What kind of content do you want to see on the OCN YouTube Channel? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: What type of content would you like to see on the OCN YouTube Channel?
Livestream Builds 11 33.33%
POD Cast Interviews 17 51.52%
OCN Q&A 15 45.45%
How to videos 27 81.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

What kind of content do you want to see on the OCN YouTube Channel?

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

So, more WC, more teardowns, possible interviews/livestream. I will see about doing some special projects that involves exotic cooling.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 899 (Unique: 589)
As an addition to my prior post...

Think about it from the viewpoint of a buyer who doesn't have the card or component in hand. What do you want to know?

1. Components (because a ___ GPU at whatever MHz is just the same as another of the same model)
2. Power & power delivery / PCB
3. Temperature
4. Acoustics
5. Compatibility with waterblocks
6. is the GPU binned?
7. Is it worth upgrading from ______ GPU?

Some examples of what I mean as far as PCB teardown:

1080 Ti teardown

(GTX 1080 Gaming X stripped down)

Evaluate VRM cooling , memory cooling, GPU cooling , heatpipe diameter , fan size, etc.

Zotac GTX 1070 teardown

RX460 nitro

R9 Fury Nitro

R9 390 nitro

Nitro teardown with interview of AMD in same video

=======================================
NON GPU components
-------------------------
Cases: clearances, various internal & external dimensions, grommeting, included fan quality & cooling ability, noise, any obvious flaws in design (i.e. sharp edges where cables pass through) , etc.

Memory: ICs, speed & timings out of the box, clearances, how far it overclocks on Ryzen + coffee lake, etc.

PSU: size, cabling, efficiency, ripple, load regulation , noise , etc. (think of what you can't find on the spec sheet that is important)

SSD: benchmarks, packaging/build quality , heat/thermals, cost vs other SSDs , etc.

Mice : whatever metrics you find for mice , build quality, ease of software , etc.

Keyboard : whatever metrics you find for keyboard, build quality, ease of software, etc.

Sound card : RMAA (rightmark audio analyzer) + other such metrics, dimensions / size , etc.

Motherboards: power delivery, thermals, featureset, IO speeds (USB/NvME/SATA), audio quality, LAN & Wifi speeds, build quality, BIOs, Linux support, etc.

CPU coolers: clearances / weight , heatsink quality & thermals with a standardized fan (i.e. a Noctua) at 800 / 1000 / 1500RPM, noise , build quality & installation ease, etc.

Fans : PQ curve, build quality, noise (with a recording if possible to make a video worthwhile see Silentpcreview's old materials), db/CFM

Watercooling - radiator : thermal performance with high/low speed fans and a fixed flow rate typical of DDC / D5 pump
Watercooling - pump : unless you have the equipment for this (pressure/flow rate graphing), noise, ... probably not a great idea to review this since very rarely do people buy anything other than D5 or DDC
Watercooling - CPU/GPU block : thermal performance (standardized test procedure such as 1500RPM fans and 0.5 or 1GPM flow rate at pump)

CPUs don't get reviewed often so I won't touch on that.

Thermal compound: thermal performance (obvious) , cure time for maximum performance, perf/$

Networking products: speed, latency, range, software bug-iness, Linux support, etc.

edit: Don't take this personally, I know that some of these aspects are covered in the videos already. Please take these points as a checklists of sorts. However, I feel that these items/aspects should be emphasized more. For example, the image of the PCB is never focused on for more than 2-3 seconds but there's a long time that is spent on picturing the card on the table.

edit 2: Be aware that the above videos don't have any part numbers. If you list out all the part numbers used then you're already better than 90% of youtube. i.e. what is the PWM controller & doubler? What memory ICs are used? Where do you shunt mod?

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 05-12-2018 at 07:06 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 53)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Full disassembly (down to the PCB, sometimes EK /Alphacool configurators lacking those dimensions) and custom loop watercooled components (i.e. GPUs cooled by Heatkiller blocks).

I'm pretty sure even if a PCB teardown video is 2 or 3 minutes long that there will be people watching it because A. it's unique content B. not many people do it. C. people that overclock for hwbot records need this information (to mod and or to cool it with water / LN2). Any youtube person can run firestrike or timespy...

I don't think LN2 is a reasonable expectation.

Builds = meh , everyone and their dog has a build video now

Interviews: If you can get interviews with people of value such as James Prior from AMD

Q&A : I don't know what sort of Q&A would be worth sitting through so there better be a transcript, I'd rather read (or skip pointless parts) than watch unlike youtuber people that just yap on and on about nothing important

How to: unless it's something exclusive or at day 1 of launch, not that useful
I agree with the above statement and we can do much more with tearing down products, and I can help you with this Ryan.

Jeffrey M Edson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

This all good info. I gotta know what you guys want. 😃

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Goddess of Misfortune

Rep: 155 (Unique: 127)
I'm a tad late to this thread, personally. Basically a lot of what AlphaC has said is on point. Aligns with where I would go.

