Photo/video editing PC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Photo/video editing PC

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Photo/video editing PC

MODs, if this thread is in the wrong place please move it. Thanks,

My wife is into Photography, she has a 5D Mark IV with God only knows how much in lenses, flashes, and other crap. The one thing she doesn't have is a good PC for storage, editing and the like, which is where I come in. I would like to build my wife a killer PC for her Photography needs, but I'm not sure what a killer photography computer is. Ask me what a good gaming PC is and I got it but for this I'm a little lost.

So, what's required? Does she need high core count? Does she need the best graphics card, or multiples? I assume she needs loads of storage, but does she need all SSD and M.2 or is Sata Okay? Does it need to be water-cooled?

Thanks for any help.

I'll post a build log when I have an idea of what to build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 AM
What should be here ?

Rep: 355 (Unique: 255)
What does she do after getting those pics on the computer? Editing? Content Creation? Budget?

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by huzzug View Post
What does she do after getting those pics on the computer? Editing? Content Creation? Budget?
Pretty much, yeah.
We need to know what software is being used, what is being stored and how much...and how often...and the software used lol. All I really know is the camera.

I'm just going to assume there will never be any overclocking?

SATA is pretty much the same as using any other drive when it comes to gaming, moving files around and large writes are different. For something like this I'd want a minimum of 1TB AHCI or NVME M.2 and however much HDD storage as you need. If you're editing photos (especially large ones or big stacks) or video (especially 4k) you're going to want as much ram as you can get for a decent price. The CPU is also very important but without knowing budget and software I have a hard time recommending anything.

If this is literally just storage and browsing you can get away with a 6 core Ryzen chip, display card, 16gb ram and you'll still benefit from M.2 but I wouldn't buy a high end NVME drive for this. SSD of some kind for sure

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in