Is this a good deal? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is this a good deal?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is this a good deal?

Hi guys, this is my first post. Me and my friends are thinking about building a bunch of new AMD gaming builds with the Ryzen 9 3950X: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-395...4666011&sr=8-1. We were putting together our custom peripherals together on pcpartpicker, and I came across this ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-AM...e/254652617492, which could solve all of our cooling issues. Here's my question: Would an Wraith Stealth be able to handle 105W TDP, assuming no overclocking. Also, is it a good deal if only for the thermal paste? If not, please recommend a cooler that you think would be a good candidate to buy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 01:17 PM
I can count to potato

Rep: 56 (Unique: 24)
First off, welcome to the forums!

As for your question, the Wraith Stealth would be terrible for 3950x. I briefly used the Wraith Prism that came with my 3900x before moving to a custom liquid cooling setup and the Prism was annoying to me with a stock 3900x. The stealth is a worse cooler than the prism so it would probably throttle and be unbearably loud even at stock settings on a 3950x.

Also look at the plunger on those tubes of thermal compound, both tubes are almost empty.

If you are going all out on a CPU you might as well get a decent cooler for it. On air I would only consider higher end solutions like the Noctua NH-D15, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, Or Be quiet! Dark rock 4

Darling
(20 items)
Sanic
(8 items)
Arctic
(12 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
MSI x570 Ace
GPU
MSI Ventus OC RTX 2080
GPU
GTX 1080 FE
RAM
64GB TridentZ 3200cl14
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750 with heatsink
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Hard Drive
Micron 5100 Pro (SATA m.2)
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
Custom loop
Case
Little Devil PC-V7
Monitor
Omen 32
Monitor
Huion Kamvas GT-220 v2 Graphics drawing display
Keyboard
Clueboard w/ 67g Zealios
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Tekmat AR-15 gun cleaning mat
Audio
JBL 306 MKII studio montors
Audio
Focusrite 2i4 Gen2
Audio
Monolith 10" THX sub
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
GA-Z270N-Gaming 5
GPU
GTX Titan Black
RAM
16GB Ripjaws 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3D m.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Custom loop with external MO-RA3
Case
InWin D-Frame Mini
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
MSI h270 tomahawk arctic
GPU
EVGA GTX 960 FTW 4GB
RAM
Basic 2133 16GB kit
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Hard Drive
Toshiba x300
Hard Drive
Patriot Scorch m.2
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 G2
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Maingear Shift
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 207 (Unique: 179)
Is this entirely focused on gaming? If you're willing to spend that much on a CPU and it's for gaming, to be honest you may be better served looking at Intel. If this is for a mix of stuff, including gaming, productivity that needs the cores, or even "just because I want AMD and I want a very high core count CPU" (yes, that's a valid reason in my mind), then AMD will be a very good option. Typically AMD is better when all factors are considered at most price points, but like the one time Intel is worth consideration is "I am willing to spend a lot on the CPU and the focus is gaming above all else".

The decision to make is often basically "do I want to step up to the next core count tier, or have a bit more IPS (it's not really IPC anymore as Intel just has clock speed advantage) which translates to more gaming performance?". If you don't need the cores, you can either go for Intel (or save money and get a just-about-as-good AMD offering), but I feel AMD is not only better performance for the dollar but has a better chance at longevity. Single-threaded gains aren't big anymore, so barring some new revolutionary jump there, there's less risk they fall into obsolescence by lack of raw computational power per core (and IF such a jump happens, Intel would be only slightly better off relatively anyway since the single core performance difference is so small now). But, for the "I'm willing to spend this much on a CPU so what's the absolute best for gaming", if it's above a certain price point, the answer is often Intel, even if the difference is usually small.

If you're partial to going with AMD, keep in mind that Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000 series) is probably half a year-ish away (said to release this year, but in what capacity is unknown), and those will be supported on recent AM4 motherboards. What I did was I got a Ryzen 7 3700X with the intent of leaving the option there of looking at the next generation CPUs when they release, and then if I decide it's not worth it, the Ryzen 7 3700X is still a good enough minimum for me. If you go all out now, it'll be harder to justify that maybe (or maybe not since the Ryzen 9 should still sell well after). It's really up to you, but that is the approach I took. I also went with AMD because it was ~$150+ cheaper on the CPU alone (comparing Ryzen 7 3700X to Core i7 10700K) and the small difference in gaming didn't matter that much to me. If you're willing to spend that much on a CPU though for gaming, Intel might make sense to you.

As for cooling, I agree with the above. My one point of needed assistance when doing my upgrade was with the CPU cooling, and there were three, four, five or so particular ones that kept getting recommended, and it more or less came down to those. If you do end up going with a Ryzen 9 (12 or 16 core chip) or any Intel (they run warmer I think?), I wouldn't skimp here and would go with one of the better air coolers.

"The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 02:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 440 (Unique: 294)
Your spending way too much on cpu for a gaming rig.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-360...4676490&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-360...90&sr=8-1&th=1

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Hueristic; 07-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Vandelay Industries

Rep: 85 (Unique: 63)
CPU choice will also be dependent on GPU choice and possible upgrade choices down the line. For example the i9 10900k would be mostly pointless for a 2060s or below. You have to jump up to around 2080 level for some CPUs to become the bottleneck. Otherwise they all (6c +) perform about the same since the GPU will be the bottleneck. OFC there are always exceptions......ie...720p gaming low settings etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in