Noctua NH-D15 fans spin to maximum revs at startup, very loudly - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Noctua NH-D15 fans spin to maximum revs at startup, very loudly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 07:33 AM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
 
TK421's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,984
Rep: 166 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Short answer is no, not unless you want newer version. You get a free 1 year subscription for aquasuite updates. After that you just can't get a newer version without buying a 1 year (or 2 year) subscription.

Last free version of aquasuite was 2016 release, and it can still be DL'ed free from aquacomputer website (see below).
New aquacomputer controllers come with latest version and 1 year subscription of free updates (might be good idea to update before 1 year subscription expires).
After subscription expires if you want to update to newer version you have to buy a new subscription (cost about $10/ year)

You can download last free version of aquasuite software by clicking on link below:
https://aquacomputer.de/software.html

Then clicking on:
aquasuite software aquasuite software, (4.159,9 kB)


https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weiter...ensing-system/



what exactly does the firmware update improve on? they have a changelog of some sort?

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀


TK421 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 26,813
Rep: 1702 (Unique: 941)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
what exactly does the firmware update improve on? they have a changelog of some sort?
aquasuite updates address changes in computer hardware and software over the last 4 years. if you have older version and it's working then there is no need to update.

If you have problems with older version and already have an aquaro controller you can get new version with 1 years subscription for about $10.

If you even looked at links I supplied you would know that.

I don't mind helping, but I do get short with those who want to know things and won't even look for simple answers.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 08-01-2020 at 09:22 AM.
doyll is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,134
Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Quote: Originally Posted by kiriakos View Post
Its all about wise choice when shopping for a PWM fan.
GELID 14 PWM 1500 Max rpm and 900 rpm at lowest PWM, in conclusion the fan this is factory programed and these settings work trouble free with my Prolimatech Armageddon.

It is unwise getting higher rpm fans and expect logical modo control, when this controller it is designed for lower rpm fans.
Gelid Silent 14 is 1000 rpm.
14 PWM is 750-1200 rpm.
I am not aware of Gelid selling these in ball bearins variant even if they did exist over 10 years ago.

The Silent 14 used to be an OK cheapo case fan for no obstructions use if you could get it and get it cheap.
For some time though I think Arctic replaced most cheap fan options with their F series and later with P series especially P series with PWM.

I still have those Gelids and they are no match to the Arctic P PWM.

Quote: Originally Posted by DenisL View Post
Thanks for reply.
Maybe they could kick the fans more smarter, for example with a lower voltage, constantly controlling their speed. If they didn't start, increase the voltage a little, and so on. I thought mobos are devices that smart enough for that.


That's just it.


Well, sometimes it is an issue. For example, after midnight when you need to reboot several times, but your wife is sleeping near. These two 140 mm fans at 1500 rpm sound really like a drill.
That's not how motors are supposed to be started. And the starting voltage when increasing from zero smoothly is higher than simply kicking a voltage right away. Such as going smoothly from 0 the starting voltage to get any spinning could be 7 V even though the fan my start spinning at 5 V if you don't do it smoothly from 0 but abruptly. If the fan isn't spinning then the power has to dissipate somewhere as heat.

It's a technical thing to start motors at a higher impulse.

If it bother someone on PWM fans... well run them at lower voltage or get smarter fan control. For me it really spins the fans from PC powered off on max speed for a few seconds only enough for the fans to start spinning well and then immediately quiet down as POST shows up. Aka during initial start up of the machine when there likely isn't any fan control signal the fan controller ICs spin the fans at max, when they are finally told the desired speed/PWM they slow down.

In case of failure, it's better to have fans spinning at max than not at all.

Again technical details even safety.

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
I have an Asus Prime Z370-P i5 8500 w16GB RAM that case fan headers won't idle below 800rpm. Only way to make it run quiet is to set it so fans don't spin at all until temps reach 55c. This way case fans rarely run.

Luckily CPU fan headers will idle down to lower speeds and a mate is sending me a Phanteks PWM controlled variable voltage fan hub. I'll plug case fans into hub and hub to 2nd CPU fan header. Hopefully this will solve problem.

I've often wondered if the engineers designing things have any idea how things work in real world. All of them should have to spend 1 month a year in the field working on the things they design. That would be a real eye opener for many of them.
That's some weird controller, bet it's one of those that tries to detect fan speeds and give you control of that instead of doing it good old dumb way, here is the PWM % you can adjust, do what ever you want. Some of these "smarter" controls try to offer RPM selection or RPM range % instead of true PWM %.

It's a typical management failure, here make us this, so it gets made and no one much cares who and why will use it, what the true needs are.

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Short answer is no, not unless you want newer version. You get a free 1 year subscription for aquasuite updates. After that you just can't get a newer version without buying a 1 year (or 2 year) subscription.

