Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

View Single Post
post #241 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Barefooter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Asus Aura Sync RGB Software Demo

I've been playing around with the Asus Aura Sync software. I've seen where some people are having problems with this software, particularly with the RAM portion. This is a fairly new version of the Aura Sync software that has only been out for a month now. It has worked perfectly for me, however I have not used it much, and I don't currently have much other software installed either.

I'm going to show you some screen shots of the software, and some videos of what the RGBs on the motherboard and RAM look like in each different mode. This is software version 1.05.28 from 12-6-17 downloaded from the Rampage VI Extreme support page. I'm still set-up on the test bench here. I've propped the motherboard up on an angle, and used a tripod for all these pictures and videos.

Let's start with showing you pictures of the single colors. You can click on the red, green, or blue boxes to the left of the color wheel to go directly to those colors. You can also click anyplace around the color wheel, or drag the little circle on the color wheel where you want it. There are also sliders to control the "Saturation" and "Brightness" levels. I left these maxed for all the pictures and videos here.

Here's the motherboard with all the LEDs off and just room lights on.

All of the rest of the pictures and videos in this post are taken in complete darkness with the monitor turned off. Here are the "Static" colors starting with red. There is a good chance that once my build is complete that I'll just leave everything red like this. The RAM is not quite as bright in person as it looks like in these pictures, it's actually more uniform across the motherboard.

Moving around the color wheel here the next color is yellow, although it looks more like white here.

Green

Light Blue

Dark Blue

This is in the Purple area of the color wheel.

Finally the Pink color. The purple and pink look much better in person.

Here is White, this is the one picture I turned the "Saturation" level all the way down as that's the only way to get white.

The right edge of the motherboard lights up too.

Now that we've seen all the Static colors. Here's what the defaults lighting looks like before you change anything. You can always just click the "Default" button to return to this mode. All of the videos below are just over 20 seconds each.

The first lighting option listed on the left side of the software is "Breathing" with a single color. I use red for all the single color videos here. You can pick any color you would like.

Besides the "Single" color option if you click on the drop down arrow there is also an option to adjust "By Areas". Seven different modes have this option. This screen shot shows the top part of the long list of areas you can adjust individually.

Here's the complete list of areas you can adjust:
Back IO-1
Back IO-2
Back IO-3
PCIE-1
PCIE-2
PCIE-3
PCIE-4
RGB strip-1
RGB strip-2
Center
PCH-1
PCH-2
PCH-3
PCH-4
Back Plate-1
Back Plate-2
Back Plate-3
Back Plate-4
Back Plate-5
Back Plate-6
Back Plate-7
DRAM1 1 (there must be five zone per RAM stick)
DRAM1 2
DRAM1 3
DRAM1 4
DRAM1 5
DRAM2 1
DRAM2 2
DRAM2 3
DRAM2 4
DRAM2 5
DRAM3 1
DRAM3 2
DRAM3 3
DRAM3 4
DRAM3 5
DRAM4 1
DRAM4 2
DRAM4 3
DRAM4 4
DRAM4 5
Add Strip

As you can see with all these different options for all the different zones, that your options are virtually unlimited. Plus you can add other Asus Aura Sync compatible peripherals like mice, keyboards, water blocks, additional RGB strips, and even some monitors have lighting behind them that you can control with this software.

Here is the "Color Cycle" mode. There are no options here it just cycles through all of the colors.

"Rainbow" is the next mode. This is with "Color Cycle" selected. You can adjust the speed with the slider at the bottom. The slider only stops at five points between slow and fast.

"Rainbow" also has the "Gradient" option on the drop down menu. Here you can select all or part of the colors on the color wheel. I uses zero on the "Start Hue" and 359 on the "End Hue" box, it would not take 360. This will use all of the colors. Also there is an option to click the "Reverse" box to make it go around the color wheel the other way.

This is the "Comet" mode with a single color of red at medium speed.

The "Comet" in Gradient mode. This is the only video where I slid the speed slider all the way to fast, and using the full color spectrum again. I know the screen shot shows the speed is set to medium, but the video was shot at the fastest speed. The "By Area" is available here as well in the drop down menu.

"Flash and Dash" is the next mode. This is with a single color of red again. "Gradient" and "By Area" are in the drop down menu.

The "Flash and Dash", "Comet", and "Rainbow" modes include a "Sequence" button that allows you to adjust the sequence of the LEDs. I'm sure if you add more items that are controllable they will appear in this list. Here's what it looks like it you click on the "Sequence" button.

This is the "Wave" mode in red. "By Area" is available here too.

Here is the "Glowing Yoyo" mode in red and this has "By Area" adjustment as well.

"Starry-Night" mode is next, also adjustable with the "By Area" mode if desired.

"Strobing" mode is the last mode with "By Area" in the drop down menu. This is just the single red color again.

Under the "Smart" mode you can adjust the lighting to work off of temperature, going from green to yellow to red according to the temperatures you set.

The "Smart" mode also has a drop down list that allows you to also use "CPU Loading" and set the percentages of CPU load that you want to use.

Here's the "Music" mode. I did not spend much time with this mode. Nothing really happens if no music or sound is playing. You can choose from Rock, Hip Hop, Party, Sleep, Funk, Romance, Jazz or Normal, and the RGBs change with the music playing.

If you click on the "Shut Down" tab you can set a different lighting scheme for when your computer is turned off, including turning it off completely which is what I'll do.

I hope you enjoyed this Asus Aura Sync RGB software demo. As I've stated before I'm not a big RGB fan myself, but it was fun playing around with all these different options. I think there is something here for just about everyone. If you really don't like the lighting you can turn it off completely. I would have purchased this motherboard even if it had no RGB lighting, but since it does I'll be using it in some fashion.

Next I'll be taking the test bench apart and putting the motherboard tray back in the case so I can start on the all the power cables for the motherboard.

Edit:
I have found that the Aura software will lose it's saved settings after restarting the computer. After searching around I've found this is a common problem that is fixed if you go into the bios and turn off "Fast Boot" it will then use the last saved settings upon restart. I verified this did fix the problem. Another thing I'd like to see is a way to save different lighting profiles. Hopefully they will add that feature in a future update.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36