Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

View Single Post
post #672 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Hardware Hoshi
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaQ View Post

So let me get this right, random YOU-TUBER makes a claim = fact. Looniam provides copy of part of the pcie spec and you completely fail to read or acknowledge that.
Then proclaim that all the people involved with the design and production of said adapter card are completely incompetent at their daily jobs. rolleyes.gif

AMD did mess up several times in the last 20 years ... especially with power issues! Remember the good old Duron / Athlon XP days? Nice chips, had alot of them myself. Till the moment TOM's found out this things did have no overheat protection. The made a video where see the freaking die go several hundret degree Celsius. The Durons just exploded at some point. Even a few seconds were enough to grill the god damn CPU.

Now you tell me to trust AMD? I trust a Twitch guy with sound and reasonable arguments more than any you guys. Half of you is still talking without even knowing the basics. Someone messed up at AMD - it's crystal clear. Now I want to see how they fix this up without crippling the RX480 reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

How is this proof that AMD did the hardware wiring on the PCB wrong?

And as I've stated at least three times, even if the power distribution can't be programmed by rail in the bios, you could just as easily lower the global power target to decrease the total power draw until the sustained average through PEG does not exceed 75W.

Yeah, but to decrease the power draw will automatically lower the performance of the card. There is no magic at work but science. Pretty much everything goes over multiplicators. At first I thought it could be a bug in either the bios or the AMD software. This happend before with the cooler settings, remember? But this time it seem to be a deeper problem. The hardware wiring is strange at least.

Feels like the RX480 was stitched together at last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

Not to mention undervolting is another option, though impractical to implement on a large scale. But claiming this is a hardware flaw that can't be fixed except by PCB redesign, yeah I don't buy that.
Right because nVidia fans don't do the exact same thing. Maybe you should head over to HardOCP and check out the witch hunt that's going on there, it's absolutely farcical.
So we've gone from 480 would cause motherboards to dei, to it'll pretty much do anything and everything, including blowing up your entire rig. Yeah ok I'm done here.

Overbearing the 12V can damage your mainboard or its components. in worst cases this also can damage other components. With this in mind I will never understand why you guys are so trustworthy. You neclect everything as if it was told by morons. Don't you have a sense of risk?