What is windows 10 really like ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is windows 10 really like ?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
What is windows 10 really like ?

I'm building an i5/7-8000/9000 system for internet and gaming. I guess this means I better go to win10 if I want it to run with all the latest 'whatever' features

How bad is win10 ? I like win7 a lot more than win8. I only want the minimum of win10, except whatever games need.

I just did a re-install of win7 (SSD problems), and installed 3 steam/origin games on a SSD (not c:\). Can their installations be updated/used by win10 ?

How do I disable as much microsoft spying as possible (without just disconnecting from the net) ?

where/how do I get win10 ? I have win7/8 install disc's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
10 pro is about the only version worth looking at
It has the most control outside of enterprise or what ever it is being a subscription base for companies or schools use.

7 games fine not many direct x10 games still and even it is is they have backwards compatibility too so you'd never tell besides xBox app is I believe the dx10 user and not even many there but I wouldn't know I don't use xbox app or even a MS user account.
I primarily use 7 for it's stability which 10 can bork it's self at any time via 10's update system.

You can get 10 just about anywhere just look for retail not oem.
Keep your 7 you'll need it eventually

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
512gb & 1tb XPG-SX8200 Pro's os and new game m.2's Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5960x with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
512gb XPG-SX8200 Pro M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
In terms of stability, performance and security, windows 10 is miles ahead of Windows 7. Don't be afraid of what the idiots on the internet say bad things about windows 10. The only time windows 10 has ever crashed on me was when my system hardware was unstable. Other than that, windows 10 has had zero issues. I've had more issues with windows 7 not running things right. And i've had some weird random blue screens on windows 8.1.

In my opinion, as i've been on windows 10 from day 1, it's a much better overall experience than windows 7. Plus apps and developers will not be supporting windows 7 for much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Loosing Vision

Rep: 66 (Unique: 65)
For me I was happy with Win XP and then Win 7 was fine. I found that going to Win 10 I had to rid most my previous programs as many were not supported at all without going to the latest version. So many programs I enjoyed just didn't function right or caused issues, or no longer functioned.

Saying that I was excited to get to Win 10 but my upgrade was hampered but the fact I had a Vendor Version of Win 7 so the upgrade would not work right away, and despite 2 weeks of calling MS for a new Key that would upgrade me I got told Sorry, but we are working on a fix for your version of win7 and they cannot give a new key at this time.

So long story I finally grabbed my sons OEM version of Win 7 and used it with my Win 7 COA and then upgraded to Win 10 perfectly without having to wait for the little brown people that can only say SORRY, SoRRy sorry at MS.. (hey MS Tech Support BLOW ME!)

but win 10 is nice but you have to learn new things and when updates are forced or mandatory they tend to reinstate anything you tried to block per say telemetry etc, so you would need to monitor that if this is a concern.

My gaming for the most part is great even for some old games that you may have to load differently as in using Win XP or Win 7 in the properties.

I wanted the DX12 for games but it is not really that great unless the game is already designed for it from the ground.. WoW I don't play but I think htey finally went to DX12 support.

Outside of having to get certain progs that are all new rather then the program being able to just update to Win 10 I can live with it. I do like Win 10 Explorer as it is faster and easier for my to use Quick Access and Configure it how I want. I have music on a different drive so instead of making a desktop shortcut I can just add that to Music in Quick Access and click and my Directory is up.

Just don't short yourself on the build.. Get at least a GTX 1060 6gb or better or Equiv in Radeon

Cheers!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Wait a minute, I never even thought about the old games I play too often like Star Wars:Empire At War

Reminds me of trying to get winXP games to run after switching to win7 era. Sometimes it's a big hassle, or just won't work.

Yeah, I better get some new games soon, why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in