DICE/LN2 Cooling - Where do i start? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

DICE/LN2 Cooling - Where do i start?

Closed Thread

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 55)
I am building an Intel rig pretty soon here and i was thinking of attempting DICE or LN2 on my AMD rig (the one in my sig)
My question is....

Where do i start?

All i know is that i have to insulate MoBo and get dielectric grease for PINs to prevent rust out.
I was reading around but i find it much easier for me to understand things when i actually am apart of the conversation instead of just reading through threads.

Some of my Questions/Concerns:
- how do i handle the LN2 (what precautions should i take)?
- which pot to start with?
- what is the best thing to use to insulate the MoBo?
- what is the best dielectric grease for pins?
- do i need special ventilation in the room (it's a small room)?
- what hardware generally fails at sub-zero temps?
- how can i keep this at a decently low budget? (i'm supporting two people redface.gif)

There are more questions i have but i just can't think of them now.
but my biggest one is:
WHERE do i start???

should i just go balls out, buy a pot, throw some LN2 in it and give it a go or what??

Goals
Learn!!!!
Short Term - Create a functioning sub-zero rig
Long Term - Reach some epic OCs and BM scores biggrin.gif

I'd like say thank you in advance for any information/recommendations/advice you guys can provide me.
i appreciate it
cheers.gif

Gaming (Click to show)
Xbox Live: Hazzeedayzz
Steam: Hazzeedayz
Origin: Smokadaweed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)

Here is a great thread to help start you out.  It walks you through practically everything that you need to know.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1087013/start-subzero-cooling-for-under-200/0_50

As for your questions:

1) If you want to use LN2, then you're going to need a dewar.  You can either buy one (expensive), or you can rent one when you buy the LN2.  You're also going to need some thermoses (stainless steel with a vacuum chamber is preferable).  Other than that, just don't spill on yourself.  Oh, and I would recommend not using gloves, because if you do spill on them it will hold the cold against your hand and freeze you badly.

2) If you plan on using LN2 any time in the future I would buy a LN2 pot right from the very begining.  I made the mistake of buying a dice pot at first, and now I regret that I didn't get a better pot from the start.  I would recommend an OCN Marksman pot, or a Kingpin F1.  For a cheaper alternative, look for a used Koolance V2 pot.

3) Everyone has different preferences on how they like to insulate.  My insulation goes Mobo --> Liquid Electrical Tape --> Art Eraser (to seal in the CPU --> Blue Shop Towels --> Neoprene Gasket.  I really don't like using dielectric grease or vaseline because it's extremely messy.  And just a tip, never use vaseline and art eraser together, it'll create a mess.

4) For ventilation you don't need anything special, just keep the door to the room open.

5) With AMD, everything is usually pretty good at all temperatures, but with intel you can expect to run into a cold bug.  The cold bug will vary greatly from cpu to cpu.  Also, you might notice that your ram slots freeze up on you and stop working during a long benching session.

6) To keep it at a low budget, buy a used CPU pot.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

wow man thanks for the info
currently im having an issue finding the LN2...i may have found some from a welding supply shop but i haven't gotten a response from them yet
do you have any recommendations as far as this is concerned?
i live right outside of philly (Media, PA)

i prolly wont be using my intel rig for the build
i've had the 965 for a long time now and figured i was due for an upgrade so why not LN2 to sucker and have some fun while i destroy it biggrin.gif

seriously though, thanks for the info...this helps a lot.

im a little disappointed though...looks like FrozenCPU and Koolance both stopped selling LN2 pots frown.gif

Gaming (Click to show)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 198)
There are a couple places where you can get pots. On the more expensive side (but very nice pots) are the Infection Point, k|ngp|n pots, Marksman. All are around $300

It looks like de8aur just started large scale production of his pots http://www.der8auer.de/

Dimastech sells a pot that looks like the older k|ngp|n Dragon Evo pots, so it might be good for DICE. It is cheap though compared to the others http://www.dimastech.com/EN/c/dimastech-eco-pot-v20/

Duniek also sells pots, but I'm not sure what his prices are. You can ask him though https://www.overclock.net/u/82598/duniek

Also look here for some other manufactures http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29726

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud go_quote.gif

Guys, this is OCN. Aka, the "pursuit of performance". wink.gif I see no reason why the OP should be bashed simply because he wants to push his hardware as hard as he can.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nuke_em View Post

There are a couple places where you can get pots. On the more expensive side (but very nice pots) are the Infection Point, k|ngp|n pots, Marksman. All are around $300
It looks like de8aur just started large scale production of his pots http://www.der8auer.de/
Dimastech sells a pot that looks like the older k|ngp|n Dragon Evo pots, so it might be good for DICE. It is cheap though compared to the others http://www.dimastech.com/EN/c/dimastech-eco-pot-v20/
Duniek also sells pots, but I'm not sure what his prices are. You can ask him though https://www.overclock.net/u/82598/duniek
Also look here for some other manufactures http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29726

thanks a lot man
those links are a huge help

i've decided to start with DICE and move up once i learn some more about what im doing
i'll definitely be taking Cat's advice and will grab a LN2 pot and just use DICE in it until i upgrade

Gaming (Click to show)

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post

thanks a lot man
those links are a huge help
i've decided to start with DICE and move up once i learn some more about what im doing
i'll definitely be taking Cat's advice and will grab a LN2 pot and just use DICE in it until i upgrade

If you're looking for a decent LN2 pot, there is a guy selling one in the marketplace right here: https://www.overclock.net/t/1238977/koolance-ln2-v2-liquid-nitrogen-pot-for-only-145-including-2-3-day-shipping-to-us48/0_50

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
335is

Rep: 769 (Unique: 312)
I have the same Koolance Pot that Hobie pointed out and it will be great for both DICE and LN2 especially for AMD cause it is fast at dropping temps.

I never use any Dialectic in the socket because I don't bench for longer then 6-8 hours Tops and humidity is not bad in Michigan.

Some eraser and paper towel can be all you need if done right.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
Like other said just look for a used pot . if you don't find one try Piotres to. If you don't have money for a Dewar just start with Dry Ice.
Buy some older hardware to get used to it and learn .

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 389 (Unique: 261)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzeedayz View Post

Definitely a good idea, can be difficult benching with the wrong pot for the job especially when managing cb/cbb's. The right pot will give you an edge on both dice and ln2 redface.gif https://www.overclock.net/t/1171484/ocn-marksman-v1-cpu-pot/80#post_16007112

In regards to learning, can you get yourself to the toronto event? I think we are going to try and do some ln2 lessons like we did at the Cambridge event if possible ( which as a learning experience was brilliant ). There really is no substitute for learning some of the ins and outs from experienced benchers there and then. Never seen so many people going from not knowing a thing about ln2 benching to benching cpu and gpu cold in a weekend. redface.gif

Twitter @el_gappo @Overclocknet

Redhat: "The datasheet is clear so its pretty hard to read without an overhead projector"
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 AM
335is

Rep: 769 (Unique: 312)
Good idea Gapp. I just checked his route and it would be about a 8-9 hour drive. Would be a lot of fun though wink.gif
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in