around and below GPU for better front to back airflow so usually lower temps.

2x high pressure rated front intakes and maybe a bottom intake should supply all the airflow you need to have similar temps with less noise. You will need to block any openings in front and bottom that are not covered by fans so the air they push into case has to move through case, not leak back around fans and go in circles.

You might find below link to basics of airflow and how to optimize case airflow of interest:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

no, i didn't remove the back covers

bottom and both front intake are the fan that cam with the case
both top fan are corsair ml120
back fan is the fan that came with the noctua nhd15s
fan on the noctua heatsink are NF-A15 (black)

funny the link that you gave is showing a thermometer , i have exactly something like this already done. there is about 1c difference between inside and outsite.
in my video at about 20-21 seconds mark you can see the probe on the right side of the heatsink

Current
(6 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Sapphire Pulse 5700
RAM
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Define R6
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by spirch View Post
no, i didn't remove the back covers

bottom and both front intake are the fan that cam with the case
both top fan are corsair ml120
back fan is the fan that came with the noctua nhd15s
fan on the noctua heatsink are NF-A15 (black)

funny the link that you gave is showing a thermometer , i have exactly something like this already done. there is about 1c difference between inside and outsite.
in my video at about 20-21 seconds mark you can see the probe on the right side of the heatsink
NF-A15 is a decent fan, MLs' aren't horrible either .. both are much better than stock intake fans. If the could be fit up front they may improve case airflow.

What are fan speeds and noise levels?

If it was me I would be turning off top and back fans one at a time while monitoring air temp into cooler and CPU temp over 5-10 minutes and see if the added noise they make is worth having them running/installed.

Great minds and all that.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
NF-A15 is a decent fan, MLs' aren't horrible either .. both are much better than stock intake fans. If the could be fit up front they may improve case airflow.

What are fan speeds and noise levels?

If it was me I would be turning off top and back fans one at a time while monitoring air temp into cooler and CPU temp over 5-10 minutes and see if the added noise they make is worth having them running/installed.

Great minds and all that.

i did play a little bit around with fan intake / outtake, so far the way i have it setup seem to be the best, in my situation.

all fan were running under 1000rpm (running at around 600-700 when idle) in the video (reported by hwinfo)

noise level is good (light white noise), my house AC when turned out make more noise than my PC. even the next door neighbour AC is louder than my PC(that is an issue not really for this forum ahah).

on a side note, i think i didnt put enough paste and I don't have enough to redo it so this is something i need to plan in the future, i will see how hot things get during summer.

Current
(6 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
Aorus x570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Sapphire Pulse 5700
RAM
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Define R6
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 10:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by spirch View Post
i did play a little bit around with fan intake / outtake, so far the way i have it setup seem to be the best, in my situation.

all fan were running under 1000rpm (running at around 600-700 when idle) in the video (reported by hwinfo)

noise level is good (light white noise), my house AC when turned out make more noise than my PC. even the next door neighbour AC is louder than my PC(that is an issue not really for this forum ahah).

on a side note, i think i didnt put enough paste and I don't have enough to redo it so this is something i need to plan in the future, i will see how hot things get during summer.
Sounds like it's setup pretty well. I wouldn't worry about not enough paste. CPU chip is much smaller than IHS area. Truthfully IHS is not really a heat spreader at all. What it does is spread mounting load to edges of CPU socket so cooler base doesn't push and de-form the 1000+ contact surfaces between CPU and motherboard damaging them and making our systems junk. Most CPU chips fit under a TIM print forming a circle in center of IHS just reaching it's edges. Exception Threadripper which are much bigger (4x chips 22.5x50mm under IHS approx 50.5x68mm) IHS almost as big as a credit card.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in