Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Dice Interface Liquid

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Coldwove
New to Overclock.net

Location: Straya, somewhere in the vast bush with good Ethernet
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpeyton View Post

hmm interesting, I can grab 1 L of it on Ebay for as little as £30 (I think that's about 35 in U.S dollars)...

I'd have to be smoking a cigorette or create a *spark* to ignite it though?

Been seriously considering grabbing it when my new POT arrives (for first time DICE experiment).

Can't seem to find a local LN2 supplier near Edinburgh (in Scotland/U.K).

Due to lack of LN2 available where I live, this could make a big difference to me, as it'll truely enable me to get to -100c ;-)

I hear what you're saying though, I would obviously need to be vigilant. And apply a bit common sense.

The more I think about it the less feasible it sounds, Dice sublimates (turns to gas) at -80C ~ish and I believe that this -100C value refers to Dice that is colder than -100C being added to the diethyl ether and the temperature being brought up to that level. The Dice you can buy is found at its sublimation point, it stays at that temperature because of the ENORMOUS amount of energy (Not exaggerating almost 600KJ per Kg) required to sublimate it, due to this I don't think -100C will come around. Basically, is it possible? Yes but not in a dice pot cooling a "Hot" Component. Secondly on the explosive part, keep in mind this liquid also forms peroxides when it reacts with air, but more concerning than that is its density, it won't just evaporate and drift off, it sinks to the ground and stays there, at -80C the evaporation will be minimal, however, something as simple as the relay in a power supply can provide enough energy to spark it. I am curious though so give it a shot if you want but with good aeration and a properly insulated motherboard (because it is heavier than air because it will condensate on the board) Common sense is always recomended thumb.gif

I don't name my computers...