Indigo Xtreme for a brand new build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Indigo Xtreme for a brand new build

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 33)
Relevent information: Mobo - Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, CPU - AMD Phenom II 965, HSF - Noctua NH-D14

So hopefully within the next week my last build pieces should arrive and I can finally get started, I'm curious about using IX for a completely fresh start. The installation instructions seem to assume that you already have an OS and a functioning PC in order to perform the reflow right off the bat.

Seeing as I'll be building, that's not exactly true.

Has anyone else had this experience? Seeing as all I'll be doing initially is updating the BIOS, installing the AHCI driver, and then installing the OS, most of me thinks it won't be a problem because that can't possibly be that stressful for the system; even without a proper TIM applied (yet). During which time I can also have all my fans and such running.

However, I don't really know too much about IX so I'm concerned about leaving it under the HSF that long without performing the reflow. I can't think of any good reason it would be a problem, but erring on the side of caution here and looking for input.

Another option would be to just temporarily use another TIM until a functional system is in place and then go about my business.

Also one more question, the page for the CPU Burn program Enerdyne (IX manufacturer) recommends seems to be unavailable. For purposes of (ideally) solely increasing CPU temps, what other programs would be good substitutes? Prime95 and IBT/Linpack/Linx came to mind, but I'm not too familiar with any of them. Thanks in advance

tl;dr - Any problems with having an 'unflowed' Indigo Xtreme in place for the duration of the OS install and then performing the reflow afterwards?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 103)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Definitely use a generic TIM (hopefully your cooler came with a tube) to get your OS installed and ready to burn in before you apply the Indigo Xtreme.

So far as the burn in goes, it really doesn't matter which program you use to stress the processor, so long as you get to the reflow temperature (90C) on all cores.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 155 (Unique: 136)
I have been looking into this Indigo Extreme and when it says 90c is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Because if in Celsius that will kill your CPU yeah, well for an AMD also how is the Indigo did it drop temps much?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Dunno yet. To play it safe I'll probably get the PC to a functional state with the included TIM from the NH-D14 and for the purposes of academia I could compare it to that, but that's about all.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 113)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
I have been looking into this Indigo Extreme and when it says 90c is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Because if in Celsius that will kill your CPU yeah, well for an AMD also how is the Indigo did it drop temps much?
well then. i was thinking about getting some of this stuff, but i've never even seen my chip get this high. i need to find a really ****ty cooler somewhere.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 257 (Unique: 207)
DOnt you kill AMD chips with 90C? :S

gunner2.gif Automated TC Stats! sniper.gif  |   I'm the guy that fixes the TC stats

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 90 (Unique: 70)
I used it on my i7 when I was on air. Lowered my temps by 8-12c
I keep meaing to try it on my HK but not sure how the copper would take the temps.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm not sure where the 90C number came from, probably a little bit of FUD, but the installation PDF indicates that temps max at 80-85C during the reflow process. Also it makes note that
Quote:
AMD multi-core processors have built-in thermal protection that prevents the processor from exceeding maximum core temperatures, thereby preventing any damage to the CPU.
Which seems a little backwards to me, but I'm just gonna follow the instructions lol. I would think that in order for that protection to be effective, it would prevent the chip from ever reaching those temperatures anyway, but what do I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in