I need help with LN2 overclocking :) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I need help with LN2 overclocking :)

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello Everyone,

I have recently taken up LN2 overclocking as my science project this year and I have seem to come to a bump in the road. I know everything thats needed for preparation but Im struggling to find safe bios settings. I will be using the 8700k and I want to at least hit somewhere past 6GHZ. I have yet decided what mobo I will be using (Any suggestions would be great, I have a few in mind) but if anyone has any idea on safe bios settings I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
I've done phase change, but not dice nor LN2 and.............

Since the maximum power most any motherboard will supply to a CPU can be handled by extreme watercooling I would assume the a motherboard has to be modified to supply more voltage than that.

Have a look at the Hwbot records to see what motherboards and voltages are being used.

Ask you question on ExtremeSystems in the Dry Ice and Liquid Nitrogen section

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:43 AM
EPOWAH!

Rep: 33 (Unique: 16)
For starters, Welcome to the wonderful world of Sub-Zero OC @Walkerj12

What are your goals? Do you want to run benchsmarks?
Maybe it would be cool to do 3 stages of PC hardware.
For example, you pick a few benchmarks, like GeekBench 3 and CineBench R15

And run them at stock, documenting the voltages/MHz temperatures and scores.
Do a "normal" overclock, with ambient cooling, air or water. Document again,
And Freeze it! Again the same! That way you can can calculate the scaling of core clock and benchmark score with voltages/and temperatures.

First, and maybe not so relevant question, do you have a CPU container?

Now platform wise; currently the only "real" viable XOC retail board for 8700k is the Maximus X Apex.

Also, for serious overclocking, especially with LN2 it is required to delid the CPU. There are a few special rules applying to delidding and mounting an IHS(intergrated heatspreader) and CPU for LN2 overclocking. But I will leave that open for now. Sadly liquid metal does not work under extreme conditions. We use conventional pastes. With a twist, specific for subzero.

Good pastes for LN2 are; Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut / KINPIN Cooling KPx > Gelid cooling Extreme.

Gelid is the cheapest. Isn't as good as the other 2 but should work fine in your case.

Nothing else is viable, period. Don't try, it has been done for before you. It will save you lots of hours and headaches. And prevent you from wasting lots of liters LN2 thumb.gif

Generally, the LN2 base profile that's stored on there is a OK starting point. It also comes with an RSVD switch, which is a physical dip switch that automatically sets certain voltages on post to help eliminate the CB and CBB (Cold-bug and cold boot bug, coldbug = system lockup at a certain temperature, for example -120, coldbootbug is when your system temp is too low to boot, in that case you need to warm up to X temperature, this varies per platform and even CPU!)

Most XOC guys set a certain baseline OC in bios, with rather conservative vcore, let's say 5.5Ghz and 1.5v. (This while you are already at -100 to -120)
Then boot, pull down to full pot,(-190~)run a benchmark at this 5.5/1.5v baseline, with realtemp open to check for a paste crack. If you don't see positive temps, you're good to go.

(Remember, you can always clock higher with LN2 on the same voltages compared to air, due to how semiconductors work, "shrinking" due to cold, lessening the leakage, = higher frequency at the same voltage.)

I'd suggest, before you go all in on the platform. Learn it's quirks on ambient cooling. Prepare, setup your bench OS, and test it before you use LN2.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!

You can also head over to our Hwbot team section, there's lots of info about LN2 OC too!

~wiLLius

OCN HWbot team

https://twitch.tv/williustv
Streaming LN2 Overclocking and more!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in