Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you. - Page 172 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you.

post #1711 of 1718 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)

Just went cold turkey with 13.10 Ubuntu. So far its all smooth sailing and I love the speed :thumb:

5 GHz Overclock Club   

Quotes: (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

The persistance of a human may never win against the persistance of time, but the fruits of the labors are wonderous to behold, even in our brevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briddell go_quote.gif

He's probably running Cross-Asus SLEyefinity with that i5 3770k overclocked to 17gigglehertz.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1718 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
This is great idea, I'll admit, this is kind of how i converted myself, although it was only a personal challenge that was forced on me when windows broke one day, so I pulled out a Ubuntu live USB id created a sometime before that to TRY, but I didnt give it a chance, so it would up in the draw of junk, and thankfully I still had it, I only intended on Booting, in, downloading a windows ISO, and then going back to windows, however an unplanned ISP outtage during said task forced me into actually using it for a few days, and after a few days, I re-formatted, Installed windows, then Ubuntu as dual boot, and have been using Ubuntu as my main OS ever since, about 2010 I think it was. I want to try arch, but I want to wait untill I have enough for another SSD to put it on, just so I can try it under the conditions I would be using it, instead of installing it on a partition on one of my slow mech drives, and then not being happy with the performance of it.
post #1713 of 1718 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Retired Staff

Location: [email protected] Section - Man Cave - North Carolina
Rep: 120 (Unique: 92)
I plan on giving this a try tomorrow, I read the whole article and will be using Linux for my everyday tasks I hope. The original and main reason I am doing this is not because I really want to like Linux (although I would like to) but it is for better performance while folding.

Still In Beta Folding Team Captain
post-flame-small.gifProudly Folding For Still In Betapost-flame-small.gifHFM Live Stats

Steam: ctxdemon | Origin: DerickM
Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUnknown go_quote.gif

I romanced Liara in ME 1.
I last minute romanced Garrus in ME 2.
Then in ME 3 I told Liara we were still together right after telling Garrus the same thing. Progressed on with Liara then (unintentionally) had a shower with Traynor and (intentionally) led on Allers.

So am I a bad person or is my female Shepard just easy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops go_quote.gif

They didn't get kinky no matter what I did. Disappointment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1718 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Mehehe!

Rep: 86 (Unique: 50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

I am forced to use it every day ay school, and used it for years all the way up to and including 7. I can honestly say I've had 10X more problems in windows then linux.

Personally I think the biggest risk/problem factor was and still is the user for most problems

Nice anecdotal experience from work: I rather have clueless female behind a PC rather then a man.

Female: I don't understand this, PANIC MODE, call IT support.
Male: I don't understand this, "Must investigate and adjust this myself and break stuff because I actually have no idea *** I'm doing" - MODE, call IT support when everything is completely FUBAR.

As far as Windows goes, if used by someone who knows what he is doing, ever since Windows 7, is rather good imo and Windows 8 (leaving the new Metro menu out of it) is even better resource wise.

Though I've dabbled with Linux (XUbuntu)at work lately and I'm amazed at how it can still run fairly decently on even the crappiest machines. But alas I still play way to much games atm. If directx ever dies a cold bloody death and everything goes openGL I might consider a switch though.

The only OS I truely hate is OSX lol but that's a bit of a personal matter. I just can't wrap my head around Apple products. I wanted to set up some network stuff for an Apple product and I couldn't figure it out because... it was so userfriendly. It's so userfriendly but at the same time so illogical for technical people imo.

The first time I used a Linux distro I had no clue were to start but I got everything up and running faster then on an Apple product because I had control over stuff, all I had to do was some research and the stuff I was doing actually MADE SENSE from my point of view.

post #1715 of 1718 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My 2 cents : with the recent build, I decided to move immediately to Linux (the old machine had run for 2 weeks in linux mode prior to the build in a dualboot) without installing Windows(not that I found it bad, ever since 7 I liked it, but the saving of the addtional cost was welcome). So here I was a pretty complete noob to the linux environment. Having installed thunderbird/firefox as portable on the windows machine allowed me to take the harddrive out of it, and point the profiles in linux install to the folders, easy peasy if you do some lookup work. The wife's happy using it now, getting slowly to find her way about a bit. For normal use, I find linux not very much different to windows. Getting down to business does require some work now and again. Had some work to get a cardreader installed for reading my electronic ID and even had to install a driver to get fancontrol/pwmconfig to see the fans.

So for normal day to day work, mail/internet/the odd picture management/standard office tasks/music linux is definitely on par with windows and should not bother windows users when switching over, just a few weeks of adjustment.

Exotic wishes in terms of hardware, more in-depth-tuning/tweaking/fiddling, specific software(gaming, specialized software,..) might give users a lot more headaches smile.gif . Some things might even not be doable under linux.

One important lesson I've learnt, get help, go on forums, google like hell, usually a solution or workaround is there in the vast internet world.
post #1716 of 1718 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director9 View Post

My 2 cents : with the recent build, I decided to move immediately to Linux (the old machine had run for 2 weeks in linux mode prior to the build in a dualboot) without installing Windows(not that I found it bad, ever since 7 I liked it, but the saving of the addtional cost was welcome). So here I was a pretty complete noob to the linux environment. Having installed thunderbird/firefox as portable on the windows machine allowed me to take the harddrive out of it, and point the profiles in linux install to the folders, easy peasy if you do some lookup work. The wife's happy using it now, getting slowly to find her way about a bit. For normal use, I find linux not very much different to windows. Getting down to business does require some work now and again. Had some work to get a cardreader installed for reading my electronic ID and even had to install a driver to get fancontrol/pwmconfig to see the fans.

So for normal day to day work, mail/internet/the odd picture management/standard office tasks/music linux is definitely on par with windows and should not bother windows users when switching over, just a few weeks of adjustment.

Exotic wishes in terms of hardware, more in-depth-tuning/tweaking/fiddling, specific software(gaming, specialized software,..) might give users a lot more headaches smile.gif . Some things might even not be doable under linux.

One important lesson I've learnt, get help, go on forums, google like hell, usually a solution or workaround is there in the vast internet world.

That's the great thing about Firefox and Thunderbird, they're multi-platform, so you can share your user profiles between Windows & Linux.

As for tweaking, you can do a lot more in Linux, but it's more technical. On the plus side, in Linux you don't need to hunt down drivers, everything is included in the kernel or installable from a secure Package Manager. And.... no viruses!
post #1717 of 1718 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Sorry to say, these drivers I did have to search for, had to get a package from elsewhere, specifically the nct6791 . Well maybe it was available through the Package Manager, but I didn't readily find it that way. For the cardreader several packages were available but it took some time figuring out which one I really needed, some contradictory solutions out there (it is to say, very different solutions smile.gif )
post #1718 of 1718 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Linux Noob

Rep: 41 (Unique: 37)
I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now run Linux!

I didn't even bother to dual boot. I'm not going back.
The only thing I can't do is run EA's Star Wars Battlefront, which is a fun game on ORIGIN.

Mint has made it easy. If you haven't tried linux, now's the time.

I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now run Linux!
The Beagle Box
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8086K
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
RAM
G.Skill Flare X 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL14 Dual Channel
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB MLC V-NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000P2 1000 Watt 80 Plus Platinum Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
Swiftech 220X2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation 120mm Case Fan
Case
Corsair Vengeance C70
Operating System
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.0
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in