Will this work for DICE POT insulation? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Will this work for DICE POT insulation?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
Does this insulation look like it'll work for a dice pot? I got this for free today, its some fiberglass pipe insulation stuff. I wrapped it really tightly so I don't think ANY condensation will form under it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 389 (Unique: 261)

Looks good to me

Twitter @el_gappo @Overclocknet

Redhat: "The datasheet is clear so its pretty hard to read without an overhead projector"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Not so good.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 62)
Should be more than enough as long as you also protect the surrounding areas of the motherboard... I have run my pot with much less than that and not had problems at all... And then; I've had runs where I spent hours insulating the pot, board, PCIe slots, RAM slots and everything else I could think of only to find myself with a dead motherboard in less than ten minutes.
Insulation on the pot is not so much to prevent the condensation from happening, but to keep it to a level where you can control it with paper towels and whatnot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gappo View Post

Looks good to me

Good to hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Not so good.

I'm not sure air can get to the pot though. This pot weighs probably 3LBS or so and this fiberglass insulation is wrapped so tightly that I can pick up the pot just by the insulation and it won't fall out, I have also tried to slide the insulation off myself and found it was very difficult. Its on there pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post

Should be more than enough as long as you also protect the surrounding areas of the motherboard... I have run my pot with much less than that and not had problems at all... And then; I've had runs where I spent hours insulating the pot, board, PCIe slots, RAM slots and everything else I could think of only to find myself with a dead motherboard in less than ten minutes.
Insulation on the pot is not so much to prevent the condensation from happening, but to keep it to a level where you can control it with paper towels and whatnot.

Yeah I'm thinking of just eraser or maybe eraser and LET for the board.

I really hope I don't end up like you, I'll cry if my GIG Z77X UP7 dies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in