What kind of camera competes with smartphone? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

What kind of camera competes with smartphone?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Dang, some of those are kinda expensive... If I were to spend that much, I would like something to capture good video as well. I usually record my amazon unboxings just in case I have issue with something damaged or missing. But my problem is my phone has no storage and I don't have a good way to mount my phone and also cannot see what is in frame. Remote picture taking would be cool as well. I didn't realize I was getting replies here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
All of them, even the cheaper ones, are far better than smartphones and their god awful autofocus.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 05:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
My camera takes better pics than a smartphone. It wasn't expensive, either. 16 MP something.

Nothing beats Kodak 110 these days.

Oh! I got one! A Polaroid! LMAO!

For real, you think pictures printed these days will be around 50 years from now?

I have pictures from the 1800s.

That watery color ink will dissolve in 20 years and then you have no picture.

Meanwhile, the old pictures keep their quality. All the time people are paying for printer ink these days, wow; That's 1 helluva racket.

Last edited by Schmuckley; 01-24-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
A Polaroid with plenty of film.

Next is Vivitar 110.

70s color photographs were the heyday of pictures. Real images. The pictures last, too.

Those color printer prints do not last. They have like.. watercolor ink n stuff.

That 16 MP cam I got, it works good. It's a Fuji. Ofc you have to print the pics or display them somehow..

There are those new picture frame thingies.
post #15 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post
competing is somewhat vague. a lot of these new smartphones are insanely impressive with photography especially when viewed on small screens. the sensors dont compete with pixel density of DSLR sensors which is one of many factors that give an edge to a DSLR and its ability to have the potential of a better quality image. buying even an entry-level DSLR is not going to guarantee better photos over a smartphone because photography its not quite that simple as there is the technical aesthetic of the capturing of an image.

a DSLR or mirrorless camera is going to offer way more functionality than a smartphone can offer (BUT they can be annoying and bulky to carry around for family photos compared to a point and shoot that can easily drop in someones pocket or purse). as mojo said a nice point and shoot is very capable of competing with a smart phone camera. the bonus of a DSLR or mirrorless is extra accessories and lenses that complement the higher potential for a better image. if youre taking selfies, family photos on vacation, etc. then a point and shoot is totally good. if you are interested in testing the waters with photography as a hobby, then a camera that offers changeable lenses isnt a bad choice to start and grow from. ive seen amazing photographs taken by professional photographers with smart phones and ive seen blah photos taken by amateurs with expensive gear. photography is less about gear and more about understanding how the gear works and how it can work for you. bigger better gear than a smart phone is totally more fun but not required for a good image BUT a good image is subjective and depends on how you plan to share that image. a well taken photo from a DSLR has the potential to be printed better than a smart phone image but that doesnt mean you cant print and frame a smart phone picture.

long story short. i think a nice point and shoot for family photos will yield better results and be more enjoyable and easy to take photos with. im not sure what is the breaking point on your bank but heres two examples of a middle of the road priced point and shoot https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html
How are Panasonic cameras like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in