Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Particle
Debian Dude

Rep: 165 (Unique: 117)
I liked your installation story. My first thought after doing my own installation this week was, "A non-trivial number of people are going to destroy this socket."

In my case, I had inserted the cartridge into the carrier frame, removed the protector over the socket, and then went to close the carrier frame. It was when I was maybe half an inch away from fully closing the frame that I noticed, "Hmm, that doesn't look quite right. The hole in the orange cartridge barely clears screw #1. Is it not supposed to be centered?" As it turned out, the cartridge was still about an eighth of an inch from being fully inserted but at that point had presented enough resistance that it had felt fully inserted. I had to force the cartridge down to the bottom of the frame. After doing so I was nervous about powering the thing on since there isn't any way to really see that the package is aligned correctly unlike previous LGA sockets. For all I knew the cartridge could be slightly misaligned and have just mashed the entire socket full of pins when I tightened the mounting screws.

When I powered it on, the POST reporter flashed through tons and tons of codes but after 20 seconds or so I still had no video. It seemed like the POST reporter was looping through a long sequence with the same codes appearing over and over. Disappointed, I turned it off. I did happen to notice that right as I did so, my monitor went from amber power saving to green active mode--and then it stuck there. Had the system truly given it a video signal at the last moment? Had the monitor just kicked on when the system turned off due to a power saving detection glitch? That would be plausible since voltages on the cable could have fluctuated when powering down. I've certainly seen it before on old monitors like the one I was using when using old display methods like I was--usually VGA, though I was using DVI. I tried again. After about 5-10 seconds, the monitor kicked on and the system was happily going through POST.

I wasn't thrilled with the TR4 socket installation experience.

On a side note: Your story I think illustrates why the installation video from MSI that I watched showed them inserting the processor cartridge before removing the socket pin cover. I don't remember if I did it in that order or not, but knowing what I do now and having read your own story I would strongly advise anyone to do the installation in that order.