Never been convinced by Windows? Here is a challenge for you. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Never been convinced by Windows? Here is a challenge for you.

post #1 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1516 (Unique: 918)
(With apologies in advance to lattyware for the clear satire)

Windows.

This thread is aimed at the people who have heard the name, maybe even tried it in the past. This thread is aimed at getting people to try -- and I mean really try -- Windows. I see a lot of people commenting on Windows, saying why they don't use it, and a lot of what is being said is flat out wrong, misguided, or without proof or reason.

So, this is my challenge to you: Try Windows properly (read on for what I mean) -- and then form an opinion. One outcome could be you running Windows, but at the same time the outcome could be you saying "Windows simply isn't practical for me to use daily" or "I tried it, and I don't like it, and here's why." This is not a thread of zealotry telling you that Windows is the best operating system made and everyone should run it right now, no exceptions. That simply isn't true.

Now I've used Windows since version 3.0 and DOS before that and I am telling you that Windows is worth trying -- that you might find it better. There is a reason for this. Windows is an extremely good OS that has a lot of upsides. Windows users tend to be proactive about their OS, partly because of the Microsoft philosophy, and partly because they were in the same place you were before, and 'saw the light,' as it were.

There are a great number of reasons why you might want to run Windows. "Came with my computer," "I was already taxed for it," "everybody understands it" might be arguments you've heard before but I am going to try to give you some real reasons.

1) Games
Windows is a great OS for playing video games, sometimes even exceeding dedicated game consoles. Microsoft put a lot of work in making sure that Windows is the best gaming OS available and it shows. They even have the best versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper available anywhere for any OS.

2) Openness
MS has also spent over a decade making Windows the most open platform possible, so that viruses written 5 to 10 years ago will still run on the latest computers with Vista SP1 and Windows 7, and so that new viruses will work even more effectively. Internet Explorer and Windows Mail (formerly Outlook Express) have been specially designed to make sure that you can easily download viruses and spyware, just as soon as you disable the highly obnoxious security features which help prevent it.

With the advent of 64-bit Windows, there are very few viruses and spyware that actually work on the 64-bit platform (since they mostly all assume the platform is 32 bits and act accordingly) but as more and more people make the switch, virus writers will also switch to 64-bit.

3) Choice
Everybody is different and so some people want to run things other than what Microsoft ships with the OS and the automatically installed viruses and spyware available from the Internet. Windows has available millions of third-party software packages which do everything under the sun, and some of them actually work. A special class of software will uninstall viruses and spyware from your computer, but not all of them, since some are required to keep the IT support industry in business.

4) Reliability
Over the years Microsoft has made Windows even more reliable, by having the computer automatically restart when a STOP error occurs, and automatically checking the Internet to find a nonexistent solution to the problem. In accordance with choice, you can disable this so that you can stare at the blue screen of death all day if you want. Windows adds hundreds of new APIs for hardware drivers to generate STOP errors with each release.

5) Performance
Microsoft has a team of highly skilled programmers dedicated to eliminating Windows performance wherever they can find it. And it shows: benchmarks for Vista are consistently lower than those for XP. Unfortunately much of the performance came back with Vista SP1, and Windows 7 gained even more performance. Microsoft is sure to fix this problem in the future.

6) Innovation
Windows was the first OS to ship a Texas Hold'em game. Though it doesn't come with your computer, you have to pay $319 for Windows 7 Ultimate, and then download it. By using as much bandwidth as possible, Microsoft helps to drive the growth of the Internet and faster download speeds for everyone. In addition, a new major version of Windows comes out about once every five to seven years. With every Microsoft office stocked with standup arcade games and pool tables, their programmers can easily think up new features over a game of 9-ball or Donkey Kong (!).

