Where to get liquid helium and is it expensive? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Where to get liquid helium and is it expensive?

Closed Thread

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;13320029 
Yeah, I know it could be dangerous is not handled correctly. I was just throwing it out there.

Yeah. redface.gif It would still be cool.

What about Liquid Hydrogen? lol.

Liquid Hydrogen is extremely combustive - there is a reason it is used with Liquid Oxygen as fuel for the space shuttle; Liquid Hydrogen is the reactant and Liquid Oxygen the oxidiser (duh) producing Water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoReaper go_quote.gif
You're saying I can put a PCI-Ex1 sound card in a PCI-Ex16 slot? Where did I miss this?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 611 (Unique: 439)
A proper LHe dewar has two storage spaces. The outer space is generally filled with LN2 to act as a separation layer between the LHe and the outer walls of the dewar.

Also, liquid helium boils at arch quicker rate than LN2. For 15 pounds of dry ice, you need about 25 liters of LN2. You'd need much more than that for the same time period with LHe.

ITX Daily Driver
(11 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard
Maximus VII Impact
GPU
XFX RX 590 Fatboy
Hard Drive
Samsung 870 EVO Plus NVMe
Hard Drive
Seagate BarraCuda
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus GX-650
Case
White Bitfenix Prodigy
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional X64
Monitor
AOC CQ27G1 27"
Keyboard
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro
Mouse
Logitech G5 BF2142 Edition
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 196)
Look for a video of AMD's first 6.5GHz Phenom II. They were using LHe. I'd like to call attention to the fact they had a constant stream of LHe going into the pot in order to keep it cold as the LHe boils WAY too fast.

It sure is something fun to look into, but way impractical.

My Subzero Runs Thread
^^ Updated 11/04/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 95 (Unique: 80)
K, my suggestion IF you go through with this...

Build a site, like a bomb shelter, Outside though... in a large back yard, etc. Seal it perfectly, Provide yourself a sealed independent skuba gear effect air tank setup. So you can go into this sealed environment, and work on "said" substance, except it has to be massively air conditioned as well for maximum coldness. ie personal freezer... This is a plus for managing it for the pc overclock or any other experiment. Just be damn careful with the use...

Yes you could find out more about best containment materials, etc, but my suggestion, easiest way, is shipping/receiving of hospitals and/or universities, as they deal with various liquid materials on a daily/hourly basis, that someone there would know who to order from...

My advice, just don't...

But best of luck, and RIP if passing out occurs (my condolences in advance).

- Le_Loup

P.S. I want to be put into your will, for 2 penny's, as I want my 2 cents back...

What is life, is it a challenge day to day? Or is it toil and tears to which we play? To Work, To Eat,To Meet & Greet? What say you? - Le_Loup
I so Fast! Sound farts in reverse! - Le_Loup

Windows 7Fan Club

4.20!
proof.gif
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 213 (Unique: 128)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Loup;13321327 
K, my suggestion IF you go through with this...

Build a site, like a bomb shelter, Outside though... in a large back yard, etc. Seal it perfectly, Provide yourself a sealed independent skuba gear effect air tank setup. So you can go into this sealed environment, and work on "said" substance, except it has to be massively air conditioned as well for maximum coldness. ie personal freezer... This is a plus for managing it for the pc overclock or any other experiment. Just be damn careful with the use...

Yes you could find out more about best containment materials, etc, but my suggestion, easiest way, is shipping/receiving of hospitals and/or universities, as they deal with various liquid materials on a daily/hourly basis, that someone there would know who to order from...

My advice, just don't...

But best of luck, and RIP if passing out occurs (my condolences in advance).

- Le_Loup

P.S. I want to be put into your will, for 2 penny's, as I want my 2 cents back...

I would be much easier just to bench with it in an open garage or on a patio, covered area if it's raining. Bomb shelter would be a hell of a cool man cave though.
I asked about liquid helium when ordering an ln2 refill once, it is pretty expensive stuff, about 10x the price of nitrogen, didn't even ask about the dewar I would need after that.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobKay97;13320257 
Liquid Hydrogen is extremely combustive - there is a reason it is used with Liquid Oxygen as fuel for the space shuttle; Liquid Hydrogen is the reactant and Liquid Oxygen the oxidiser (duh) producing Water.

Hence the joke...

the_more_you_know.jpg
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 93)
You can't just pour this stuff like you do with LN2. You're going to need either a delivery system that can inject the helium directly into the cpu pot, as well as protective equipment, or you can use a helium cryostat (along with all the equipment that comes with using one, which is probably WAY out of your budget, but is a LOT safer than dealing with the stuff out in the environment.

We use a 4K cryostat in our lab for low temperature spectroscopy. It essentially requires a small Genie lift to hold it up, as well as a vacuum monitor, a temperature probe, the necessary compressors/refridgeration equipment, and a tank of compressed helium. It takes several hours to get down to temperature, but they can hold 10K or lower temperatures (you never really get to 4K) for extended periods of time. Also, the helium is recycled and can be used again since it operates in a closed loop. I'm not exactly sure how you can hook up a motherboard/cpu to the cryostat, though. There's probably other models that can do so, however i'm not too familiar with them.

Here's a wikipedia overview on cryostats.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2037 (Unique: 1171)
the place where i get my LN2 says they can get me liquid helium, but that its expensive. i think like 10$ a L or something. The problem are clod bugs, but on an AMD platform it might be different.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 62)
This is what LHe will get you when overclocking... You need to be on AMD though as the blue chips will cold bug much hotter than what LHe can bring them down to.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A[/ame]
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;13319845 
Why not some Liquid Oxygen?

I think liquid Dihydrogen Monoxide is a better bet.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in