Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge for you.

post #11 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 87)
Did he give up? Hurry back!!!

Wet Blue Sand 5.0ghz CPU-Z Validation
Mobile Devices: T-Mobile LG G3 & Samsung Note 10.1
Canon T3i | 18-55mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm IS USM
Playing ArcheAge & Battlefield 4 [PC] - Steam: Sistum_Id - Orgin: Sistum_Id - XBL: Sistum Id
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistum Id View Post
I downloaded Ubuntu the other day but havent got around to trying it out. I came across the Vista (Aero) Vs Ubuntu (Beryl) few days ago and I was very fascinated with Beryl. So I went and downloaded a copy of Ubuntu but havent got the time.

Why cant Linux run todays games? Whats the problem?

I made the jump to Vista month or so ago when I saw that Ultimate had this thing called Dreamscene (yes am a sucker for eyecandy). Is it possible for Ubuntu to have something like Dreamscene? (looped motion desktop)
Linux can run games just not most of the high profile games becuase they are designed specifically for Windows. Also Linux lacks a thing called DirectX. I HATE YOU MICROSOFT! You can run some games through emulators like WOW and such and some OpenGl games. Beryl is way better than aero and even Dreamscene.

I love linux and would use as my 24/7 os if it could play all the games I wanted it too.

post #13 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 830 (Unique: 654)
I have tried using Knoppix, but just can't figure it out.
I have been debating trying a permanant installed Linux on an old PC sitting in my garage (if I can get it working) just to try and have a 24/7 folding system.

As said above though, I don't really want to try and figure out a new OS when the one I have works fine. I can't remember the last time Windows crashed on me (that was not an overclock related issue).

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 263 (Unique: 195)
I had far less errors, bugs, etc in Linux versus XP. HOWEVER, i have had far less errors running Vista than Linux or XP. Linux is fine and all, and i would use it if i could at least run some of the software i needed. Not just games, but including games. I know there are plenty of free open source alternatives, but rarely do they match what can be run on Windows. Windows is extremely user friendly, Linux, until recently, has not been. I have noticed it has been getting more user friendly, and by that i mean using the Command Line/Terminal less. The average person doesnt want to have to look up on the internet how to do simple things in their OS. I have used Linux on and off plenty, and at first it is a pain in the ass to get running how i want with all the software and abilities installed (media players, mp3 support, etc). Then somethings screws up somehow. On numerous occasions something happened (kernal update i think) that caused me to not be able to boot into Linux anymore. Also, i got about as much "Program not responding" in Linux as i did XP.

The main things holding Linux back: Software (including games), and user friendliness. The latter is getting better, but once that improves even more and more people start to use Linux, then the software will slowly begin to come.

As far as a free OS goes, Linux is great.

That is my take on Linux.

post #15 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
Here is my challenge: Install Linux, set it up how you like it, and run it for a week or so – and I'm talking really run it (this is the important bit) – do not boot Windows unless you really have to (so for games, or whatever). If you find that OK, continue running it for up to a month – then go back and try out running Windows again. Which do you prefer? I guarantee you will prefer Linux. The big problem is the first step, once you are running Linux, Windows is an unattractive offer.

And that is it. If there is anything I have missed, or a reason why you are not trying Linux – do tell me and I'll try to address it. Linux is not perfect, but I do believe strongly it is the best Operating System out there.
What distro of linux would you suggest for people starting off?

post #16 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
I have tried using Knoppix, but just can't figure it out.
I have been debating trying a permanant installed Linux on an old PC sitting in my garage (if I can get it working) just to try and have a 24/7 folding system.

As said above though, I don't really want to try and figure out a new OS when the one I have works fine. I can't remember the last time Windows crashed on me (that was not an overclock related issue).
Ya try linux out on that old box. I first tried Xubuntu on a P3 400mhz, 192mb RAM, 10gb HD, box. And I loved it, fairly easy to set it up too. Actually the older system the easier it is too set it up.

post #17 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 830 (Unique: 654)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdueman View Post
Ya try linux out on that old box. I first tried Xubuntu on a P3 400mhz, 192mb RAM, 10gb HD, box. And I loved it, fairly easy to set it up too. Actually the older system the easier it is too set it up.
I think it is a P III 8-900 mhz with 256mb ram and a 9 gig HD.
I need to figure out what is wrong with it (I think IDE1 is bad) so it won't boot.
If I can get it working, I may just give it a try (Ubuntu would be the best to try?).

That is part of the problem too, too many different versions of Linux.
Lude brings up a good point also, user interface is much easier (and idiot proof) with Windows. My daughter figured out the basics of Windows @ age 3. Just poing and click, no typing needed. Linux, from my little experience is much more difficult.

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!

post #18 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
That is part of the problem too, too many different versions of Linux.
Lude brings up a good point also, user interface is much easier (and idiot proof) with Windows. My daughter figured out the basics of Windows @ age 3. Just poing and click, no typing needed. Linux, from my little experience is much more difficult.
I beg to differ. I had my mom and my sister using Xubuntu for a couple of months until we got a new computer. They noticed it was different, but they got by and did there tasks. Email, internet, word documents, and etc. If my mom can survive on linux anyone can. My mom has had more trouble learning Vista than Xubuntu actually.

Trust my try Xubuntu on that old P3.

post #19 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 87)
Well I will be installing Ubuntu tonight on my test laptop and see how it goes. If I like it...then maybe this Thursday Ill install Ubuntu on my main machine. As long as I can run Rappelz on it then Ill be happy.

Wet Blue Sand 5.0ghz CPU-Z Validation
Mobile Devices: T-Mobile LG G3 & Samsung Note 10.1
Canon T3i | 18-55mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm IS USM
Playing ArcheAge & Battlefield 4 [PC] - Steam: Sistum_Id - Orgin: Sistum_Id - XBL: Sistum Id
post #20 of 1718 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
Nice post but sadly i think we are fighting a losing battle. I think for most people it's a case of if it's not broken why fix it and also gaming is a massive turn off for most people.

I just wish everybody on ocn with duals/quads would run a 64bit distro and get smp folding so we can really start raping the teams above us

#1 - The first rule of Infraction Club is, you do not talk about Infraction Club.
#2 - The second rule of Infraction Club is, you DO NOT talk about Infraction Club!!

Basically Random Idiotic Terrible Insanely Stupid Humour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in