Last free version of aquasuite was 2016 release, and it can still be DL'ed free from aquacomputer website (see below).
New aquacomputer controllers come with latest version and 1 year subscription of free updates (might be good idea to update before 1 year subscription expires).
After subscription expires if you want to update to newer version you have to buy a new subscription (cost about $10/ year)

You can download last free version of aquasuite software by clicking on link below:
https://aquacomputer.de/software.html

Then clicking on:
aquasuite software aquasuite software, (4.159,9 kB)


https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weiter...ensing-system/
Is that a pure hardware solution or does it rely on software control. As in can it accept PWM signal or does it need software running on top of an OS to be able to read out CPU/GPU/... temperature. Because if it needs software running then well may as well use a free Speedfan etc. to control fans based on anything on any port. Temperature probe fan control is very old, can work in some cases but attaching the probes is usually the same old pain to do.
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 26
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
What's the specs of the be quiet! fan behind the NH-D15?
If it's 'weaker' than the NF-A15(1500rpm), it would actually be getting in the way and causing some kind of backflow, and that would create more noise, wouldn't it?


Are there other fans above the cooler?
Phaaze88 is online now  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 05:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 26,813
Rep: 1702 (Unique: 941)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Is that a pure hardware solution or does it rely on software control. As in can it accept PWM signal or does it need software running on top of an OS to be able to read out CPU/GPU/... temperature. Because if it needs software running then well may as well use a free Speedfan etc. to control fans based on anything on any port. Temperature probe fan control is very old, can work in some cases but attaching the probes is usually the same old pain to do.
Not sure what you mean. As far as I know all fan controllers with programmable temp to rpm curse use software control.

Aqua Computer controllers use aquasuite software to setup temp to RPM control of fans (and/or pump). Depending on which Aqua Computer controller and accessories are being used, they can do way more things than we would ever want. They can monitor pump flowrate, room air temp, air temp into component cooler, water temp (if water cooled), and like I said before even be setup to start coffee machine so our morning cuppa is ready when you set down to computer (user needs to load coffee machine with water and coffee).

SpeedFan probably won't work because it has to load after system startup .. which is when problem is occurring. I don't think aquasuite needs to do this, at least not with aquaero 5 and 6 units. Not sure about QUADRO, OCTO and maybe some others Aqua Computer sells that use aquasuite.

Best way to get more info about aquasuite might be to look on OCN aquaero and aquaro software forums
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...tup-guide.html

Or one of the other many aquaero / aquasuite forums:
https://forum.aquacomputer.de/weiter...w-aquasuite-x/
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...read.18629551/

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Shawnb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: In Van Down by the River
Posts: 2,204
Rep: 66 (Unique: 47)
Aquacomputer device settings are tied to the controller, you need the software to set those settings outside of an Aquaero but once those settings are saved they operate without the software.
IE set your fans to 900rpm and as soon as you boot your fans will spin to that speed and only that speed this will happen as soon as post.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Shawnb99 is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 26,813
Rep: 1702 (Unique: 941)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Aquacomputer device settings are tied to the controller, you need the software to set those settings outside of an Aquaero but once those settings are saved they operate without the software.
IE set your fans to 900rpm and as soon as you boot your fans will spin to that speed and only that speed this will happen as soon as post.
Thanks!

Good explanation.
I haven't used my aquaro in several years and the system it was in was setup many years earlier.
I don't think it's motherboard ran fans full speed at startup so didn't know if aquasuite software started with power on or after system boot.
Know I know.

I do know Aqua Computer aquaero line, QUADRO, 0CTO, etc. are the best out there hands down!

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
kiriakos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 63
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Gelid Silent 14 is 1000 rpm.
14 PWM is 750-1200 rpm.
I am not aware of Gelid selling these in ball bearins variant even if they did exist over 10 years ago.

The Silent 14 used to be an OK cheapo case fan for no obstructions use if you could get it and get it cheap.
For some time though I think Arctic replaced most cheap fan options with their F series and later with P series especially P series with PWM.

I still have those Gelids and they are no match to the Arctic P PWM.
According your words, your own feedback this is quit rusty due age.
I did mention Fresh part code FN-PX14-12 with hydro bearings.

Regarding DC fan battles, If my first choice will not be Sanyo Denki (due the cost or due specifications mismatch) then the second Best choice this is Gelid.

kiriakos is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Shooting down fallacies
 
ciarlatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 7,997
Rep: 452 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by kiriakos View Post
According your words, your own feedback this is quit rusty due age.
I did mention Fresh part code FN-PX14-12 with hydro bearings.

Regarding DC fan battles, If my first choice will not be Sanyo Denki (due the cost or due specifications mismatch) then the second Best choice this is Gelid.
There may be something lost in translation going on.....but the OP is not looking to change fans, and I would wager is certainly not looking to change out his Noctuas to Gelids. He is having an fan controller issue. Your posts are off topic in this thread.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
ciarlatano is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
kiriakos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greece
Posts: 63
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
There may be something lost in translation going on.....but the OP is not looking to change fans, and I would wager is certainly not looking to change out his Noctuas to Gelids. He is having an fan controller issue. Your posts are off topic in this thread.
You seem lost, the OP uses a plain motherboard.
On page three I wrote a complete analysis.

I do not care of you personal opinion about brands.
I am also getting ready to use the appropriate PWM Fan this be connected at a motherboard this supporting standard INTEL cooler and fan.
In conclusion the OP and my self we are in the same train.

kiriakos is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off