(New DICE'n trick) Save yourself some acetone and dry ice! Melt that stuff! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(New DICE'n trick) Save yourself some acetone and dry ice! Melt that stuff!

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
So I have been messing around playing with some dry ice and a pot for my POS Evga 610 GT. What I am doing to this poor card is torture. But anyways while I was sitting in my dungeon looking at my 5lbs slab of dry ice I saw some snow try stuff on it, probably from sitting out.

So I got my duster and blew it off, then I decided to air dust the CO2. Well the air from the air duster is much hotter than the CO2 so it started to melt; turning into liquid CO2 puddle ontop the dry ice slab.

So I thought, thats cool I can melt the dry ice to CO2. Well this got me thinking instead of using acetone/isypropal/ever clear to put in the pot for better cooling. Why not just melt the dry ice in the pot to liquid CO2 and just let that boil?

So I did. I aimed my duster down inside my pot (no acetone in it) and melted all the dry ice. Which proceeded to boil and instantly start forming front on the entire card. Which once dried destroyed it I am pretty sure. (after work I will see if she is still alive)

Point is. Put dry ice as much as possible in your pot. Blow some hot air over it until it all metls. Now you have liquid CO2 cooling!

Lemme know if this is stupid. I think it worked great. No more smelly and explosive acetone. Can cool the entire pot without the issue of acetone and without the issue of dry ice not cooling air around itself sufficiently to chill the pot (thus the need for acetone).

- I cannot wait for the day that humans tinkering with computers leads to concrete ideas in epistemology. - Me
What I am currently doing with my computer:
WWW.GOOGLE.COM
post-flame-small.gif_.=Overkill PSU Club=._ post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Got some sweet pics guise.

I couldn't get a good picture of inside the pot because of the angle.

What I do is put a small cube of dry ice in first and melt it with the duster (I can hear it boiling co2 when its done), then I add in a good amount of dry ice snow/power (scrap it off a chunk with a metal knife) and add that in with it, the powder melts with the co2 liquid becoming co2 liquid itself in the process going through its phase change to a liquid, then as a liquid it goes through another phase change to a gas. Regular dry ice methods only utilize the sublimation of dry ice. Though I figure in the acetone + dry ice method some liquid co2 is produced in the acetone solution (not sure if they would turn to a mixture or a solution) but it is negligible. But going through two phase changes I figure would require more energy from the GPU to help the co2 thru the process. I am not sure which requires more energy the sublimation or melting and boiling of co2. Seeing as frost forms almost instantly when the dry ice cube is melted I figure the later takes more energy.

Let me know what y'all think.

EDIT: I can go from nothing the the pot at 97C to putting the dry ice in as the steps mentioned and go to 45C in less than 30 seconds.

- I cannot wait for the day that humans tinkering with computers leads to concrete ideas in epistemology. - Me
WWW.GOOGLE.COM
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 51)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterSkeeter View Post

Lemme know if this is stupid. .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 46)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)

The problem with this is that Dry Ice doesnt become a liquid, it sublimates directly from a solid to a gas.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Get duster, get dry ice, put duster directly on dry ice, its creates a puddle of liquid co2. It works. Try it before you say it doesn't work.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I might have tacos tonite

Rep: 489 (Unique: 344)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterSkeeter View Post

Get duster, get dry ice, put duster directly on dry ice, its creates a puddle of liquid co2. It works. Try it before you say it doesn't work.

They are correct. Whatever that liquid is, it is not co2.
Quote:
At standard temperature and pressure, the density of carbon dioxide is around 1.98 kg/m3, about 1.5 times that of air.
Carbon dioxide has no liquid state at pressures below 5.1 standard atmospheres (520 kPa). At 1 atmosphere (near mean sea level pressure), the gas deposits directly to a solid at temperatures below −78.5 °C (−109.3 °F; 194.7 K) and the solid sublimes directly to a gas above −78.5 °C. In its solid state, carbon dioxide is commonly called dry ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
DICE doesn't melt though. If it's giving you a puddle it's not pure CO2, or did I miss something in chemistry? CO2 doesn't have a liquid phase so far as I know.

Desktop: i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Hybrid
Video: 2x LG 27UD69P-W
Audio: Schiit Jotunheim - Audeze LCD-X - Audeze iSine 20
Microsoft Surface Pro 4: i7 6650U - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD
SteamID: Halo_003
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 266 (Unique: 196)

My guess is that the air that is coming out of the duster is condensing and you are seeing a puddle of water.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 698 (Unique: 562)
What Hobiecat said is how it is..I'm guessing the liquid is water.I'm not gonna say it tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in