Getting ready for first DICE/LN2.. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Getting ready for first DICE/LN2..

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I have a delidded 6700k that I will do eventually but I'm getting a cheap setup first to get the feel of it. First of all, will the ASUS M5A99X EVO work well enough to help me get the feel of it? I plan on using FX-8320. If not what combo of CPU/Mobo would be best for a first timer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 58)
Since you'll end up doing Intel on LN2, I'd pick an old but nice for testing & learning how to do LN2 OC CPU, like the 2500K or the 2600K.
They have coldbug, so you'll get to learn how to control the temperature during benchmark runs, and it's also a very tweakable platform, so you'll get to learn and get accustomed to all the voltages, clock skews, and the idiosyncrasies of the Intel Core iX platform under LN2.
Plus, it's a very potent CPU, and you'll be able to have fun in both 2D & 3D benchmarks.

If you plan on doing it occasionally you should read and find out about the ideal operating system & tweaks for each benchmark if you want to have comparable scores.
Especially with SuperPi, PiFast, wPrime, 3D Mark2001SE, 3D Mark03 and Aquamark3, bad software tweaking and choices will severely harm your scores and will leave you thinking "why is this guy with lower clocks 3000 points ahead of me ?".
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thank you for your advise. Makes total sense. Only reason I was going to do AMD was because it's cheaper. Is there a cheaper alternative to the 2500k? If not, what mobo do you recommend? Trying to keep it cheap as possible in case I ruin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 58)
You could always opt for an even older, yet very interesting setup. For example a Core 2 Duo E8600 + Asus Rampage Extreme ( X48 ).
8600s should go for as low as $15 on ebay nowadays.

Don't know how easy it will be however to locate and grab a good mobo for it for LN2.

In order of preference you should go to:

Asus Rampage Extreme > Asus P5E64 WS Evolution > Gigabyte GA-EX48DQ6T = Asus P5K3 Deluxe

Very fun setup!

If you'll go VGA LN2 as well, dig a GeForce GTX 280 biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in