Intel Cooler throttling after smart fan turned off - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Intel Cooler throttling after smart fan turned off

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
So I finally started to overclock my CPU but am still on the stock cooler. The CPU heats up pretty good with Prime95 and I have disabled the smart fan stuff. But even with this disabled I am still getting some fan speed adjustments. The fan seems to idle at around 1800 rpm during boot but as everything warms up it comes up to 2000 rpm and under extended prime test it creeps up to 2800 rpm. It seems there is some sort of ambient temp sense that is controlling the true max fan speed…does anyone know how to disable this or a work around? Oh yah tried speed fan with no luck. The cooler is stock with a e8400 processor. Temps are hanging around 71c which is hot (about 25c from TJmax)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 212 (Unique: 181)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmagudaman View Post
So I finally started to overclock my CPU but am still on the stock cooler. The CPU heats up pretty good with Prime95 and I have disabled the smart fan stuff. But even with this disabled I am still getting some fan speed adjustments. The fan seems to idle at around 1800 rpm during boot but as everything warms up it comes up to 2000 rpm and under extended prime test it creeps up to 2800 rpm. It seems there is some sort of ambient temp sense that is controlling the true max fan speed…does anyone know how to disable this or a work around? Oh yah tried speed fan with no luck. The cooler is stock with a e8400 processor. Temps are hanging around 71c which is hot (about 25c from TJmax)
The solution to this is a better cooler, pure and simple. And 71C is extremely hot, any more than that and you risk severe damage to your CPU.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 496 (Unique: 392)
Make sure you really disabled it and saved the settings, also make sure it`s manually set to 100%. If not just hook it up to the PSU and it will always be 100% for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Well like you said that processor was running way too hot and in my earlier tests I had seen 80 something which is just crazy. So I pulled it off and threw on a OCZ Gladiator Max with the proper Arctic Silver 5. So now at the same voltages I see a 30 degree reduction and am happily running 4ghz with out breaking a sweat, literally.

I also did finally find out that the stock intel cooler does have a built in ambient temp sensor that is the master of the true top speed of that stock fan. At the lowest temp with the smart stuff off I would only see 1800 rpm but as the case warmed up it could go as high as 2800 rpm. I might try opening the fan up and see if there is a way to over ride that so people could run higher clocks with stock coolers.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in