There can be multiple shows and/or different hosts too. Keeps things interesting. Some of the basic show ideas I had in mind:
- A weekly segment on the breakdown of components. (As mentioned before.)
- A show on the fundamentals of overclocking. Like a tutorial or something. Especially when tech always changes.
- An overclocking competition. Could be LN2, air, what have you.
- A "retro" show. Looking back at some of the most important breakthroughs in computers and overclocking.
- Something related to peripherals. Maybe a mechanical keyboard or mouse review. Performance checks.
- Instead of a build video, maybe something like a rig spotlight where once every other week or so you could take a look at a submission and go over the fine points of the build. Also a review of it. Might give people ideas for their own builds. (Could probably work on a "contest" of sorts to be spotlighted.)
- (I know I will get some hate for this but...) A show spotlighting consoles and games of such. There's still a good amount of people here who play PC AND console.
- Of course, you can't not include a weekly news recap. Those are always important to have. It all depends on stories and presentation.

Granted, most, if not all of this has been done before. There's not much else that's unique to this genre. So the best thing to do is just work on being the better presentation. There is already a following willing to support the YT channel, by way of the people of this forum. So you can make it contribution based.

I might be getting ahead of myself for all of this, but I'd love to see the direction of the channel eventually get to this level of entertainment.

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
Ultrima RPX56
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600X @3.78GHz
Motherboard
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon v.1.9
GPU
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Edition
RAM
16GB (2x8GB) Team Dark Pro 3200MHz DDR4
Hard Drive
256GB ADATA SX8000 NVMe SSD
Optical Drive
HP dvd1265i 24X
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Sharkoon M25-W
Operating System
Windows 10/Mageia 6
Monitor
HP OMEN 25 (24.5" 144Hz)
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01
Mouse
Cougar Revenger
CPU
Intel Core i7 870
Motherboard
EVGA P55V
GPU
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti
RAM
6GB 1333MHz DDR3 (4GB+2GB)
Hard Drive
240GB SanDisk SSD Plus
Optical Drive
Lite-On iHAS124 DVD+/-RW
Power Supply
Diablotek PMD 650W
Case
Compaq Presario 7478 case from 2000
Operating System
Mageia 5.1
Monitor
Compaq MV520 15" CRT
Keyboard
Compaq SK-2800C
Mouse
Corsair Gaming M45
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)
I checked off the How to videos option as well. No offense meant, but reviews are a dime a dozen and when it comes to them (separating the wheat from chaff), I tend to lean toward those found on sites like thermalbench. 'Course, to do reviews like those you typically need special (and often expensive) test equipment (anyone got a Dwyer 490A-1 they no longer want? ).

As I mentioned, I'd really like to see more How to type videos, especially with the search functionality on the site being what it is today. Heck, even using Google's site search functionality today isn't anything like it was before the move to VS. While you can still use Google's site search, you have to take note of when a linked search return was posted, as much of the time those returned links take you to the end of a thread, after which you have to backtrack until you find the correct post. You can probably thank a poorly handled 301 redirect strategy for that.

Anyway, there's a ton of relatively recent AND great material here on OCN that could even be used as the basis for any number of videos. Want to make your own cables? Buried posts here show you how to do that. Want to overclock that new build of yours? The same applies. Just takes some digging and consolidation of the info found in any number of relevant threads/posts, as well as time and effort. Can't say that everyone has much of the latter of course.

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

So who wants to see a How to paint your PC case video? I have to paint the OCN test bench tomorrow and I thought I could make a how to paint your case video. Thoughts?

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)
Quote: Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
So who wants to see a How to paint your PC case video? I have to paint the OCN test bench tomorrow and I thought I could make a how to paint your case video. Thoughts?
It's a nice gesture, but how many videos already exist that cover the topic? Would you be doing something different/special that hasn't been covered before by a lot of them? Not trying to sound like a defeatist, mind you; just thinking outside the box.

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

I understand, but they don't exist on the OCN channel. Remember we need to show new members things too, not all of us have been here since 2006. 😜

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Totally Tubular

Rep: 50 (Unique: 41)
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
It's a nice gesture, but how many videos already exist that cover the topic? Would you be doing something different/special that hasn't been covered before by a lot of them? Not trying to sound like a defeatist, mind you; just thinking outside the box.
Question: Should OCN not review the 2700X just because all the other TechTubers already have? The answer is: That shouldn't stop them from reviewing the 2700X. The same goes for any other topic. Growing the OCN channel will grow the user base here.

People will watch something they like, even though they've seen it on other channels already. I love build videos, despite having seen a thousand already. And despite the fact that they mostly use hard tubing and I will never use hard tubing in my own builds.

Previous Project: Heatripper Threadkiller Build Log
Previous Project: TT-Green Build Log (external link)
Previous Project: RED Glare Build Log (external link)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 2700X (1826SUS)
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN Xp COLLECTORS EDITION (Jedi Order)
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i 1000W ATX
Cooling
EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB Nickel-Plexi
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl w/ eBC Backplate
Cooling
Watercool WCP D5-VARIO Pump with Heatkiller D5-TOP
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150 w/ MultiPort Top
Cooling
Watercool MO-RA3 360 LT Radiator - White
Cooling
Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling w/ 10mm x 16mm Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10/16mm Tubing - Crystal Clear
Cooling
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - Yellow
Cooling
Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed Fans (9)
Case
PrimoChill Praxis WetBench - White/Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB270HU bprz 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Audio
Logitech G633 7.1 RGB USB Headset
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in