Insulation Question regarding the underside of a mobo as well as the pot - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Insulation Question regarding the underside of a mobo as well as the pot

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
My x48 REX finally arrived and i am pretty clued up on insulating the the top side of the board.

My First question is how to insulate the underside??

I have eraser only so no LET i can find here. I also have the the normal house hold stuff like paper towels. have a big sheet of neoprene as well.

Also i have this stuff called 261 LANKO PowerSeal since i couldn't find amaflex so i am wondering if it is a good alternative.
http://www.parexgroup.co.th/catalog/product/261-lanko-powerseal
The link might open in Thai but you can click on the International button at the top.

Also this LANKO stuff is pretty thin so i was thinking of wrapping a layer around the pot to seal the bottom to the top, then encase the pot with the tubing that came with it then paper towels or what not, does this sound OK??

Note: I have access to DICE only atm and also i am not concerned about any residue left. So if Vaseline should be used anywhere, please do tell.

cheers smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 17)
Last time I did a mobo I used a thin layer of eraser over like the top half then a used my usual 1/2" closed cell foam with a paper towel in between it and the backplate. If you have vaseline and don't mind it being a little messy that is probably the easiest thing. I use a paintbrush and brush a thin layer on then heat it with a heatgun so it spreads. For pots that aren't solid I was told to just take something like painters tape and put it between the two then cut off anything inside the pot so it essentially made a thin gasket to hold anything in. But you really shouldn't have to worry about it leaking. Maybe test it before you mount it on the MOBO

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Cheers CAxVIPER i think i will use eraser and the method you mentioned on the back of the mobo. I know about painters tape but man it is another one of those things i just cant find in the vicinity of my home or even at 2 major home improvement shops, no one seems to understand what i want. So that why i thought this LANKO stuff might do the trick. sorry for the late reply and a +1 you already smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
Hello
The back of mobo i do it with nail polish , a layer of paper towel , a piece of armaflex and the backplate

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by micul View Post

Hello
The back of mobo i do it with nail polish , a layer of paper towel , a piece of armaflex and the backplate

wow, nail polish! first i have heard of that smile.gif

actually that reminds me, is nail polish remover that is acetone based good enough to use in the mix?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

actually that reminds me, is nail polish remover that is acetone based good enough to use in the mix?
Foe Dice i am using 95% acetone
The nail polish remover has a lower acetone concentration

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by micul View Post

Quote:

Foe Dice i am using 95% acetone
The nail polish remover has a lower acetone concentration

i see, well is there like a minimum acetone % recommendation? is a higher concentration better?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 17)
Quote:

i see, well is there like a minimum acetone % recommendation? is a higher concentration better?

Yes the higher the better. Anything else may freeze, I found just pure acetone nail polish remover at target and pure acetone at homedepot in the paint section

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAxVIPER View Post

Quote:

Yes the higher the better. Anything else may freeze, I found just pure acetone nail polish remover at target and pure acetone at homedepot in the paint section

ahhh cool just wanted to be sure, i will get pure as well. i am going to start prepping the board after i wake up and get that out of the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in