Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - How to update Intel microcode on windows 7 x64 bootup. For Skylake, Kabylake and others.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Zonified
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
This is a tutorial on how to update the Intel microcode over the native one on each windows 7 x64 boot up.
On major Linux distros, this is a normal thing to load on boot. No need for bios updates or when/if Microsoft release a patch.

Applies to skylake/kabylake cpus and many others, whether Your motherboard manufacturer/Microsoft chooses to support it or not with an update.
I don't know if it also works in Windows7 32bit or Windows10, but it should on Windows8 .

You will need the following:
----cpumcupdate2.1.zip from https://labs.vmware.com
----Linux* Processor Microcode Data File,In the column "Version" Lookout for "YYYYMMDD Latest", not "YYYMMDD Previously Released".
----7zip or winrar to extract .tgz and .tar files (I'm using 7zip exclusively as it has been very stable for me since 2015)
----Optional: HWiNFO64 portable, to check the rurrent running microcode.

-Install 7zip , tick yes to intall windows explorer integration<-- don't remember the exact term... I believe it is
"Integrate 7-Zip to shell context menu" see ~note 1.

-Extract cpumcupdate2.1.zip to a folder, here I use folder named: cpumcupdate2.1

-Right click on microcode-YYYYMMDD.tgz, 7-Zip, Open Archive, double click on microcode-YYYYMMDD.tar, extract microcode.dat to your
cpumcupdate2.1 folder.

-(optional)
Extract Run HWiNFO64 in full or Summary-only mode,
In the system summary window, CPU box, μCU box, you should see the current running microcode at the present time in the system.
(any modification will not show up, rerun HWiNFO64 to see the results.) For my skylake the latest (as of 2017-06-30) should be BA.
Before:

-Here we are going to remove the need to check and force installing amd's microcodes.
-Right click on install.bat, properties, Untick Read-only, click ok.
-Right click on install.bat, Edit (see ~note 2)

-On line 27,
aka
Code:
for %%i IN (microcode.dat microcode_amd.bin microcode_amd_fam15h.bin) DO (
   if NOT exist "%~dp0%%i" (
      echo File %%i was not found.  It needs to be downloaded separately from this tool.
      pause
      exit /B 1
   )
)

-CHANGE
Code:
for %%i IN (microcode.dat microcode_amd.bin microcode_amd_fam15h.bin) DO (
to
Code:
for %%i IN (microcode.dat) DO (

-OR DELETE that block of the script

-Save and overwrite the install.bat file.

-Right click install.bat, run as administrator. The install should complain about the lack of the two amd's
microcodes, click cancel, click yes on "do you want to continue Setup without copying this file?" , do the same for the other file.

-Close then run HWiNFO64 again and you should see that the current running microcode has been updated to the latest microcode.dat file you installed.

The cpumcupdate driver will load it on each boot for now on. Do a full reboot, then rerun HWiNFO64 to check.

-If Intel releases a new microcode,
---Replace the microcode.dat in folder cpumcupdate2.1 ,
---run as administrator uninstall.bat
---run as administrator install.bat

~note 1, you can add or remove the integration by
- Start button, search for 7-zip, "7-Zip File Manager"
- or All Programs, 7-zip, "7-Zip File Manager"
- or C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zFM.exe
- or Any instance 7-Zip running when opening compressed files
go to Tools, Options..., Z-Zip tab, Tick/UnTick your choices, click Apply, OK

~note 2, Sometimes notepad and wordpad misread or miswrite the format in which the (system, scripts, other OS) files is set to, it can cause a mess. On windows, everyone should use a third party application for that, way safer. My favorite is notepadd++.