Recommendations for crafting custom CPU pot? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommendations for crafting custom CPU pot?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
I am very interested in getting into LN2 and/or Dice, and i happen to have the tools necessary to put CPU pots together, using either steel or copper.

I was wondering, would it be a good idea to make an LN2 or Dice pot out of steel? Or is it much preferable to make it out of copper- i know copper has better heat transfer capabilities, but it is also a LOT harder to efficiently solder together copper than it is to weld steel metal together. (for me at least, other people may find it easy to solder but I find that i am much better at welding, for whatever reason)

So basically, is steel an acceptable materiel for a CPU pot?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for how large to make the amount of metal between the CPU and the LN2/DIce? I.E. how much metal would make the pot be a fast pot, vs a slow pot.

I was thinking about taking some steel pipe, good 1.5" ID and ..25" thick pipe, and welding a hunk of steel to the bottom, being around 1" to 4" (depends on what kind of thermal properties steel has) and then i have a pot. May find a larger pipe, or something but that is the basic idea.

Could maybe do a square design, if I can't find any pipes with large enough inner diameters. 1.5" is semi-ok, but 2.5" - 4" would be preferable.

May just do it in copper though, with a similar design but soldering rather than welding.

Thanks for any input!

(and heres what kind of pipe i was thinking of using, not exactly what i want but is fairly close: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-1-2-in-x-10-ft-Black-Steel-Sch-40-Pipe-GS11-210BTBE/202310232 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM
External VRM FTW

It depends on what you will be doing when frozen. If your just going for cpuz runs tuen any simple pot will work. My ghetto $25 pot performs the same as a 3.5lb copper pot for cpuz runs. If you plan on doing 3d benching or really any CPU benching then you should go with copper as it will be needed to maintain temps.

24/7 BENCH
(9 items)
CPU
[LGA115x] 8700k, 7700K, 7350k, G3258
CPU
[LGA2066] 7940X, 7740X
Motherboard
[OCF FTW] X299 OCF, Z170M OCF, Z97 OCF
GPU
E-Power, G-Power, H-Power, A-Power
RAM
B-DIE, HYKO, PSC, MFR
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W
Cooling
Kingpin Cooling: Venom & T-REX
Cooling
2x360 RAD Custom Loop
Case
Dimastech Easy V3.0
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
If you are more comfortable with welding copper can be tig welded with the right techniques have a look through youtube

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in