7) Looks
Every new release of Windows improves on the look and feel of the operating system. With an upgraded GUI design, new artwork, backgrounds and screen savers, Windows 7 looks better than ever. You can always count on Microsoft to have a visually appealing operating system which requires expensive graphics cards to take full advantage of, just in order to view the upgraded GUI. This helps to keep the video card industry in business.

8) Customization
Windows has way more internal settings than its control panel exposes, and with third-party software you can enable hidden features, reskin the GUI, destabilize your system, and much more. There are so many options available you can spend years just customizing your system until the next version of Windows comes out.

9) Industry Support
Microsoft is good for the entire IT industry. Through the reasons shown above, Windows helps to drive a thriving business in PC hardware, software and support services, and this helps keep millions of people in East Asia employed.

These are just some of the reasons you might want to run Windows.

Now you are probably thinking there are some good reasons not to run my challenge, like:

1) I can't be bothered to learn something new.
This is true, and ignorance is bliss. People don't want to have to set everything up, and I sympathize with this, but it does pay off. In the end, if you can't be bothered, you can't be bothered. I'm just trying to say I think you should be bothered. If you use Windows long enough, you may wind up smashing your PC with a sledgehammer and having to buy a whole new PC. This helps create PC industry jobs, both in Asia and right here in the U.S. where they're desperately needed.

2) I don't want to lose everything!
You don't have to -- dual booting is there! Installing Windows does not mean removing your normal OS though Windows will helpfully hide it from you. It's easy enough to find again though and go back and forth if you want.

3) I need my command line power!
Well you're in luck because Windows now comes with PowerShell which is a totally revamped command line environment with the word "power" in its name and where none of the commands make any sense whatsoever. For a more traditional experience you can also install Services for Unix which has a more traditional command line environment that Microsoft purchased in the 1980s and never updated.

4) I tried Windows a while ago and I didn't find it interesting.
Yeah, 2000 wasn't as interesting as XP, and XP wasn't as interesting as Vista, and Vista isn't as interesting as Windows 7. Remember Windows is a moving operating system -- if you haven't tried Windows in five years or so, I would recommend you try it again -- you might be pleasantly surprised and find a whole new set of problems to resolve.

5) Drivers are a hassle.
Not any more. Now all you have to do is throw in the CDs that came with your system components and you can get all your drivers installed in just four or five hours. Sometimes you can even find updated drivers on the Internet. And if you're especially lucky, Windows will actually find the drivers for you.

Now, if after reading through, you want to try Windows, that's great. If you are planning to, I recommend you use Windows 7 Home Premium. It only has a retail price of $199 so you'll save a lot of money over Windows 7 Ultimate which only has Texas Hold'em and a bunch of useless screensavers you'll never use anyway. Feel free to try out any version you like, of course.

There are some common pitfalls to avoid:

1) Windows isn't Linux.
Don't expect everything to be the same. Don't expect to run the exact same software. Don't expect everything to work the same way. Ask around when you need to do something so a more experienced Windows user can tell you how to work around Windows' design flaws, and go with the flow.

2) Installing it and never booting it.
You won't like Windows if you just go in and "try it out." You'll get bored staring at Defrag, and boot back to Linux. Actually do tasks you want to complete in Windows. It usually takes 3 to 7 days of continuous use for you to get locked in, and 90 to 120 days of use to start suffering permanent brain damage. So you need to actually try to use Windows even if it is frustrating those first few days.

3) Trying it for 10 minutes and deciding it's too much hassle.
Windows isn't hard to use, but it does take several days to customize your desktop and to install all the little apps and utilities that other OSes already come with but Windows doesn't. The big hurdle to get past is the first week or two of usage where you're still setting everything up.

So that is it. My challenge is given. Run Windows for a few weeks properly, booting into other OSes as little as possible, and see what you think. Please don't respond before doing this -- the point of this thread is not to argue my points. Try it out and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I strongly believe Windows is a great OS, and should have a larger userbase, simply because it is a better and easier to use OS than people seem to think.

Sig Messages:

I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now have a codependent relationship with Windows!

