Best Chip/Motherboard to Begin LN2? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best Chip/Motherboard to Begin LN2?

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 78 (Unique: 71)

I'm starting to move into the LN2/DICE scene and I'd really like some helpful info on which board and CPU combo would be best suited for a beginner on sub-zero cooling. I have a decent amount of overclocking experience in general, but super high frequencies and extreme cooling are new to me. I was thinking about going the AMD route; the unlocked multiplier would definately be an easy, and relatively inexpensive way to start. That was simply a thought though, and I'd like you guys' opinion? Any chips or chipsets to stay away from?

Two other questions:

--How important is my choice of RAM in extreme overclocking. Will basic sticks of something like Corsair XMS3 work, or should I invest in higher clocking, high quality RAM like Kingston HyperX or Corsair Dominator Platinum?

--How big is too big for the power supply? My only spare power supply currently is an Enermax Platimax 850W. Is that too little to be starting out on or will 850W suffice for extreme voltages? I'll only be overclocking the CPU; graphics card is almost insignificant in power draw (Quadro FX3700). 

Thanks in advance. I'm continuing my research so I don't screw things up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Retired Staff

Location: [email protected] Section - Man Cave - North Carolina
Rep: 120 (Unique: 92)
If you are doing this to see how high of a clock speed you are getting, for Intel I would recommend an i7 3770K and a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7. That combination has brought home clocks of above 7GHz IIRC. If you want to do it for AMD, just for clocks as well, I would recommend the A10-5800K and the ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 as per CPUID News. As for RAM, the higher the clock, the better, go for the Dominators or some G.Skill Trident X's.

Still In Beta Folding Team Captain
post-flame-small.gifProudly Folding For Still In Betapost-flame-small.gifHFM Live Stats

Steam: ctxdemon | Origin: DerickM
Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUnknown go_quote.gif

I romanced Liara in ME 1.
I last minute romanced Garrus in ME 2.
Then in ME 3 I told Liara we were still together right after telling Garrus the same thing. Progressed on with Liara then (unintentionally) had a shower with Traynor and (intentionally) led on Allers.

So am I a bad person or is my female Shepard just easy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops go_quote.gif

They didn't get kinky no matter what I did. Disappointment.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

The Intel route you've suggested is too expensive for me right now. I'd like to start small; I understand it's definately going to take some cash in hardware, but I'd like to become more familiar with DICE/LN2 before I drop that kind of money on hardware I'm potentially going to fry.

Curious on your AMD recommendation as well: I assumed that an APU would be more unstable at higher clocks than a CPU? Would an older Phenom or newer FX series be better than an APU?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Retired Staff

I don't cool this way myself, I still air cool, hopefully water soon enough, but I built a client a rig just for this purpose. He told me "give me the best overclocking computer I can get, but it has to be AMD". The AMD part has a reason unknown to me. I used the A10-5800K and the ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 based on that article that I linked, and he has gotten clocks upwards of 7GHz, unfortunately I do not have his validations for that to give you proof of that statement. I tested the rig on DICE before I actually gave it to him, and had it at 5.9GHz, perfectly stable, and he has come back to me for his son's gaming rig, and a light work computer for his wife, all based on APUs. I will probably be building his son a new rig in the next two years as he is only 12 now, and still playing low requirement games. APUs overclock at some of the highest clocks I have seen, and I myself was quite surprised by it as well. It is a decently cheap combination as well, only ~$250, not including RAM. If you do choose to go with an APU, get RAM 1866MHz and up, they truly benefit from it. As for your questions on Phenom and FX CPUs, I have not seen LN2 or DICE on them. If you want to go really cheap, I have heard that the AM3 Sempron chips overclock extremely well, even on air, again no validation, but I will link the page to you in a PM, as it is on another forum site.

post-flame-small.gifProudly Folding For Still In Betapost-flame-small.gifHFM Live Stats

Quote:

Then in ME 3 I told Liara we were still together right after telling Garrus the same thing. Progressed on with Liara then (unintentionally) had a shower with Traynor and (intentionally) led on Allers.

Quote:

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I appreciate your help.

Could someone address my power supply issue too? That's a burning question in my head. If the 850W isn't enough, I've got a friend that can sell me a Lepa G1600 for a decent price (granted I sell the Enermax).

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 17)
Assuming you are only running your CPU that will be more than enough.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Retired Staff

Sorry, never saw the PSU part for some reason, 850W should be sufficient, probably even more than needed. I gave my client a 750W PSU because he was nervous about the same thing, and he has been fine so far while overclocking CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Quote:

Quote:

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Rep: 350 (Unique: 189)
850w for cpu only will be fine...you can later invest in a better psu for 3d benching with one or two gpus pushed to the limit. (not familiar with your enermax unit though...but it would probably do fine)

You can get a p45 board and Celeron D's for max frequency, but remember you also need NB cooling as well as good ddr2 ram.
If not the apu is a nice benching platform, for 2d and 3d on cold, using the igpu and really fast ram. I suggest a 2400mhz cl9 Trident X kit paired with the Asrock board and a kingpin cooling F1EE pot or the ocn marksman one. You can also grab an am3+ board, a Sempron 145, an FX8120 and the same Trident X ram for max ddr3 valids and cpu-z validation, though you lose the 3d stuff. (you'll need a 3770k or 3930k for 3d scores on cold and that would be pricier).
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Hmm...Celeron D sounds like a good idea I never thought of that. What do you mean by good RAM? I'll do some more research on these as well. Any suggestions for a good P45 board?

As for not-CPU cooling, I've got VRM blocks, as well as NB blocks hooked up to a GTX280 radiator.

EDIT: How about the Pentium D series? Do they overclock well?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebsterXC View Post

Hmm...Celeron D sounds like a good idea I never thought of that. What do you mean by good RAM? I'll do some more research on these as well. Any suggestions for a good P45 board?

As for not-CPU cooling, I've got VRM blocks, as well as NB blocks hooked up to a GTX280 radiator.

EDIT: How about the Pentium D series? Do they overclock well?
any 775 netburst chips are great to overclock from what i have been told and get good points on HWBot. as too 775 boards these four i asked about pricing in this THREAD are top tier 775 boards for extreme overclocking. that is if you can find them at reasonable prices, i want to get a Rampage extreme x48 smile.gif

BTW i am starting with AMD with a GB 990FXA-UD5 and some FX cpu's, 775's once i can find one of the above boards and gut my sig rig for ivy bridge. I am also starting with DICE until i find like a 35L Dewar to store Ln2 which to get one that holds well costs $500 odd bucks for a decent used one and big $$$$$ for a new one. if you get into 3D you would be better with a 60+ L.
Onething to note is thermal paste, Gelid GC Extreme is the best for handling full pots of Ln2 without freezing at -196*C
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GELID-GC-EXTREME-10g-Big-Thermal-Paste-Compound-Grease-CPU-GPU-Chipset-Heatsink-/150854612713?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item231fa2b6e9
Threads i have started in which i have got some good infomation
https://www.overclock.net/t/1354084/finally-received-my-venom-pics-on-op (pot recomendations, insulation application and materials, digital thermometers etc)
https://www.overclock.net/t/1377045/solved-what-ram-speed-is-recomended-for-high-overclocks-on-amd
https://www.overclock.net/t/1354083/recomend-a-psu-for-benching-ln2

plus ask Q's in the stickies and make threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in