Any big drone users here? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any big drone users here?

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
EhmayWuntee

Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
I am looking to get into a prosumer drone this year, basically waiting to see if DJI releases any major improvements with a Phantom 5 that hopefully comes out Oct/Nov or if an updated Mavic has a real camera sensor on it, otherwise I will likely grab a Phantom 4 Pro at a minor discount.

I love the idea of the mavic with portability (especially if ever traveling), but I think the quality of the camera is more important and unless they basically provide the new P4P camera on an upcoming mavic revision I will have to pass on it.
I do not want buyers remorse in the sense of thinking "these photos look good, maybe even great, but certainly not outstanding."
I also want to just jump in and grab a top-tier quality drone and not waste money on a middle market one to then find myself buying the high end again later.

Just curious who out here already has experience with some high end drones for photography and video.
I would imagine a few of you have a P3P, P4, or P4P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
EhmayWuntee

Bumping this one time to see if it gets any interest.
I am surprised no one here has a high end drone already or at least they aren't talking about it, maybe it isn't the right type of forum to grab this interest...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
d[ o_0 ]b

Rep: 276 (Unique: 200)
ive played with a good bit of drones but personally dont own one. im happy with just about all the DJI ones over the past few generations. ive been happy with the live stream quality of the mavic. ive worked with the phantom a few times when i first got started working with other drone owners and its a fun starter drone with impressive abilities for the price and camera which i always just slapped gopros on it but even the one with its own camera stock was impressive. overall the mavic is the one i like all around although the inspire 2 is pretty wicked as well. i know some people that were happy with their gopro karma after recall and other issues but i have trouble wanting to use one because it feels unreliable from a bad launch. i dont have experience personally with the other brands. i have a friend that has a freefly and LOOOOVES it but i have not been able to check it out but also that is camera sold separate and i think can hold most DSLR's and small cine cameras

if i was going to buy myself a drone and stop using my friends id grab a mavic but the phantoms have also been reliable and a joy to use

Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon C100mkII, Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 100/2.8 macro, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
I had a P3S for awhile, it was fun but honestly more on the toy side, I'd stay way from the standard edition. I then upgraded to a P3P it was a big step up as far as range, you can take it out of sight with ease. As far as video quality wise it was ok, I wouldn't even say great let alone amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbahgs View Post

I do not want buyers remorse in the sense of thinking "these photos look good, maybe even great, but certainly not outstanding."
I also want to just jump in and grab a top-tier quality drone and not waste money on a middle market one to then find myself buying the high end again later.

I think you'll have to go with the Inspire series if you want that feeling, with one of the higher end camera options. The P5P might be interesting, but it's not out yet and there are just leaks, so it's tough to recommend waiting. It's not going to be better than the inspire, that's for sure.

Thus being said if I were to buy a drone right now it would be the new platinum edition mavic, the new quieter one with more run time. It's not the best image or video quality, but through using the phantom 3's and understanding how I wanted to engage with the hobby the compact size and quietness of the mavic outweighs the quality.

Also you need to edit your footage. I would shoot in a raw/dlog type format that looked pretty bad unedited, but once you go back and add in the colors it looks far better than trying to shoot in a finished video mode right from the drone.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
EhmayWuntee

As much as I think it would be awesome to own an Inspire 2, those would be even bigger and less portable not to mention a steep price increase so I have the draw the line short of that one I think. If I did anything major with video or commercial use I would reconsider or perhaps see what happens in 3-5 years.

I don't know much on what the P5 will bring, but I have a feeling the camera won't be touched much and will focus on more sensors, maybe a bit more portable, and try another 5+ minutes battery life. If they do the 5 series like the 4, then the P5P won't come out for a bit of time after the P5 and it may actually see a noticeable camera change or 2nd controls for the camera, etc. I guess they try and trickle down some of the Inspire features into the Phantoms.

The Mavic would be fun to try out I think, but I want the camera still over the portability. If I was one who traveled a lot or on the road all the time those priorities might switch, but that is not the case for me.

I will have to try out the various photo settings, I am no expert on post-processing, but can likely learn or figure it out. I agree you can do more though if actually shot in RAW though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:21 PM
d[ o_0 ]b

lately improvements have been more on the drone features than the cameras. i wouldnt expect major camera improvements unless someone just comes out with a completely legit game changer

YN-560II, YN-560III

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 440 (Unique: 335)
I have a P3P but outside of the occasional work usage I never touch the thing, photos and video are good enough quality for my needs. Especially after editing the RAW files.

IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN, R.I.P.
ASUS ROG Rampage IV Black Owners Club || PNW Overclockers Club
BMW TJ07 Build Log -- The Ultimate Cooling Machine
2 year anniversary In Remembrance of a Great - RIP Syrillian
Overkill FreeNAS
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
GPU
nVidia Titan XP (2100/5200)
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 1.2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM981 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
2x Swiftech D5 w/ EK Dual Pump Top
Cooling
XSPC EX480, EX360 & 2x Phobya 1080
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block
Cooling
EK Advanced 250mL Res
Cooling
Lamptron FC-5V2
Cooling
EK Rampage IV BE Water Block
Cooling
Copper Tubing w/ push fittings
Cooling
EK-FC Titan XP Copper/Acetal
Case
Silverstone TJ07, heavily modified
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus PG297Q
Keyboard
Leopold Otaku
Mouse
Corsair M65
Mouse
Corsair MM600
Audio
Sennheiser HD595 / HD428 / HD280
Audio
Corsair SP2500
CPU
E5-2670v1
CPU
E5-2670v1
Motherboard
Supermicro X9DRL-iF
Hard Drive
12x HGST 4TB CoolSpin
Hard Drive
6x WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
2x Noctua nh-u9dxi4
Cooling
3x Scythe AP-30
Case
Norco 4224
Operating System
FreeNAS
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM
d[ o_0 ]b

https://store.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x7-lens-excluded?from=menu_products

YN-560II, YN-560III

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
EhmayWuntee

Still haven't bought anything yet, but continuing to check around and also hope to see real info on a Phantom 5 release this month.

I did however recently pass the FAA sUAS remote pilot (commercial drone pilot) certification exam.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
DJI makes some nice drones of various sizes and prices. But as you've mentioned in a way, the quality of cameras depends on the model or what you slap on it, meaning you can have a nice inexpensive drone you can take anywhere or get a huge film making like setup that will cost you both kidneys and then some.

4k60 is a must IMHO, and the Spark and Mavic might not do that, DJI site sucks they don't even list basic specs. P4P seems to have 4k60 and a decent sensor but it's larger and so on. Even the Mavic isn't that small when you have it in your hands.
Spark is neat. The flight time of all is rather poor. 15-30min only.

DJI probably hard to beat when it comes to consumer drones right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in