Protecting a GPU from condensation - Plasti Dip trial - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Protecting a GPU from condensation - Plasti Dip trial

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
On the one hand, I want to keep condensation from killing my GPU. On the other hand, I want the GPU to look great when the time comes to sell it, so that potential buyers won't be put off by any gunk left over from insulating/covering it.

I'm leaning toward trying Performix Plasti Dip rubber spray

Anyone have experience using it to coat a GPU? Does it peel all the way off without leaving a residue?
Any risks to using it?

If not that, what are better options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
not sure about that performex. am interested to know tho
also a few good coats of LETLiquid Electrical Tape should peel off quite easy.Dragon Skin is another one to consider

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I use Dragon Skin for the MB. But don't have any spare and it's too expensive just for the GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 17)
LET peels off easily if you get it thick enough.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Decided to test how Plasti Dip might work. I had an analog TV signal card that I don't use, so I used it as the guinea pig.
I sprayed it with 3 coats of Plasti Dip (30 minutes between sprays), then checked it out 10 hours later.

BEFORE

AFTER COATING

AFTER REMOVAL

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It peeled off, but I wouldn't say it was an exactly easy operation of removal. The coating adhered very tightly to the card, so a lot of force had to be applied to peel it off. Not a problem for removing from surfaces that are smooth with no delicate attachments, but I'm not sure whether the amount of force needed to remove it wouldn't carry a risk of ripping some of the more loosely attached components off of a PCB. Another challenge was that the coating adhered more tightly to the card than to itself, so at times it would break or split rather than come off in a single sheet in one smooth action. That made it particularly difficult to get the coating off from the tops of some of the small raised component parts and from some of the narrow crevices between parts. You can still see areas where I was not able to get all of it off in some of the crevices and on the tops of some of the parts.

With further experience it might be doable. Maybe I should have covered some of the areas that would be problematic for the removal with painter's tape or eraser or a little Vaseline before spraying the Plasti Dip on.

It's certainly a pretty cheap option. Less than $5 before tax for an 11oz bottle. (I probably used less than 1/6 of what's in the bottle for this test.)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 17)
You could always throw a light coat of Vaseline on those components. I doubt it would stick to Vaseline. Vaseline is just really messy in large amounts

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 48)
I find LET or just vaseline a good option when benching GPUs. Vaseline can be a bit messy during mounting of pot but works great as insulator from condensation. 2 thin layers of LET also does wonder for me. I like it stretchy but also need to be thick enough.

Infact I got one of those cans you used, but havent tested my self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterclock go_quote.gif

what results? My rig appears to be producing results. Right now it's letting me type stuff. It does other stuff too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I am thinking about testing out a coating of eraser that is then sprayed down with the Plasti Dip. (I already have eraser from my last GPU that I was planning to use on the GPU anyway.)

That would give an excellent seal from the Plasti Dip, yet should be mostly easy to remove since the eraser doesn't adhere permanently to the components.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I made a test with LET for comparison to Plasti Dip.

I applied the LET in a very thick coat. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours, I applied a second very thick coat. I took a photo of the coat in place about 9 hours after the second coat had been applied. I could still smell the aroma somewhat, but the LET was solid and firm. I removed it and took another photo.

Before the application, I applied a thin layer of Vaseline to the gold-colored component that is toward the top in the photo and a layer of painter's tape to the gold-colored component that is toward the bottom in the photo. There were paper labels with the name "Samsung" affixed to the tops of both of the components (you can see them in the pics above), which I covered with the LET (the layer of Vaseline or the painter's tape in between).
The photos here are BEFORE application and AFTER removal of LET.

The LET was as tightly adherent to the card as the Plasti Dip had been, if not moreso. It took a lot of force to pull it off. The difference, however, was that it pretty much came off in a single layer, with just a few spots needing a little more work, whereas the Plasti Dip kept pulling apart from itself and breaking into pieces. The LET even adhered tightly to some of the the residual Plasti Dip that I hadn't been able to peel out of the crevices before, and almost all of it came up with the LET. It may be that if I had applied thicker layers or several more layers of Plasti Dip during the Plasti Dip test, that problem of the Plasti Dip breaking into pieces could have been avoided (the LET coating ended up being a lot thicker than the Plasti Dip coating had been).

The LET peeeled off both of the gold-colored compents very easily, but even more easily on the painter's tape side than on the Vaseline side. I couldn't see any Vaseline residue once the LET had come off. However, the paper label got peeld off on the Vaseline side along with the LET, but it stayed put underneath the painter's tape. A key observation, since keeping those labels intact might be important for warranty service or resale value.

Based on this I will be treating my next GPU with LET, covering the areas I don't want to have a problem getting it off later, such as on the "warranty void if removed" labels, with painter's tape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in