Best Chip/Motherboard to Begin LN2? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best Chip/Motherboard to Begin LN2?

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Rep: 350 (Unique: 189)
What he said...

As for the p45, yeah...stick to p45 for Celeron D and Cedar Mill Pentium 4's (p4 631, 531j and so on). X48 with ddr3 is nicer for E8500 and q9550 cpus.
You need Micron D9 ddr2 for best 2d scores on 775. Might come in handy for certain am2+ chips too.
DDR3 might be more useful though, if you find a good ddr3 x48 board and an E8500 you can also use the ram for AMD FX cpus and apus. Elpida Hyper, BBSE, Crucial (Micron D9QMT,D9PFJ) ---> Ballistix Tactical Elite 2gb sticks from early 2012, newer 1600mhz cl8 Lo profile 4gb sticks (double sided)...Check the ocn ram addict thread for serial no. info for Corsair and G.skill sticks, so you can figure out the memory chips inside every kit. Best ddr3 is in 2gb format normally, specially for 2d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 78 (Unique: 71)

The problem with going the 775 route is that all the good overclocking boards people are charging the same amount as a fairly decent AM3 board. And I'd rather play with AMD over Intel for the sole reason I can use an unlocked multiplier if need be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

A good practice is checking hwbot.org for results with each board and chip, and to see how many points the top scores give, as well as how tough the competition is. thumb.gif
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

That's a good idea, but honestly I'm just looking to get into the Sub-Zero cooling scene for right now. Obviously I'll submit to HWBot, but I want to know exactly what I'm doing before I compete.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebsterXC View Post

That's a good idea, but honestly I'm just looking to get into the Sub-Zero cooling scene for right now. Obviously I'll submit to HWBot, but I want to know exactly what I'm doing before I compete.

Then start by benching on air, the stuff you have, to feel your way through and learn how to tweak for best efficiency and scores.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
If you don't want to go the 775 route you could always invest in a nice AM3+ board and then start out by buying some lower end unlocked Phenom II for it.

The good thing about having an AM3+ platform even for a beginner is that there are so many chips that you can OC on that thing. Even the upcoming steamroller chips should work with current boards.

Just remember to insulate well and not to go crazy with all the voltages at first and your chances of breaking anything are very close to zero.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks for the awesome advice, that's sort of what I had in mind! I probably should go with AM3+ over AM3. Only reason I wanted to go with an 890fx chipset was because I hate UEFI BIOS. Call me crazy, but I navigate better on the old-fashioned blue and yellow screen.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 414 (Unique: 348)
Quote:

Thanks for the awesome advice, that's sort of what I had in mind! I probably should go with AM3+ over AM3. Only reason I wanted to go with an 890fx chipset was because I hate UEFI BIOS. Call me crazy, but I navigate better on the old-fashioned blue and yellow screen.
Not crazy.. Took me a while , but now I finally prefer UEFI. My EVGA Z77 FTW drove me nuts having to use just my keyboard again tongue.gif

Keeping the Overclock in OCN

♫The♪Official♪Car♪Stereo♪Club♫

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
Quote:

You could get something like Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 5 or 7 rev 1.x for example which uses GB's hybrid EFI BIOS, i went with the UD5 rev 1.1 becuase i couldnt get the UD7. on the UD3 and 5 rev 3 has the UEFI BIOS so if you dont like UEFI then look for rev1.x versions. i am notg sayin go out and buy Gigabyte just giving you some info smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in