Code:
I did [thread=402133]error10's Windows Challenge[/thread] and [b]I now have a codependent relationship with Windows![/b] :heart:
I did error10's Windows Challenge and Windows now runs me!

Code:
I did [thread=402133]error10's Windows Challenge[/thread] and [b]Windows now runs me![/b] :specool:
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now have lost two IQ points!

Code:
I did [thread=402133]error10's Windows Challenge[/thread] and [b]I now have lost two IQ points![/b] :2cents:
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now live in a mental institution!

Code:
I did [thread=402133]error10's Windows Challenge[/thread] and [b]I now live in a mental institution![/b] :sick:

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now am an MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert! graduated.gif
Sorry, I'm unable to provide technical support in private messages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 726 (Unique: 481)
HAHAHAHAHA, that made my day!

post #3 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
So many words...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 557 (Unique: 404)
it's not the issue of people never being convinced by Windows... It's the fact that most people have been convinced by Windows and form an ignorant respect towards other operating systems such as Linux.

The only reason I still use Windows in addition to Linux is points 1 (directX) and 9 (driver support - CREATIVE :swearing above, and i'm hoping the Linux industry will improve on those two.

post #5 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM

This thread sucks.
post #6 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 132)
Epic thread is epic.
post #7 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 71)
Exactly.

For general computing and gaming (Everything more or less) use Windows.
For Programming, Coding, hacking; use Linux and it's derivatives. (Stability)
For media use MAC. (Still, why would you )

All systems server a purpose.

~If I can reach just 1 person, regardless of how many I pi$$ off, I can die happy.~
My Audio (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Audio Home:
1. FLAC > Foobar2K > Digital-Out > DAC > 6922EH Tube Amp > ATH-AD700 | DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm)
2. FLAC > Foobar2K > Digital-Out > Onkyo TX-SR605 > Dali Concept 10's

Audio Portable:
1. iPod > MP3 320 > Line-Out > Fiio E7 > DT 770 Pro
2. NetBook > FLAC > Foobar2K > Fiio E7 > DT 770 Pro

post #8 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1516 (Unique: 918)
Linux isn't good for your mom who just wants to browse the web and check email? Wouldn't you rather have a nice fulfilling conversation with her next time she calls, instead of tech support questions?

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now am an MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert! graduated.gif
Sorry, I'm unable to provide technical support in private messages.

post #9 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 112)
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Linux isn't good for your mom who just wants to browse the web and check email? Wouldn't you rather have a nice fulfilling conversation with her next time she calls, instead of tech support questions?
I don't know if there would be any fewer "tech support" questions using linux for the web, email, and to write some documents. On both Windows AND Linux you could have very similar problems, like opening certain file formats, downloading attachments, etc. I deal with ignorant users daily, they never learn, it wouldn't matter what OS they're using, they're going to have an issue with something.

post #10 of 268 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I tried Linux once.
It looked pretty cool.

...But, then I opened up the music player. It wouldn't play anything. After searching forums and guides, I was told that I had to code a driver for mp3 playback into the program. That kinda just turned me off from it.

Now, don't get me wrong, anyone who uses Linux deserves some respect for being patient enough to get through the setup of everything like that. I still would like to put Linux on my laptop once I build a new PC so I can learn Linux, but I don't have the time or interest/motivation to do it right now.

-EDIT-
One thing I would like to note about my Windows experience:
I have only experienced the BSOD once when not overclocking memory. It was on my old HP pc, and it was a memory issue. Back then I didn't know how to fix it though so I had to get some help, but I ended up just getting a stick of 512mb ddr. Sure, I have dealt with many viruses and spyware, but none on my PC. Never ONCE have I had malware or a virus/worm/trojan/whatever.
My mom has and my grandpa has, but I fixed both of those in about 15-30min time. I just don't see what the fuss is about malicious software. It's not hard to avoid...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in