Site Speed Assessment: Your thoughts - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Site Performance, what is it like for you ?
It is fine, same speed as other sites I use 25 22.52%
It could be better, slower than other sites I use ALL THE TIME 28 25.23%
It could be better, slower than other sites I use SOME OF THE TIME 27 24.32%
Terrible, much slower than other sites I use. 31 27.93%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Site Speed Assessment: Your thoughts

post #41 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Ran 3 ping tests from my part of Australia to Sydney (where the link to USA is) & then to San Francisco & New York.
Don't know where you guys have your servers but hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Speedtest2USA.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	214636  

Daily Gamer
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU
R9 Nano
RAM
Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Titanium Series ST60F-TI
Cooling
Coolermaster MA620P
Operating System
Win 10 Pro
Monitor
Philips 284E MVA
Keyboard
Razer blackwidow ultimate stealth
Audio
Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
<gif test snipped>
When you attach a large-ish image larger than specific dimensions (max 800x600?), embedding the attachment using [ATTACH] tags will resize the image. This is to prevent people from posting huge images that can break the styling.

If you reference the direct images with [IMG] instead the image will work fine:
Spoiler!

If you find any actual bugs related to this, or if you find this undesirable, please make a thread in the Submit a Bug Report section, as this thread is primarily for discussing the actual performance of the site.

What does OCN offer as a site?
What are infractions and warnings?
How to make quality posts
#well
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
GPU
Sapphire RX 580
RAM
2x G.Skill F3-2400C10-8GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Optical Drive
Generic DVD±RW Burner
Power Supply
Corsair TX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Fractal Design Core 2500
Operating System
Arch Linux
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster 2233
Monitor
LG W2453TQ
Keyboard
Ducky DK9008G2, Cherry MX Blue, Overclock.net Edition
Mouse
Logitech G303
Mouse
Xtrfy GP3 HeatoN
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm
Audio
AntLion ModMic v3
Audio
M-Audio Fast Track USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #43 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
Quote: Originally Posted by gonX View Post
When you attach a large-ish image larger than specific dimensions (max 800x600?), embedding the attachment using [ATTACH] tags will resize the image. This is to prevent people from posting huge images that can break the styling.

If you reference the direct images with [IMG] instead the image will work fine:
Spoiler!

If you find any actual bugs related to this, or if you find this undesirable, please make a thread in the Submit a Bug Report section, as this thread is primarily for discussing the actual performance of the site.

Thanks, so it's one more undisclosed oddity of this annoying editor, I had no idea if it was either due to Enterprise having disabled animated GIFs for avatars, a bug or an undisclosed size limit before resizing.

Anyway, I only posted about it here because it followed a discussion me and Enterprise were having in this thread, where he said he had disabled animated GIFs for avatars, and I thought it could be a side-effect of that.

Now that I know what is actually happening, I will not however submit a bug report for undesired behaviour because this frustrating editor (and those are mild words) is supposed to be going away - hopefully soon, so we'll see how the new one behaves in that regard.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 38 (Unique: 32)
Hii,

Whatsap with the uploaded images ? Nothing is loaded or not showing since few days now i believe.

Regards,
JMD
post #45 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Test
Attached Images

post #46 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by J.M.D View Post
Hii,

Whatsap with the uploaded images ? Nothing is loaded or not showing since few days now i believe.

Regards,
JMD
Working Ok here, What browser are you using. Any add ons that block scripts active ?

post #47 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 38 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Working Ok here, What browser are you using. Any add ons that block scripts active ?
Ok Admin,

I will try to make it simple.

Below is the link i posted for the uploaded image in OCN some years back for one of the guides i made :-

https://www.overclock.net/image/id/20...600/height/450

But as of now that link is no more working and you people knows the best for what is the new address linking to that one of several images i had uploaded back then.

Similarly you can see in my sig " A Fix .....". But that link is broken as you must have made some new changes to your servers and stuff.

But my main problem is those images i have uploaded in those days but not any new uploads that I am talking about.

Thanks..
post #48 of 135 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by J.M.D View Post
Ok Admin,

I will try to make it simple.

Below is the link i posted for the uploaded image in OCN some years back for one of the guides i made :-

https://www.overclock.net/image/id/2...600/height/450

But as of now that link is no more working and you people knows the best for what is the new address linking to that one of several images i had uploaded back then.

Similarly you can see in my sig " A Fix .....". But that link is broken as you must have made some new changes to your servers and stuff.

But my main problem is those images i have uploaded in those days but not any new uploads that I am talking about.

Thanks..
Ahh right. Not an image uploader issue then. Your images will be missing from your gallery as not all the image data from the migration made it over from the older platform unfortunately. You may also see other image issues related to external image linking that used the standard HTTP protocol. Now we are on HTTPS, any older external image linking that was once HTTP will no longer show.

post #49 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Not my field this, but when this is literally the only site (out of literally what, thousands?) that behaves like this, i tend to think it's probably not me.

Now maybe the users having no issue have 10GBps lines or something and whatever all that crap running in the background demands, they can meet it. And if so, we're talking about crap that's being allowed to run in the background.
Maybe it's a matter of said bloatware again, albeit in terms of its 'mixing' with software such as ublock origin; perhaps they don't mix all that well.

But it is a problem, it's only here and it's related to all the new shiny.. stuff that loads in the background. After the transition. Not before, not ever and not elsehwere.

Now this is not my field, again, lol, but the above tells me that rather than asking users to tell you their countries, speeds, tracing, etc.? Logic suggests you'd better off looking into what's running here; and why.
Have you done this and failed to mention it? Not done this because you're confident it's on the user side?

Am frankly not sure of the purpose of this thread; though don't misunderstand me, i appreciate its existence.

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 09-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.
post #50 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
Not my field this, but when this is literally the only site (out of literally what, thousands?) that behaves like this, i tend to think it's probably not me.

Now maybe the users having no issue have 10GBps lines or something and whatever all that crap running in the background demands, they can meet it. And if so, we're talking about crap that's being allowed to run in the background.
Maybe it's a matter of said bloatware again, albeit in terms of its 'mixing' with software such as ublock origin; perhaps they don't mix all that well.

But it is a problem, it's only here and it's related to all the new shiny.. stuff that loads in the background. After the transition. Not before, not ever and not elsehwere.

Now this is not my field, again, lol, but the above tells me that rather than asking users to tell you their countries, speeds, tracing, etc.? Logic suggests you'd better off looking into what's running here; and why.
Have you done this and failed to mention it? Not done this because you're confident it's on the user side?

Am frankly not sure of the purpose of this thread; though don't misunderstand me, i appreciate its existence.
I wanted to get a general feel for what uses thought about the performance at our current state. I can then take that consensus to the developers and look where we can make improvements. No blame either way has been suggested, this is just a gauging exercise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in