is it really the CNPS20X the best CPU cooler? or why all these review sites have huge performance differences? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

is it really the CNPS20X the best CPU cooler? or why all these review sites have huge performance differences?

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to OCN?

Rep: 1545 (Unique: 927)
is it really the CNPS20X the best CPU cooler? or why all these review sites have huge performance differences?

I have noticed that since Kitguru reviewed the CNPS20X the performance difference between a NHD15 and the zalman was around 4-7c, but this difference is similar to going with water cooling, how would you determine which sites have accurate results

HardwareCanucks places the NH-D15 ahead the Zalman CPU cooler meanwhile kitguru.. does the opposite with an AMD CPU?

https://hardwarecanucks.com/cooling-...nps17x-review/

Tweaktown with a Ryzen 3600 places closer to a NH-U12A I assume there isn't enough heat to make a huge difference
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/94...er/index6.html

so we could conclude that maybe the NHD15 is better for monolithic single die high power consumption CPU while the zalman is a better choice for multiple dies processors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 450 (Unique: 298)
Here you go - https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...ir-cooler.html

This was already beaten to death. No need to do it again.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 04:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
What ciarlatano said.

Only name of thread needs to be changed from "Woirld's best air cooler!" to "World's worst cooler review!"
Charts and graphs only show results, not how data was collected. How the procedure of how data is collected is key. Most cooler testing procedures don't even give us a ball park idea of which is better, let alone which is best.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 04:19 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 179 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Most cooler testing procedures don't even give us a ball park idea of which is better, let alone which is best.

For a paid promotion piece, including any actual proven information would only hinder sales.

BEST to keep everyone looking at the RGB fan lights here, which shall hypnotize you into believing it's the World's Best Air Cooler .
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 03:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
on par with other high end air coolers but not as good as the arctic freezer II 280 in terms of pure performance. is that 5C difference actually going to make any real difference?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 04:33 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
on par with other high end air coolers but not as good as the arctic freezer II 280 in terms of pure performance. is that 5C difference actually going to make any real difference?
You felt the 2C difference in the LFII important enough to point out though, didn't you?

Anything to inject Arctic into a thread.....shill or giant fanboy?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
I just wanna point out, when he says 5C he almost certainly means in GamersNexus testing.

That's in the context that 2C from the first post here isn't applicable because the testing methodologies are insufficiently refined, but that GamersNexus metodologies are in fact good enough and close to ThermalBench and the 2 websites Doyll mentioned.

I also want to point that GamersNexus is still technically flawed, and doesn't represent the best case scenario (For Air coolers especially) in an actual case in an actually completely and fully airflow optimized PC.

My opinion that the difference is, in fact, closer to 2-3C (or even non-existant) when you have the best mesh-metal vented case, the best-performing fans in front, the appropriate amount of fans, best placement and optimization (including 25mm thick fans on the GPU without surround directly on the heatsink) and the most perfect custom fan curves for your setup.

Also including discretely taping out the intake parts of the case (to the extend that satisfies personal aesthetic needs) as Doyll always recommends, and having 1-3/or all PCI-E brackets removed around the GPU, and or a custom filter placed there.

To get NH-D15 and similar to match best CLCs takes more work, more planning, more thinking, but is absolutely possible.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 06-22-2020 at 05:19 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
I just wanna point out, when he says 5C he almost certainly means in GamersNexus testing.
And I just want to point out that he will inject Arctic fans or LFII into every thread he posts in, whether or not it is on topic or applicable in any way.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1696 (Unique: 938)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
To get NH-D15 and similar to match best CLCs takes more work, more planning, more thinking, but is absolutely possible.
In my experience if all PCIe back slot covers are removed with front and bottom intakes only and blocking all openings in front, bottom and front half of top so airflow front & bottom intakes are pushing into case .. and of course setting up fan curves to be inaudible bleow about 60-65c is all that is needed. Rarely does system require any more time / effort.

Besides, setting up radiator and case fans and fan curves needs to be done on CLCs/AIOs the same as with air coolers.

So it all works out to about the same amount of time to install and setup with air cooling as AIO/CLC.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to OCN?

Rep: 1545 (Unique: 927)
Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
between 90 and 85c there is a huge difference if the node is prone to degradation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in