Why not use regular ice instead of dry ice? - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why not use regular ice instead of dry ice?

post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 146 (Unique: 124)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink View Post

THIRD edit: To elaborate, in a previous post, I established that about -21°C was the freezing point of a saturated salt water solution. However, I have neither verified nor disproven that the ACTUAL SALT WATER becomes COLDER than the ACTUAL ICE. However, the freshwater with ICE in it may not give as cold a temp reading as the saltwater with ice melting, but that is because the temperature of the saltwater would be lower, only because the salt enables it to be that cold without freezing. For an accurate test, the temp probe would need to be driven into solid ice of the same temp as the ice in the saltwater.
Well, I slept through chem everday so take this however you want, but on Mythbusters they proved that if you want your beer cold, a solution of salt, water and ice is the best method. I don't know if that applies to CPU cooling in anyway so if its irrelavent BS just ignore me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainok go_quote.gif
That's not a poop flap. That's a sex flap. Hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puscifer View Post
well, i slept through chem everday so take this however you want, but on mythbusters they proved that if you want your beer cold, a solution of salt, water and ice is the best method. I don't know if that applies to cpu cooling in anyway so if its irrelavent bs just ignore me
SAME CONCEPT. Salt water can be lower than 0*f without freezing, and has a higher thermal transfer rate than solid ice, so the beer gets cold faster.

/thread

Love big, sig small. Please do your part by keeping your signature compact. wink.gif
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 191)
[Completely useless post]

Why not just put the whole computer in a mini-fridge?

[/If anyone takes this serious their idiots]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira-k go_quote.gif
When you tell a hot date you have to get her home by 10pm because you have to OC before all you DICE sublimates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Why not just put the whole computer in a mini fridge?

(If anyone takes this seriously, he or she is an idiot.)
or also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

Why not just put the whole computer in a mini fridge?

(If people take this seriously, they're idiots.)
Fixed!

Some people have attempted to use refrigerators for various methods of PC cooling. In general, the fridge over-wears and the compressor motor burns out (or something like that.)

Love big, sig small. Please do your part by keeping your signature compact. wink.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in